2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating

readernick

Medalist
It's important for Wakaba to jump the 3A as many times as possible, to get used to jump it in a competition. She can even become national champion
Honestly, only if Rika messes up rather badly. Rika doesn't have technical weakness, her step sequences and spins are better. Wakaba has a lip, and some weakness in spins. Rika outscored Wakaba at JapNats last year without lutzes (so they had same number of triples planned in the FS) by 20 points. This year Rika's 4S looks better. Her lutzes are back. She looks poised to win JapNats very very comfortably unless she has a return to her junior inconsistency. However, if Wakaba can land the 3A consistently ( and her other jumps too) she will be Japan #2. Some people were claiming Kaori would win on PCS and GOE, but I think Wakaba's PCS score at this competition shows that isn't true. They were equal to Kaori's. However, this is all dependent on her hitting the jumps.

Last edited:

Joekaz

On the Ice
Honestly, only if Rika messes up rather badly. Rika doesn't have technical weakness, her step sequences and spins are better. Wakaba has a lip, and some weakness in spins. Rika outscored Wakaba at JapNats last year without lutzes (so they had same number of triples planned in the FS) by 20 points. This year Rika's 4S looks better. Her lutzes are back. She looks poised to win JapNats very very comfortably unless she has a return to her junior inconsistency. However, if Wakaba can land the 3A consistently ( and her other jumps too) she will be Japan #2. Some people were claiming Kaori would win on PCS and GOE, but I think Wakaba's PCS scores at this competition shows that isn't true. They were equal to Kaori's. However, this is all dependent on her hitting the jumps.
If Wakaba can regain her consistency, Rika's advantage in spins and Flip edge could be offset by Higuchi's superior speed, power and performing ability. That would leave the quad as Rika's decisive element. Wakaba, if clean next season would at least put her under pressure, which could have a big effect on such a technically challenging program as Rika has.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
If Wakaba can regain her consistency, Rika's advantage in spins and Flip edge could be offset by Higuchi's superior speed, power and performing ability. That would leave the quad as Rika's decisive element. Wakaba, if clean next season would at least put her under pressure, which could have a big effect on such a technically challenging program as Rika has.
You’re either overestimating Higuchi here or underestimating Kihira. Or perhaps both. Either way, I’m not seeing any Japanese lady challenging Kihira, this season or next. Barring injury, Kihira’s going to be the top Japanese lady for awhile. She’s simply too far ahead of everyone technically and her consistency cannot be ignored.

And yes, she’s consistent. Kihira has the most consistent 3A of the 12 (or is it 13 now?) women that has landed the jump. She has difficult layouts and usually nails her other elements. In two seasons, I believe she’s fallen only three times on a non-3A and she’s yet to pop a jump other than a 3A. The only skater with a 3A I’ve seen this from is Kostornaia.

I’m having a hard time seeing this sort of consistency from Higuchi by next season. And that’s exactly the sort of consistency she’ll need to seriously challenge the lady who rarely falls on 3s and already has a consistent 3A, 3A combo, and a 4S that looks to be ready for competition. Not to mention her other elements - her musicality and step sequences especially - are fantastic, too.

Last edited:

ali0125

On the Ice
Country
Australia
It's important for Wakaba to jump the 3A as many times as possible, to get used to jump it in a competition. She can even become national champion
IMO she should try more 3A in competitions (her practice 3As look stable and she can do a 3A+3T too) - I feel it's more of a mental struggle. Once she can land a clean one in competition, I'm sure she can do many more.

Rika needs to stabilise at least one quad to make herself undefeated in nationals - like a provision for popping her 3A :ROFLMAO:

Joekaz

On the Ice
You’re either overestimating Higuchi here or underestimating Kihira. Or perhaps both. Either way, I’m not seeing any Japanese lady challenging Kihira, this season or next. Barring injury, Kihira’s going to be the top Japanese lady for awhile. She’s simply too far ahead of everyone technically and her consistency cannot be ignored.

And yes, she’s consistent. Kihira has the most consistent 3A of the 12 (or is it 13 now?) women that has landed the jump. She has difficult layouts and usually nails her other elements. In two seasons, I believe she’s fallen only three times on a non-3A and she’s yet to pop a jump other than a 3A. The only skater with a 3A I’ve seen this from is Kostornaia.

I’m having a hard time seeing this sort of consistency from Higuchi by next season. And that’s exactly the sort of consistency she’ll need to seriously challenge the lady who rarely falls on 3s and already has a consistent 3A, 3A combo, and a 4S that looks to be ready for competition. Not to mention her other elements - her musicality and step sequences especially - are fantastic, too.
I am not predicting Higuchi to pass Kihira this season or next. I am simply saying thay IF Higuchi regains the consistency she had before the last couple of injury plagued years and fully implements 3 3As in her programs that she has the ability to put pressure on Kihira to hit her quad and not make more than one major error. Granted, the Japanese judges will give her extra leeway compared to Wakaba, but Higuchi is superior to Kihira in speed, the power of her jumps(including the 3A) and emotion of her performances. Those strengths can't overcome a fairly clean Kihira with a quad for sure, but the ice becomes more slippery if someone is right behind you. I dont think anything I said was outrageous. Im simply saying that if things go right for Higuchi, she has the talent to at least challenge Rika next year. Things can change quickly in skating.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Has anyone got access to paid content on Asahi.com? There's an interview article on Marin Honda today, but I can't access the full article.

Gabby30

On the Ice
Where does this believe comes from that Kihira is so much better than others? You casually talk about her jumping quads, as if it would be a normal thing for her, yet she didn't even land any quads in a competition so far, and she also doesn't always land the 3A. She was being beaten by Sakamoto and Wakaba is a World silver medalist, while Kihira doesn't have any world medals :shrug:

FayD

spring will come 🌸
On the Ice
Where does this believe comes from that Kihira is so much better than others? You casually talk about her jumping quads, as if it would be a normal thing for her, yet she didn't even land any quads in a competition so far, and she also doesn't always land the 3A. She was being beaten by Sakamoto and Wakaba is a World silver medalist, while Kihira doesn't have any world medals :shrug:
I probably shouldn't respond to this but:
- She has the highest technical content amongst the Japanese ladies and the highest scoring potential
- Her consistency with the 3A has improved tremendously last season
- She had the 4th highest SB last season and was the only one besides the Russians to break 230 - this despite taking out the lutz due to injury
- No, she hasn't landed a quad yet but seems to be making nice progress on it
- She is a very well-rounded skater with good technique and good basics
Is that enough?

kirauza343

On the Ice
I probably shouldn't respond to this but:
- She has the highest technical content amongst the Japanese ladies and the highest scoring potential
- Her consistency with the 3A has improved tremendously last season
- She had the 4th highest SB last season and was the only one besides the Russians to break 230 - this despite taking out the lutz due to injury
- No, she hasn't landed a quad yet but seems to be making nice progress on it
- She is a very well-rounded skater with good technique and good basics
Is that enough?
- Not to mention her seasons best was significantly higher than any other Japanese lady’s (20 points higher than Satoko’s, 25 points higher than Wakaba’s, and 30 points higher than Kaori’s
- Her lowest score last season was still higher than any other Japanese Lady’s seasons best
- She’s been incredibly consistent in her non-triple axel jumps during a time when Kaori, Wakaba, and Satoko have struggled with consistency
- “Doesn’t always land her triple axels” is ridiculous considering she landed AT LEAST 2/3 triple axels (fully rotated with positive GOE) at all but one competition while not a single senior Japanese lady besides her landed a triple axel or quad at any competition
- she should’ve had a medal at her first senior worlds and it’s ridiculous to hold it against her that last season’s worlds was cancelled when she had a pretty good shot at the podium
- she still has some titles to her name that neither Wakaba nor Kaori have: two golds on the Grand Prix circuit, a gold at the Grand Prix Final, and she’s the first singles skater (male or female) to successfully defend a Four Continents title

She’s the clear Japanese number 1 lady for a reason

Last edited:

Joekaz

On the Ice
Because she consistently lands the 3A now and is probably the soundest technically of the top 4 Japanese ladies. Plus she has built a resume of victories that gives her insurance from the judges in case of an off performance. But she is not unbeatable by any means. She is probably the weakest of the 4 artistically and as Kaori showed 2 years ago, if the other girls are on and Rika botches the 3A she can lose. Especially with Wakaba getting better with the 3A now. But Rika is clearly #1 if they all skate their best with current content.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Because she consistently lands the 3A now and is probably the soundest technically of the top 4 Japanese ladies. Plus she has built a resume of victories that gives her insurance from the judges in case of an off performance. But she is not unbeatable by any means. She is probably the weakest of the 4 artistically and as Kaori showed 2 years ago, if the other girls are on and Rika botches the 3A she can lose. Especially with Wakaba getting better with the 3A now. But Rika is clearly #1 if they all skate their best with current content.
Imo Rika should have won that competition, the only reason why Kaori won was because of a not called obvious flutz, plus Rika had a that time problems with her boots that is not longer a problem for her it seems

Joekaz

On the Ice
Imo Rika should have won that competition, the only reason why Kaori won was because of a not called obvious flutz, plus Rika had a that time problems with her boots that is not longer a problem for her it seems
Really? So what was her excuse at Worlds that year then?

kirauza343

On the Ice
Really? So what was her excuse at Worlds that year then?
Rika was still having boot issues (there’s a reason her boots are visibly taped at WTT) but she still beat Kaori at Worlds even with that and her triple axel struggles so.....

And she should’ve had the bronze medal had the tech panel actually called edges

Joekaz

On the Ice
Rika was still having boot issues (there’s a reason her boots are visibly taped at WTT) but she still beat Kaori at Worlds even with that and her triple axel struggles so.....

And she should’ve had the bronze medal had the tech panel actually called edges
So has Rika ever lost because someone else skated better, or is there always some excuse for her? She sure seems to win alot though. Maybe its just that she isnt perfect and there are other very good skaters out there too?