2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
People are still unsure if the SP is Fire Within by Jennifer Thomas or not, but it seems very likely.
If so, I love both music choices. They seem to be more in the style of Rika's 2017-2018 programs, which are the styles I personally prefer her in. I loved Beautiful Storm, so these choices make me happy :D

Joekaz

On the Ice
The lead that Kaori has gotten during the 2018-2019 season won't deflate unless Wakaba start to be consistent with 3A. Even an inconsistent Kaori got better pcs than Wakaba in all programs last season, even when she did poorer (ex: nats, 4cc).
I think the scores Kaori got these last 3 years at nats and her assignements show the confidence that fed have in her abilities to deliver in big competitions. Getting the pcs she had in the free at last nats and the 4CC spot was quite generous.
I think i never saw scores that high in regionals (maybe Rika in her 1st season?)
Wakaba needs consistency first to compete with Kaori (get close to 75 in SP and 140+ in FS), then 3A to expect to beat a clean kaori.
That is my point. PCS is too heavily affected by outside issues other than the skater's performance on that day and their skating ability. That is why I have said in other responses that I think it's wise for Sakamoto to stop spending much time on seemingly fruitless 4T attempts and concentrate on being as clean as possible. Especially since she has clearly been favored by Japanese Fed vs Higuchi. This would put maximum pressure on Higuchi and others to get 3A and be clean in the race for the 2nd spot behind Rika. Ironically for Japanese Fed, while this strategy may work domestically, the lack of quad or 3A means that in a big international competition Higuchi actually would have better chance to podium.

kirauza343

On the Ice
People are still unsure if the SP is Fire Within by Jennifer Thomas or not, but it seems very likely.
If so, I love both music choices. They seem to be more in the style of Rika's 2017-2018 programs, which are the styles I personally prefer her in. I loved Beautiful Storm, so these choices make me happy :D
I hope that is Jennifer Thomas! Her music is such a good fit for Rika, and it fits the vibe of the choreography we’ve seen. I love both of the songs for her

readernick

Medalist
Jennifer Thomas is probably happy that Tom Dickson heard her song and picked it for Rika during her debut season. She has become a bit of a hit among choreographers recently. 😂 I am definitely a fan of that SP music for Rika. To me Rika's presence on the ice is strong but feminine. And the SP music ( If correct) conveys strength and power. I am less sure about the LP music, but I am sure I will like it when I see Rika skate.

kirauza343

On the Ice
I expected a more dynamic free program for once.
I’d call her last two free programs dynamic. I think it’ll be good for her to have to sell a free that’s so lyrical. Last year I felt her free music sort of swallowed her a little so having a song that’s simpler yet beautiful this year would really give her a chance to be more expressive.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I’d call her last two free programs dynamic. I think it’ll be good for her to have to sell a free that’s so lyrical. Last year I felt her free music sort of swallowed her a little so having a song that’s simpler yet beautiful this year would really give her a chance to be more expressive.
I guess "dynamic" has another meaning for me.
Her free programs so far are similar imo. But that's just my opinion.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Rika's ISU bio was updated. It now says that she is coached by Stephane Lambiel.

Not surprised tbh. Without being able to enter Canada anytime soon, she had to find a different coach.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Rika's ISU bio was updated. It now says that she is coached by Stephane Lambiel.

Not surprised tbh. Without being able to enter Canada anytime soon, she had to find a different coach.
Honestly, I’m so surprised that even Switzerland is easier to enter than Canada. It doesn’t seem like a government, that gives out visas and permits easily. I mean, not from my experience.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Honestly, I’m so surprised that even Switzerland is easier to enter than Canada. It doesn’t seem like a government, that gives out visas and permits easily. I mean, not from my experience.
Most European countries did not close their borders during lockdown and some only for a few weeks. I know many people who went on holidays to Switzerland, Netherlands and co. during quarantine, even in May, without any problems. Canada seems to be the most strict currently.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Most European countries did not close their borders during lockdown and some only for a few weeks. I know many people who went on holidays to Switzerland, Netherlands and co. during quarantine, even in May, without any problems. Canada seems to be the most strict currently.
They didn’t close borders between each other and a handful of other countries, but obtaining new visas was probably complicated for people outside of Shengen area generally speaking. Yeah, but Canada seems pretty strict compared to most countries in the world.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
They didn’t close borders between each other and a handful of other countries, but obtaining new visas was probably complicated for people outside of Shengen area generally speaking. Yeah, but Canada seems pretty strict compared to most countries in the world.
Alexia was able to enter Switzerland from the US during the summer, so seems like Switzerland is not that strict, considering that the US has such a high number of cases and many other countries are not allowing US citizens to enter. That they would let Rika in was not a surprise considering that Japan has a low number of cases compared to other countries.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Alexia was able to enter Switzerland from the US during the summer, so seems like Switzerland is not that strict, considering that the US has such a high number of cases and many other countries are not allowing US citizens to enter. That they would let Rika in was not a surprise considering that Japan has a low number of cases compared to other countries.
Not getting too much into it, but Alexia probably hold Swiss citizenship, since she represented them at Olympics. So likely, she could enter at any point.
nevertheless, happy it worked out for both of them! Especially, given everything we are going through right now.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Not getting too much into it, but Alexia probably hold Swiss citizenship, since she represented them at Olympics. So likely, she could enter at any point.
nevertheless, happy it worked out for both of them! Especially, given everything we are going through right now.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. :palmf:

kirauza343

On the Ice
Not surprising, but it’s nice to know for sure. Her coaching’s been a question mark for a while now so it’s good that she has an official coach.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Hamada in name only, I assume? Otherwise I am not sure in what capacity she could contribute to coaching Rika.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
What??? Noooo

I thought we settled this with her going to Stephane!

WHY RIKA WHY BABY!!!!????? WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!??????

Stay in Switzerland, do your 3As and quads with Shoma and the boys and go hiking in the mountains with your new friends!!!!!!!