2019 Skate Canada Day 2: Thoughts and Highlights | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2019 Skate Canada Day 2: Thoughts and Highlights

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'd like to put a :agree: for the gala as well.

The highlights for me:

Yuzu. The gasp from the audience when he came out in the PW costume said it all. And dare I say it, I really really really liked this performance. Maybe I'm projecting, but it seemed so mature and confident. And relaxed. I was impressed, even more than I usually am by the likes of Mr. Hanyu ;)

Kaitlin and JeanLuc
:rofl:
The king and queen of comedic exhibitions. The music, the tutus, the steps. They need to be on permanent gala duty at all times. :)

I also so enjoyed Jean Luc ...he's the best!
And of course, Yuzu's Parisiene Walkways blew the roof off. Imagine doing a tough competition, and then another full SP in Exhibition afterward. :love:
The finale was also well done by everyone, I just wish the camera work could have been a bit better.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Did they capture in recording the twizzles or whatever it’s called BK did just before coming of the ice after GP?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I also so enjoyed Jean Luc ...he's the best!
And of course, Yuzu's Parisiene Walkways blew the roof off. Imagine doing a tough competition, and then another full SP in Exhibition afterward. :love:
The finale was also well done by everyone, I just wish the camera work could have been a bit better.

Someone has already done a side-by-side comparison of Yuzu's 19-year-old- Olympic PW with the mature version at SC....

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
The Gala will be broadcast on TSN2 this Sunday, November 3rd at 8 - 10 PM. :)

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Trusova skate of course was a highlight for me. Her power of will when she did clean skate after the fall - is unprecedented :thumbsup:
The judging wasn't that bad as it was in first event too - which let me enjoy it much more. Still, it was far from ideal - ignoring Young You's HUGE UR on her 3A in SP and raising her PCS like she showed Kostornaia's level of quality there was.. surprising, mildly speaking. One can even say that Bradie was robbed - considering that she got some of her usual URs called at last - while You didn't. Still, I don't care about internal struggles of other federations as long as it doesn't concern my faves, tbh. And I can see it as a work of Japanese tech caller trying to make more chances for her country athletes in other GP events - using You as a temporary weapon. Whatever. The same can be said about couple of Rika's ignored URs as well - it doesn't trigger me as long as tech callers don't try to misjudge my faves making up fake calls or applying double standarts of judging. This time considering that Trusova was really clean and her only UR on a fallen 4S was ignored too - I can even forgive dubious 2nd level of step sequence in the short and ignoring URs of others. They need to make an illusion of close competition after all :confused2:
Ah, and Medvedeva was overscored through the roof as usual too. As Daleman. Both of them should be under Sakhanovich after the short. What they showed on ice you can't call even a program. However, when disaster skate is occuring with Konstantinova, for example - it's fair and expected to have 5s in PCS. Not for those two, though :rolleye:

1111bm

Final Flight
Trusova skate of course was a highlight for me. Her power of will when she did clean skate after the fall - is unprecedented :thumbsup:
The judging wasn't that bad as it was in first event too - which let me enjoy it much more. Still, it was far from ideal - ignoring Young You's HUGE UR on her 3A in SP and raising her PCS like she showed Kostornaia's level of quality there was.. surprising, mildly speaking. One can even say that Bradie was robbed - considering that she got some of her usual URs called at last - while You didn't. Still, I don't care about internal struggles of other federations as long as it doesn't concern my faves, tbh. And I can see it as a work of Japanese tech caller trying to make more chances for her country athletes in other GP events - using You as a temporary weapon. Whatever. The same can be said about couple of Rika's ignored URs as well - it doesn't trigger me as long as tech callers don't try to misjudge my faves making up fake calls or applying double standarts of judging. This time considering that Trusova was really clean and her only UR on a fallen 4S was ignored too - I can even forgive dubious 2nd level of step sequence in the short and ignoring URs of others. They need to make an illusion of close competition after all :confused2:
Ah, and Medvedeva was overscored through the roof as usual too. As Daleman. Both of them should be under Sakhanovich after the short. What they showed on ice you can't call even a program. However, when disaster skate is occuring with Konstantinova, for example - it's fair and expected to have 5s in PCS. Not for those two, though :rolleye:

Absolutely agree with those two points. I mean, I get some lenience or inflation based on a skater's reputation or the perception of their overall high technical prowess, but come on, that was ridiculous.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

So basically, both Trusova and Medvedeva fell, but because you like Trusova, she deserves her 8s in PCS but because you dislike Medvedeva, she deserves 5s.

Very objective.

readernick

Medalist
So basically, both Trusova and Medvedeva fell, but because you like Trusova, she deserves her 8s in PCS but because you dislike Medvedeva, she deserves 5s.

Very objective.

Well, yes. The above poster is always objective and never has any conspiracy theories to offer or complaints about the overscoring of any skater who isn't on Team Eteri( so weird to have teams in figure skating because it is an individual sport.. but there is definitely a "team" mentality now) . The above poster also never sees URs that don't exist in the skating of those he/ she hasn't chosen as a favorite.
����������

readernick

Medalist

I knew the conspiracy post would come this week, too. Thanks for keeping your regular schedule 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
And I can see it as a work of Japanese tech caller trying to make more chances for her country athletes in other GP events - using You as a temporary weapon.
1) No one individual gets to determine those things.

2) Seeing as you then go on to admit that you felt there were uncalled URs for Russian skaters (you cite Trusova, but Lazukin would be another obvious example, so much so that the TSN broadcast actually highlighted it), why exactly is there some nefarious agenda behind some of them, but not others?

This time considering that Trusova was really clean and her only UR on a fallen 4S was ignored too - I can even forgive dubious 2nd level of step sequence in the short and ignoring URs of others.
"Dubious" why, exactly? Trusova is hardly one of the most skilled at turns, etc., it's far from strange that she wouldn't get a higher level, particularly as there were quite a few level 2s at this event.

Elucidus

Match Penalty

Very objective.

Yes, of course. Medvedeva fell in the short AND completely ruined her program presentation. I talked about her short specifically. Trusova fell in a free BUT presentation of her program didn't suffer at all. See the difference? :sarcasm:

2) Seeing as you then go on to admit that you felt there were uncalled URs for Russian skaters (you cite Trusova, but Lazukin would be another obvious example, so much so that the TSN broadcast actually highlighted it), why exactly is there some nefarious agenda behind some of them, but not others?
Because of quantity and place/significance of certain URs. Occasional missed UR in a free is one thing. Multiple missed URs and clean protocol of one skater while having multiple called URs of another - is absolutely different thing. Also, for SP with only 3 jumping elements even one UR is matters. Formally being "technical" program and considering low number of jumps there - I believe each and every jump should be checked there scrupulously - despite how clean and effortless they looked in real time.
As for men competition - there was different panel. I didn't watch men except Yuzuru skate tbh as I am not very interested in men skating. So I can't say anything about that example for now.

"Dubious" why, exactly? Trusova is hardly one of the most skilled at turns, etc., it's far from strange that she wouldn't get a higher level, particularly as there were quite a few level 2s at this event.
Because she never get that level in last two years for example and her step sequence was always the same ? What is more likely - that multiple tech panels during all these years were always wrong or that single panel was wrong?

kkermit

On the Ice
Dance: H/D outfit and music choices need rethinking, they are so talented I have no clue how Marie France picked those programs for them..

I believe Hubbell is a big Marilyn fan. And MF usually lets her skaters choose the music anyways.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Yes, of course. Medvedeva fell in the short AND completely ruined her program presentation. I talked about her short specifically. Trusova fell in a free BUT presentation of her program didn't suffer at all. See the difference? :sarcasm:

Because of quantity and place/significance of certain URs. Occasional missed UR in a free is one thing. Multiple missed URs and clean protocol of one skater while having multiple called URs of another - is absolutely different thing. Also, for SP with only 3 jumping elements even one UR is matters. Formally being "technical" program and considering low number of jumps there - I believe each and every jump should be checked there scrupulously - despite how clean and effortless they looked in real time.
As for men competition - there was different panel. I didn't watch men except Yuzuru skate tbh as I am not very interested in men skating. So I can't say anything about that example for now.

Because she never get that level in last two years for example and her step sequence was always the same ? What is more likely - that multiple tech panels during all these years were always wrong or that single panel was wrong?

I understand that Medvedeva fell in the SP and Trusova fell in the FS, but whether or not you think a program or presentation was completely “ruined” by one fall is also subjective. Arguably, the only component of PCS that’s directly related to a fall is performance, and Medvedeva was marked nearly a full point lower for performance in the SP than she was in the FS. In contrast, Trusova’s score in performance was actually higher in the FS than in the SP, despite the fact that her fall was in the FS. Comparing the two programs with falls, Trusova’s FS performance mark was 8.64, versus 8.29 for Medvedeva.

Regarding Trusova’s step sequence, it doesn’t really matter what the she was called on it previously. It depends on what she did at this competition. If she missed a cluster, her level goes down.

ragdoll

On the Ice
The highlight for me was watching the talented and exquisite Kostornaia. I was really captured during her free skate. I also enjoyed Kevin Amoz and felt very, very sorry for poor Shoma Uno. I hope he got lots of support and hugs after his miserable skates and that he gets a good coach and comes back as the Shoma Uno we are used to.