2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating

kirauza343

On the Ice
So has Rika ever lost because someone else skated better, or is there always some excuse for her? She sure seems to win alot though. Maybe its just that she isnt perfect and there are other very good skaters out there too?
I argue that she should’ve had bronze at worlds, not gold. Alina won that fair and square. Her losses this past season were correct as well. The fact is 2019 Worlds had an absurdly lenient technical panel and those missed calls changed the podium. Figure skating judging is notoriously political and it’s normal to talk about how it benefits some skaters and not others. Tech panels that overlook obvious wrong edges or ignore underrotations exist (and Saitama’s was clearly one of those) as do extra points at nationals for federation favorites.

Commenting on her boot problems isn’t excusing her performance at Worlds; it’s explaining one of the factors that contributed to her struggle. She still put out what she put out and lost the gold fair and sqare. It’s like with Alina’s struggle at Euros: there’s things that contributed to her poor performance but it doesn’t change how she did and that Sofia earned that title.

No one’s claiming Rika is perfect but questioning her Worlds and 2018 Nationals placement is fair game and isn’t meant as a sleight against other skaters.

Joekaz

On the Ice
I argue that she should’ve had bronze at worlds, not gold. Alina won that fair and square. Her losses this past season were correct as well. The fact is 2019 Worlds had an absurdly lenient technical panel and those missed calls changed the podium. Figure skating judging is notoriously political and it’s normal to talk about how it benefits some skaters and not others. Tech panels that overlook obvious wrong edges or ignore underrotations exist (and Saitama’s was clearly one of those) as do extra points at nationals for federation favorites.

Commenting on her boot problems isn’t excusing her performance at Worlds; it’s explaining one of the factors that contributed to her struggle. She still put out what she put out and lost the gold fair and sqare. It’s like with Alina’s struggle at Euros: there’s things that contributed to her poor performance but it doesn’t change how she did and that Sofia earned that title.

No one’s claiming Rika is perfect but questioning her Worlds and 2018 Nationals placement is fair game and isn’t meant as a sleight against other skaters.
Fair enough. We generally agree then. Rika is clear #1 in Japan and legitimate contender for World #1. However she has to be at her best at Worlds and good at Nationals to win if the other girls bring their "A" game. Of course the ice gets more slippery at those events so nothing is certain, especially this year.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Rino Matsuike is first in the SP at junior nats with 69 points. That's a big score given that it's a junior comp and there is the usual stingy Japanese scoring.
The girl is consistent and will compete at NHK. It will be interesting to see how she will do.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes! Is Yoshida second? Rino scored the highest in Regionals and Sectionals. It is nice when the favourites skate to their full potential. I can’t wait for NHK.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Yes! Is Yoshida second? Rino scored the highest in Regionals and Sectionals. It is nice when the favourites skate to their full potential. I can’t wait for NHK.
Yes. Yoshida is 2nd with 62 points.
Two promising novices are in top 6 (gold and silver at nats). Too bad novices can't skate at senior nats anymore.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Interesting. Thanks for the update. Yoshida had the second best score in sectionals. Glad she is in second. Also, nice to hear there are some promising novices coming up the ranks. I like the format the Japanese use where Juniors come prior to seniors and allow the top 6 Juniors (minus Novice) to compete against the Seniors. I’m hoping Rino can win the Junior title as I would love for her to be the one sent to Worlds.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Junior nats results:
1. Rino Matsuike
2. Hana Yoshida
3. Mao Shimada
4. Ayumi Shibayama
5. Rion Sumiyoshi

Very strong free skates from top 4. The next wave of junior is promising as the 3rd and 4th are novices.

Yoshida landed 3A. I think she will be senior eligible next season. She didn't compete at any JGP and JWC so far (only some B competitions) IIRC, despite being bronze medalist at junior nats last season.

If there isn't JWC this season i wonder if JSF will let her compete in seniors next season though she doesn't have a junior international career.

Mao who is also the novice nats champion, won't even be junior eligible next season. The girl is training 3A (and attempted it at regionals or sectionals iirc).
https://youtu.be/wxl-AYACGOg Rino
https://youtu.be/wGsjEWfsYUA Hana
https://youtu.be/7-Y_BJNoMDE Rion
https://youtu.be/-vyCoSUmN_o Ayumi
https://youtu.be/gY3cbpNJFoA Mao

Last edited:

ali0125

On the Ice
Country
Australia
I was impressed by Mao Shimada - she clearly shows a very strong core. Besides 3A, she is training quad too. Will be really interesting to see what the future holds :love2:

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Junior nats results:
1. Rino Matsuike
2. Hana Yoshida
3. Mao Shimada
4. Ayumi Shibayama
5. Rion Sumiyoshi

Very strong free skates from top 4. The next wave of junior is promising as the 3rd and 4th are novices.

Yoshida landed 3A. I think she will be senior eligible next season. She didn't compete at any JGP and JWC so far (only some B competitions) IIRC, despite being bronze medalist at junior nats last season.

If there isn't JWC this season i wonder if JSF will let her compete in seniors next season though she doesn't have a junior international career.

Mao who is also the novice nats champion, won't even be junior eligible next season. The girl is training 3A (and attempted it at regionals or sectionals iirc).
https://youtu.be/wxl-AYACGOg Rino
https://youtu.be/wGsjEWfsYUA Hana
https://youtu.be/7-Y_BJNoMDE Rion
https://youtu.be/-vyCoSUmN_o Ayumi
https://youtu.be/gY3cbpNJFoA Mao
Hana missed a lot of competitions the past few seasons due to an injury. I think she broke her leg for a while

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thanks Yume for the updates! I woke up early to see if there were any results. I enjoyed watching the free programs. Mao and Ayumi are huge future prospects from Japan. They are so little and tiny right now. But, so consistent with their triples. Since they both train together in the Hamada camp, they will both push each other to get better in the years to come.

Hana’s triple axel was amazing! Hamada seems to be really good at developing triple axels from her camp. I hope she gets chosen for the world junior team.

Rino though was overall the best Junior out there. Despite no triple axel, her flow and skating skills were the best amongst the rest of the competition. She was so close to the 200 mark. Does this mean she has qualified to the Junior Worlds? I hope so. She deserves it.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Does this mean she has qualified to the Junior Worlds? I hope so. She deserves it.

Yes, by default the winner of Jr. national will get a spot on Jr. World team. But the formal announcement will be made after Nationals (and also assuming Jr. Worlds will be held next year).

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thanks for letting me know! This makes me happy! Go Rino go! I was mad when she wasn’t even on the Japanese B team after scoring the best score in Juniors. I think she has secured a spot in the A team at least. Now that she nabbed that spot, if she places well at NHK and Japanese Nationals (top 3), she could be a dark horse for a spot on the Senior Team, as well.

I’m so excited for NHK. But, there are too many competitors skating there to root for.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Thoughts after watching the videos-
Mao (Shimada) didn't attempt 3A in Junior National (she attempted 3A at Novice National and got 3A<<). My impression with her jumps at Junior World (sorry! I mean Nationals) was that she could rotate fast, but in general the jumps were not of much height. Somehow her jumps reminds me of Satoko's (either typical of Hamada's students, or perhaps she's still quite petite in terms of physical frame.) BTW, before Mao trains with Hamada, I think she was from Tokyo and trained with Wakaba's coach?

On the other hand, it looks like Hana has grown a lot. But since she still keeps that 3A from before her injury, it looks like she won't have much problem (hopefully) in the future with the jump. And it's good for her to move to Hamada, which may help with other aspects for the skating.

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
Thoughts after watching the videos-
Mao (Shimada) didn't attempt 3A in Junior National (she attempted 3A at Novice National and got 3A<<). My impression with her jumps at Junior World was that she could rotate fast, but in general the jumps were not of much height. Somehow her jumps reminds me of Satoko's (either typical of Hamada's students, or perhaps she's still quite petite in terms of physical frame.) BTW, before Mao trains with Hamada, I think she was from Tokyo and trained with Wakaba's coach?

On the other hand, it looks like Hana has grown a lot. But since she still keeps that 3A from before her injury, it looks like she won't have much problem (hopefully) in the future with the jump. And it's good for her to move to Hamada, which may help with other aspects for the skating.
Yes, I got this impression as well. I am definitely no fan of Hamada, but Hana ( a natural jumper) will undoubtedly benefit from more emphasis on her PCS and , especially , her spins.

The novice girls are definitely talented but I have doubts about their longevity. Sometimes, skaters are able to increase jump height as they age (Rika has done this) if their foundation is strong but other skaters aren’t able to compensate for growth. I guess we will see. The top three novice girls are all charming performers.

Rino is a great all around skater. Everything looks secure and she floats. I believe she will be top 5 at NHK.

Joekaz

On the Ice
With Yoshida looking good with that 3A, there is a chance all three girls on the Japanese Olympic team could have 3As.