2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating

Skatefan15

On the Ice
Kaori reminds me of Osmond, on the verge of being out of control(like last season), but impressive when she is on. Wakaba is more controlled and varied in her movement.
Yeah, I agree. Kaori’s jumps are exactly like Kaetlyn’s (more far than high but still good height). Wakaba’s aren’t as explosive in terms of when once you’re up in the air you’re like ok this is a little wild, how do I get down? I think Wakaba’s largest problem in terms of jumping is just popping (that stupid salchow). I love both of their techniques though.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
On the average GOE of 3.7 vs 2.5, one difference could be how Kaori times her 3F-3T? It felt really impressive in the moment. On the other aspects I really can't tell myself, but I felt like Kaori had better flow through her combination. But I am a very very biased fan here - as a disclaimer.
Well, can this be FS without a little bias?

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
My only problem with Kaori at nhk was that her two flutzes weren't called,so her final score should have been lower, my problem with this competition in general was that every lady was underscored in pcs and the level of step sequences, especially Wakaba and Mai, Kaori was the only one who was scored gently, I'm ok with her components scores and jump GOE but not her flutz that should have been called with negative GOE, I'm not ok with Wakaba getting just 31 of components when her short program was the best one in terms of presentation even with the fall, the choreography is just perfect as well as her interpretation, for me is pretty obvious Japan federation gives more love for Kaori than Wakaba, I wouldn't say they hate Wakaba but they really love Kaori and her flutz not being called while they called wrong edges or unclear edges for other skaters its a proof and that's just not ok

Skatefan15

On the Ice
the level of step sequences, especially Wakaba and Mai, Kaori was the only one who was scored gently
For step sequences, Wakaba (deservedly) got both of them level 4. Kaori got a 3 in the short and a 4 in the long. And Mai got a 2 in both (which is really just huh?). Also I completely agree that they should’ve called Kaori’s lutz edge, especially since she changed from 3Lo to it in the short (I wish the judges had called it out to send a message to her and her team of like hey let’s not do a 3Lze in the short—especially since her loop is so good).

Joekaz

On the Ice
For step sequences, Wakaba (deservedly) got both of them level 4. Kaori got a 3 in the short and a 4 in the long. And Mai got a 2 in both (which is really just huh?). Also I completely agree that they should’ve called Kaori’s lutz edge, especially since she changed from 3Lo to it in the short (I wish the judges had called it out to send a message to her and her team of like hey let’s not do a 3Lze in the short—especially since her loop is so good).
I think there is a good chance the lutz substitution is just for domestic competition. Kaori has a smart team and knows she is more likely to get away with it in Japan, so why not get the extra pts?

kirauza343

On the Ice
I think there is a good chance the lutz substitution is just for domestic competition. Kaori has a smart team and knows she is more likely to get away with it in Japan, so why not get the extra pts?
I don’t know, they’ve been pretty lax with Lutz edge calls internationally lately. Not every competition has but enough that they’d be willing to risk it.

Joekaz

On the Ice
I don’t know, they’ve been pretty lax with Lutz edge calls internationally lately. Not every competition has but enough that they’d be willing to risk it.
You might be right. I didn't mean to make it sound like international judges were paragons of virtue either. Lol

Skatefan15

On the Ice
I mean domestically (everywhere) a lot of skaters are getting away with lutz/flip edges so I get it, I guess. But it’s still gonna bother me if she sticks to doing lutz in the short :ROFLMAO:

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Finally saw Mao Shimada's Junior Nationals performance, and all I can say is: Wow! (Mow?) So much potential in that girl. Also apparently working on a triple axel...given her name, I guess she's kind of obligated to do so.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

She absolutely needs to have it internationally, at least in the LP. Too many women do 3As and quads now for her to be competitive with a 6 triple LP.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yeah, I agree. Kaori’s jumps are exactly like Kaetlyn’s (more far than high but still good height). Wakaba’s aren’t as explosive in terms of when once you’re up in the air you’re like ok this is a little wild, how do I get down? I think Wakaba’s largest problem in terms of jumping is just popping (that stupid salchow). I love both of their techniques though.

I definitely got an Osmond vibe from her as well. Like her priority is to make her jumps as huge as possible. Smart of her - if she can’t get a 3A or quad then increasing GOE is the next best thing.

Joekaz

On the Ice
I definitely got an Osmond vibe from her as well. Like her priority is to make her jumps as huge as possible. Smart of her - if she can’t get a 3A or quad then increasing GOE is the next best thing.
I agree. It seemed like several of the Japanese girls performance suffered last season from spending too much time on futile attempts at 3As and quads, while the Americans, for instance, had a pretty good season from just concentrating on what they could already do.

lzxnl

Final Flight
It's just struck me that there's only a little more than 14 days until Nationals, so I would expect Satoko and Rika to be flying into Japan any time soon because quarantine, if they're going to participate at all. Any news?

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
It's just struck me that there's only a little more than 14 days until Nationals, so I would expect Satoko and Rika to be flying into Japan any time soon because quarantine, if they're going to participate at all. Any news?
They don't have to quarantine, provided they test negative when entering the country.

"people who test negative on their PCR test will not need to self-quarantine on the condition that they will submit documentation of their planned activities and do not use public transportation for two weeks."

lzxnl

Final Flight
They don't have to quarantine, provided they test negative when entering the country.

"people who test negative on their PCR test will not need to self-quarantine on the condition that they will submit documentation of their planned activities and do not use public transportation for two weeks."
How exactly would that work? It looks like their mobility will still be restricted initially, so I would imagine they should still go back to Japan earlier to resume training quicker.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Rika trains at the same location as Shoma, right? Shoma is already back home, for a week now (I think?), but I don't know whether he has resumed on-ice training in Japan yet.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Something I wondered after watching Mao Shimada's Novice Kinki Block performance (after watching her performances in the Junior Nationals): how does a Novice prepare to do two programs so quickly? Are the better skaters always working on two programs just in case they qualify for Junior Nationals, or do they just hastily adapt some other program they've done in the past to be their short or free program?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Something I wondered after watching Mao Shimada's Novice Kinki Block performance (after watching her performances in the Junior Nationals): how does a Novice prepare to do two programs so quickly? Are the better skaters always working on two programs just in case they qualify for Junior Nationals, or do they just hastily adapt some other program they've done in the past to be their short or free program?
Do novice not do a SP and FS in Japan? In Canada they do, just with slightly different requirements, like one fewer spin in the SP. I believe it's similar for ISU advanced novice IIRC. In dance, they do two patterns and a FD, but for singles you could adapt it fairly easily I'd think (like switching between Jr and Sr). But I don't know the Japanese system.