2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
So apparently Rika was in fact considering a move to Plushenko? Oh god, I hoped he was bluffing.

https://www.nikkan-gendai.com/articles/view/sports/279649/2 via google translate

Information on "studying under Plushenko" to Rika Kihira who gave up going to Canada

According to European media such as Russia, the name of the Russian emperor has emerged as a new coach to replace Mr. Orser. Evgeni Plushenko (37), who stood at the top of nine times in total at the Olympics, World Championships and GP Finals. Currently, he runs skating classes in Russia, mainly in Moscow, and is working hard to train the next generation of top skaters, mainly juniors.

Kihira is currently communicating with Mr. Plushenko of Moscow through online such as SNS and receiving specific acting advice.

Kihira has been whispering a feud with coach Mie Hamada, who has been instructed for a long time, due to a disagreement over the practice method. It is said that the reason why the coach was changed from Canadian to Russian this time is because he prioritized overcoming the challenges, although it was influenced by the coronavirus wreck.

Kihira is improving his jumping and skating skills by succeeding in the quadruple salchow, which is said to be difficult for girls to practice in the off-season. On the other hand, there remains a problem with expressiveness, which is said to be inferior to overseas players. The aim is to improve his level by studying under Plushenko, who used his expressive power to express emotions as a weapon when he was active.

Can the Russian coach's guidance destroy the Russian stronghold?

Dogo

On the Ice
I really wish the best for Plushy. I think he can achieve great things as a coach but taking Kihira seems to be a bad choice in the long term for his team. It could even cause a small internal war for coach attention that was promised by him to the other skaters. I support Kihira 100% with Lambiel and hope that Plushenko understands that by taking her a "spill-over" star student effect could cause him trouble in his coaching career (meaning that by taking Kihira, Trusova and Kostornaia may feel a bit too crowded and start having second thoughts about this new arrangement). He is a promising coach but he has to know his limits.

lady_bee

Medalist
https://www.nikkan-gendai.com/articles/view/sports/279649/2 via google translate

Information on "studying under Plushenko" to Rika Kihira who gave up going to Canada

According to European media such as Russia, the name of the Russian emperor has emerged as a new coach to replace Mr. Orser. Evgeni Plushenko (37), who stood at the top of nine times in total at the Olympics, World Championships and GP Finals. Currently, he runs skating classes in Russia, mainly in Moscow, and is working hard to train the next generation of top skaters, mainly juniors.

Kihira is currently communicating with Mr. Plushenko of Moscow through online such as SNS and receiving specific acting advice.

Kihira has been whispering a feud with coach Mie Hamada, who has been instructed for a long time, due to a disagreement over the practice method. It is said that the reason why the coach was changed from Canadian to Russian this time is because he prioritized overcoming the challenges, although it was influenced by the coronavirus wreck.

Kihira is improving his jumping and skating skills by succeeding in the quadruple salchow, which is said to be difficult for girls to practice in the off-season. On the other hand, there remains a problem with expressiveness, which is said to be inferior to overseas players. The aim is to improve his level by studying under Plushenko, who used his expressive power to express emotions as a weapon when he was active.

Can the Russian coach's guidance destroy the Russian stronghold?
I think it's too early to take it seriously, because "Nikkan-Gendai", plushyfan quote, is a kind of tabloid, which often publish topics based on nothing but rumor, or pictures focusing female skaters' butt.  I want more reliable information.

Last edited:

skycastles

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Does anyone know what happened to Mako? She was one of my favorite skaters back in 2018 and she had a really nice long program that I think got her on the podium at skate Canada. I really liked her skating but she kind of seemed to disappear

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone know what happened to Mako? She was one of my favorite skaters back in 2018 and she had a really nice long program that I think got her on the podium at skate Canada. I really liked her skating but she kind of seemed to disappear
She was at Japan Open and she did really good.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I don’t think anything in particular really happened. Mako has always been technically inconsistent even in juniors and I guess after 2018 Skate Canada that inconsistency just started to get worse and kept hammering her down the standings. She also regularly struggles with URs and downgrades (her jumps have fantastic height but it seems she can’t complete the rotation sometimes).

Personally, I’ve also always thought that her team needs to package her better (similar to Mai Mihara). While I enjoyed her Nocturne and Madame Butterfly (senior version) programs, her programs seem to have a recurring soft character, and even somewhat of a generic princess type of feel? So I guess her Scent of a Woman FS last season was an experiment, but unfortunately that program was pretty bad...:slink:

That being said, I do think the program she showed at Japan Open a couple weeks ago was quite nice. She’s someone I’ve been rooting for as well and I hope that program (and whatever her SP is!) can help her move up the standings again.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
In the 2019 season, Mako injured her insteps during the summer and she could not practice jumps until September. Mako only showed at the NHK Cup that year, hoping to do her best despite the leg injuries. The new season is her comeback season as she has made a full recovery. Mako did better than Wakaba Higuchi, who landed the opening triple axel but missed a couple of other triple jumps at the Japan Open.

Japan Open Ladies
1 Mako Yamashita 126.94
2 Wakaba Higuchi 123.01
3 Tomoe Kawabata 112.63
4 Yuhana Yokoi 109.57
5 Hana Yoshida 107.56
6 Chisato Uramatsu 95.70

Last edited:

skycastles

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Sorry, I've been a bit out of the loop so that's why I didn't see her at the Japanese Open. I'm sorry to hear about her injury in 2019 but It's nice that she been able to make such a good comeback! Thanks for the information (also agree, it would be nice if she had some stronger packaging)

c3zara

On the Ice
Country
Romania
Yes, she was injured last season and had to water down her layouts. I can’t wait to see her skate this season. I like Mako’s new FS quite a lot, the SP is recycled and it’s not my cup of tea. She’ll skate at NHK Cup this season. If that event happens...

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
There is a local competition ‘All Hyogo’ on going this weeken. Both Kaori and Mai enter the competition. SP has just finished. The scores reported are as:

1 Kaori Sakamoto 76.10
2 Mai Mihara 63.10 (upgrading the jump combo to 3Lz3T, seemed to be having problems with landing the 2nd jump in combination)

FS will be held tomorrow.

(Adding: In local news report)

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Kaori said in the interview that she's been working on the spin and steps. It's obvious as she got all level 4 for both SP and FS.
Sakamoto’s on a mission to refeem herself! Spins were her weak points, but she’s definitely improved; it seems she’s been working on her flexibility. I noticed her new and improved layback immediately. This is the sort of thing I like to hear: working on non-jump elements to grab those points (no more losing levels!) instead of splatting on a Hail Mary 4T. Work on the basics first, then train a 4T, but don’t put it into your programs until you have a consistent land rate.

Higuchi will land a great 3A very soon, but I’m pretty indifferent to that. A 3A in the free skate is simply not enough (not anymore) and she needs to take a page from Sakamoto’s book because I definitely see her losing (and easily) to Sakamoto, 3A or no.

Yamashita is hungry.

... but Kihira is hungrier. The 4S is looking good y’all! But I guess we won’t see it until Nationals? The pandemic seemed to actually do her some good. She never had to “get back” her jumps as she never lost them in the first place. She was landing 3As and 3F combos immediately after returning to training.

This may be a bit off-topic, but I’ll mention it. I’ve noticed that Japanese ladies (on both senior and junior level) generally don’t do Eulers. 3-3-2 is apparently a thing. And 3-2-2 of course. So I asked about it and the answer I got was a firm shake of the head and “No, no, they’re not pretty. Do three jumps, not mistake in between jumps.” That’s basically the gist of what I was told.