2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Wakaba skated better! I don't accept the overscoring Osmond received and her cheated 3Toe that wasn't called.
Just because you think something should have happened BoP, doesn't make it so. In my mind, Kaetlyn was never rewarded enough versus others for her tremendous Piaf SP, but I cannot change the results nor can you.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Hold your breath and count to ten
Feel the Earth move and then
Hear my heart burst again
For this is the end
I've drowned and dreamt this moment
So overdue, I owe them
Swept away, I'm stolen

Let the sky fall
When it crumbles
We will stand tall

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Saying that someone deserved to win a competition that they did not is fine.

Saying that someone did win a competition that they did not is not. That puts you in company with...I probably can't mention him here.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Saying that someone deserved to win a competition that they did not is fine.

Saying that someone did win a competition that they did not is not. That puts you in company with...I probably can't mention him here.
The point here I think, is whether figure skating is a legitimate competition or not. This year for instance, for the most part, I would say the podium orders would say it is. However the scoring and some of the other placements say it certainly isn't. Of course, factually you are correct. But a beauty contest winner isnt the prettiest girl to everyone. The same can be said in many sports, every close game or contest can be determined by judges or referees opinions. Figure skating, is certainly on the extreme edge in that regard, however.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The winner of a competition, when not determined by 100% factual measurement (a race, long jump, chess match, etc), is in the eye of the beholder. Skating competitions are "officially" scored by a few very corruptible and/or less-than-ideally-educated people. If you happen to think that's what matters most in life, then yikes. I'd hope people would learn by now how much value and trust should be placed on such "official" things.

It's also funny that people think it was meant to be taken literally. Anyone can look up for themselves what the result was. What's important is the view of history. People constantly fighting to have their viewpoint of history be known and seen as more accurate. Titles are only worth what people want them to be worth.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
What's important is the view of history. People constantly fighting to have their viewpoint of history be known and seen as more accurate.
That may be so. But you cannot fault skating fans for not being educated in skating-related things, and therefore for believing in authority figures, and taking their view as accurate.

Titles are only worth what people want them to be worth.
Absolutely. And so sinks figure skating's market price...

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
The winner of a competition, when not determined by 100% factual measurement (a race, long jump, chess match, etc), is in the eye of the beholder.
No. The sponsoring organizations that own the endeavors have the sole right to determine who "wins" their "contests".

Since we've already referenced Harry Potter here, maybe in your own world, Harry and Hermione are better suited for each other and thus get married and have kids. But no matter how much you may wish it to actually be so, Harry/Ginny is the only canon from the official JK Rowling novel. Because the people that own the rights to it say so.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
JKR = ISU?

*Spins wheel* Wakaba Higuchi *throws dart* will win *draws card* the Olympics... OMG!

Last edited:
Reactions: Giu

lzxnl

Final Flight
Rika is in Colorado according to the rink's social media. For a camp?
Hmm, in these times I would have been wary of going to America. I've put off returning to the US for my own PhD because of the pandemic. I just hope she stays safe there. Normally it wouldn't be surprising to hear of such news as she needs to work on those quads. Multiple. She needs the quad toe for the Olympics.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Why? She's young and healthy. She will be fine.
That's not really a guarantee of anything. Marco Rossi, a 19 yo. top NHL prospect (known for his incredible fitness) is out for the season with with long-term effects after getting it in November, for example. Or look at Anastasia Shpilevaya - she's 21 and just recently announced her retirement due to complications after getting it in the summer. Less seriously, Alena Kostornaya WD from an event with a + test in early December, and though she's training, she's not ready to compete yet two months later. Even if it's nothing permanent, needing months to fully recover is definitely problematic for a young athlete - Rossi isn't allowed to workout at all for at least 6 weeks.

Young, healthy people with no pre-existing conditions can absolutely get it badly and have lingering issues. It's just less common than in older people. But to act as though someone will automatically be fine just because they're young and healthy is irresponsible.

Joekaz

On the Ice
That's not really a guarantee of anything. Marco Rossi, a 19 yo. top NHL prospect (known for his incredible fitness) is out for the season with with long-term effects after getting it in November, for example. Or look at Anastasia Shpilevaya - she's 21 and just recently announced her retirement due to complications after getting it in the summer. Less seriously, Alena Kostornaya WD from an event with a + test in early December, and though she's training, she's not ready to compete yet two months later. Even if it's nothing permanent, needing months to fully recover is definitely problematic for a young athlete - Rossi isn't allowed to workout at all for at least 6 weeks.

Young, healthy people with no pre-existing conditions can absolutely get it badly and have lingering issues. It's just less common than in older people. But to act as though someone will automatically be fine just because they're young and healthy is irresponsible.
Saying it is just less common in young healthy people is disingenuous at best. Cherry picking anecdotal cases is useless compared to the statistics which say its very rare. Young people die every year from heart attacks playing sports or from the flu, but it is very uncommon. Having people make major sacrifices in their lives due to irrational fear is what is irresponsible. Im sure Rika is smarter that many of these people trying to tell her how to live.

Dawn825

Medalist
Lol why are you sure about how smart Rika is or isn't? Do you know her personally?

kirauza343

On the Ice
There’s nothing irrational about it. We’re in the middle of a pandemic of a disease that can have major complications even in young, otherwise healthy athletes. The US has done a pretty terrible job handling the pandemic so of course people are going to be concerned about Rika traveling there.

readernick

Medalist
There’s nothing irrational about it. We’re in the middle of a pandemic of a disease that can have major complications even in young, otherwise healthy athletes. The US has done a pretty terrible job handling the pandemic so of course people are going to be concerned about Rika traveling there.
Fair, but Switzerland is hardly a beacon of light in this regard either. Considering its low population, its infection rate is very high. So, she hasn't really been safe from COVID for a long time. That being said, she is a very smart and careful girl. I am sure she has been and will be taking a lot of precautions.

I do agree that people shouldn't minimize the risk that COVID poses for athletes. How many skaters have we heard of now with lung or heart damage from COVID-19? A lot of Russian skaters. It ended an ice dancer's career. Also, Daniel Grassl had a heart issue caused by COVID 19.

Last edited: