2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Kaori was her usual comic self, giggling at her own facial expressions and the announcer's flattering remarks. Apparently she improved her fitness for the gruelling free skate by running 9km a day. And Satoko was also her typical modest self by saying "all my jumps were pretty bad, I have so much to work on." Bless...

lzxnl

Final Flight
I don't know whether any of you understand Japanese, but apparently she ended up going in the wrong direction after exiting a spin and it took a minute of so of hard thinking before she got back on track. The whole time she was desperately thinking "how on earth can I get back on track?" and as soon as she did, she had to jump. Her mind is very nimble and she's able to multitask. Amazing. I'm sure this programme can only get better.
AND she had a slight foot injury as well. The number of things that she can deal with at once is pretty impressive. Cut her a little bit of slack for this being her first performance in almost a year, the last being Challenge Cup last year (!!).

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Japan Inter-High Figure Skating Championships (high school competition): Jan 21-24.

The preliminary competition for ladies' (SP) will start in about 2.5 hrs. (The preliminary round for ladies' will be divided into 3 groups, as there are over 100 skaters for the ladies)

The Group A to start today will include: 2. Rion Sumiyoshi, 13. Rino Matsuike, and 11. Saki Miyake.
The result page: https://www.jsfresults.com/non_responsive_toppage.htm?figure_top.htm,National/2020-2021/fs_j/highschool/index.htm

And...the good news is that, this competition does have an online site for LIVE coverage (which is NOT blocked OVERSEA!!!):

Could someone post the top finishers in the ladies short? I can't get the translator to work. Thank you!

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Could someone post the top finishers in the ladies short? I can't get the translator to work. Thank you!
1. 61.77 Kinayu Yokoi (Yuhana's younger sister)
2. 61.03 Rino Matsuike
3. 59.81 Aiko Motoe
4. 58.99 Momoka Maeno
5. 56.30 Chisato Uramatsu

Miyu Honda competed, but her 42.67 was not enough to advance to the free.

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
AND she had a slight foot injury as well. The number of things that she can deal with at once is pretty impressive. Cut her a little bit of slack for this being her first performance in almost a year, the last being Challenge Cup last year (!!).
I think given the circumstances Rika did a tremendous job. My issue is just with the LP itself. It is charming and feminine, but nothing special. I preferred Rika's LP last year and her Beautiful Storm is still my favorite LP of the quad in ladies skating. She plans on keeping these programs next year, but I hope that she will instead go back to her 2018-2019 free. That program is just a lot more memorable.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I think given the circumstances Rika did a tremendous job. My issue is just with the LP itself. It is charming and feminine, but nothing special. I preferred Rika's LP last year and her Beautiful Storm is still my favorite LP of the quad in ladies skating. She plans on keeping these programs next year, but I hope that she will instead go back to her 2018-2019 free. That program is just a lot more memorable.
I also think the LP is too soft. An Olympic program usually should have some build up to get the crowd a little wild. The LP music sounds very monotone.

lzxnl

Final Flight
1. 61.77 Kinuya Yokoi (Yuhana's younger sister)
2. 61.03 Rino Matsuike
3. 59.81 Aiko Motoe
4. 58.99 Momoka Maeno

So Rino didn't even lead in a high school competition? Interesting. I've never heard of Kinuya.
I think a BS free and TFW short would be too much of the same artist in one competition. A TFW short and a IAoP free would be the best mix for me, personally.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
We have seen Kinayu Yokoi a few times now.
If I recall correctly she competed at junior nationals with the neck brace on. I think I've also heard rumours about training 3A although I haven't seen it yet.

denise3lz

On the Ice
Country
Japan
So Rino didn't even lead in a high school competition? Interesting. I've never heard of Kinuya.
Rino Matsuike missed her combo jump.

Kinayu Yokoi landed 3A in domestic competition

Chubu regional in October 2019
(I know this video is geo-blocked, so watch if you can)
protocol

Last edited:

Dawn825

Medalist
I also think the LP is too soft. An Olympic program usually should have some build up to get the crowd a little wild. The LP music sounds very monotone.
Exactly what I was thinking. I hope her decision isn't final. She needs much more dramatic or iconic music to fight for an Olympic podium spot.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
1. 61.77 Kinayu Yokoi (Yuhana's younger sister)
2. 61.03 Rino Matsuike
3. 59.81 Aiko Motoe
4. 58.99 Momoka Maeno

1. 181.33 Rino Matsuike
2. 157.50 Maria Egawa (6th in the short)
3. 156.97 Kinayu Yokoi
4. 154.41 Aiko Motoe
5, 153.15 Rinka Watanabe (8th in the short)

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Hi everyone I have a huge favor to ask. I'm looking forward to the National Winter Sports Festival that will take place this week. Would anyone be willing to translate the full entry list for both the Junior and Senior ladies categories at this event? The translators just do not work with Japanese names and I would really like to know the names of all the competitors. I really appreciate this, thank you!

The entries can be found here

Reactions: Giu

rabidline

Final Flight
Hi everyone I have a huge favor to ask. I'm looking forward to the National Winter Sports Festival that will take place this week. Would anyone be willing to translate the full entry list for both the Junior and Senior ladies categories at this event? The translators just do not work with Japanese names and I would really like to know the names of all the competitors. I really appreciate this, thank you!

The entries can be found here

I got this by crosschecking with Fuji TV database, the one in Italics is the one I'm not sure about:

Senior Ladies:
1. Karen Kato (Hokkaido)
2. Asuka Kaizu (Hokkaido)
3. Honoka Hirotani (Iwate)
4. Tsuboi Reimi (Iwate)
5. Sachi Matsushita (Ibaraki)
6. Kie Okabe (Ibaraki)
7. Emiri Komuro (Tochigi)
8. Kyoka Asanuma (Tochigi)
9. Akane Matsubara (Saitama)
10. Kanon Ayabe (Saitama)
11. Reia Funasako (Chiba)
12. Eimi Kobori (Chiba)
13. Wakaba Higuchi (Tokyo)
14. Tomoe Kawabata (Tokyo)
15. Miku Mochizuki (Kanagawa)
16. Yuna Aoki (Kanagawa)
17. Mone Kawanishi (Yamanashi)
18. Rino Fujimoto (Yamanashi)
19. Rin Nitaya (Aichi)
20. Yuhana Yokoi (Aichi)
21. Nonoka Noguchi (Shiga)
22. Harue Inoue (Shiga)
23. Yuna Shiraiwa (Kyoto)
24. Hiyori Tokura (Kyoto)
25. Riko Takino (Osaka)
26. Saki Takamura (Osaka)
27. Kaori Sakamoto (Kobe)
28. Mai Mihara (Kobe)
29. Reina Shiraga (Okayama)
30. Runa Shiraga (Okayama)
31. Hina Takeno (Fukuoka)
32. Nina Takeno (Fukuoka)

denise3lz

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Junior Ladies
1.Yuna Nagaoka (Hokkaido)
2.Rinka Oseki (Hokkaido)
3.Rinka Watanabe (Aomori)
4.Nonoka Shozen (Aomori)
5.Himari Miura (Miyagi)
6.Mone Chiba (Miyagi)
7.Maaya Ishida (Saitama)
8.Karen Ayabe (Saitama)
9.Shiika Yoshioka (Chiba)
10.Chikako Saigusa (Chiba)
11.Rion Sumiyoshi (Tokyo)
12.Aiko Motoe (Tokyo)
13.Mai Takahashi (Kanagawa)
14.Miyu Masuda (Kanagawa)
15.Chisato Uramatsu (Aichi)
16.Rino Matsuike (Aichi)
17.Mai Uratomi (Gifu)
18.Mai Kubota (Gifu)
19.Mana Kawabe (Kyoto)
20.Hana Yoshida (Kyoto)
21.Moa Iwano (Osaka)
22.Sae Shimizu (Osaka)
23.Rei Yoshimoto (Hyogo)
24.Rie Inanaga (Hyogo)
25.Chiyono Nagami (Tottori)
26.Sakura Hirotomi (Tottori)
27.Saki Miyake (Okayama)
28.Marin Okamoto (Okayama)
29.Momona Ise (Hiroshima)
30.Nonoka Ise (Hiroshima)
31.Maria Egawa (Fukuoka)
32.Arisa Kamoi (Fukuoka)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

I think the problem is not just the music being soft, but the entire choreography, and specifics of the music that may be too difficult for a current competitive skating program to interpret. Despite being soft music, there are many fast piano notes, and Rika isn't moving to them quick enough. It's a mismatch both ways, of not being able to show enough delicacy, and also not hitting those runs.

Things that can help: moving the level footwork sequence to after the 3Loop, where the music is mostly faster, and then put the spin + choreo sequence after the next jump element instead (and a much better choreo sequence, not a clunky rocker turn into an ina bauer without any stretch or duration, and a wonky change edge spiral). She needs to finish the last two jumps earlier in the program than she currently does too, because the program has no room to breathe at the end, it's just a couple of spins thrown together and no time to properly decompress and flow out with that very soft ending. The spins are also all wrong right now, they are doing hardly anything with the music. Moving the placement of the flying camel will help (ideally she also wouldn't do the shallow change edge upside down position), but the layback also needs to be the final spin and with a real layback for 8 positions as a feature, and the combo spin needs to get rid of that ugly back sit position (an intermediate position with twisted or pancake variation would be better).

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
The National Winter Sports Festival has an official channel for LIVE broadcasting of the competitions (the following is for figure skating):
It's not for certain right now if the LIVE streaming will be blocked outside Japan (hopefully it will be like the Inter HS competition broadcasting last week so it's not blocked...)