2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 50 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating

Joekaz

On the Ice
There’s nothing irrational about it. We’re in the middle of a pandemic of a disease that can have major complications even in young, otherwise healthy athletes. The US has done a pretty terrible job handling the pandemic so of course people are going to be concerned about Rika traveling there.
So in the US, how many professional baseball, football or basketball players have died of covid? Oh, thats right, ZERO out of several thousand. And you say it isnt irrational? LOL!

readernick

Medalist
So in the US, how many professional baseball, football or basketball players have died of covid? Oh, thats right, ZERO out of several thousand. And you say it isnt irrational? LOL!
Death is highly unlikely. But, long term lung capacity issues or heart problems are seemingly relatively common even among the young. For a regular person, this is not a major issue. For a figure skater, it might seriously interrupt training and even end careers. But, of course, Rika can make her own decisions. I am sure she is aware of the possible risks and rewards.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
If DEATH of MAJOR PROFESSIONAL SPORTS ATHLETES is your only concern, then currently zero. Jamain Stephens Jr. died, but he was only a college football player, so of no concern to you. Whew!

Buffalo Bills tight end Tommy Sweeney developed myocarditis stemming from his bout with Covid-19 and was out for the rest of the season. Though not life-ending, that's pretty devastating for a professional football player. But he'll be back! Maybe.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Death is highly unlikely. But, long term lung capacity issues or heart problems are seemingly relatively common even among the young. For a regular person, this is not a major issue. For a figure skater, it might seriously interrupt training and even end careers. But, of course, Rika can make her own decisions. I am sure she is aware of the possible risks and rewards.
Exactly. And since actions speak louder than words, she would seem to be more in agreement with me, as regard the risk. Making rational judgments over surrendering to fear is a good, albeit, relatively rare quality in people. Everyone should be able to make their own choices, free of judgement, whether they are brave or cowardly, informed or ignorant, strong or weak.

Joekaz

On the Ice
If DEATH of MAJOR PROFESSIONAL SPORTS ATHLETES is your only concern, then currently zero. Jamain Stephens Jr. died, but he was only a college football player, so of no concern to you. Whew!

Buffalo Bills tight end Tommy Sweeney developed myocarditis stemming from his bout with Covid-19 and was out for the rest of the season. Though not life-ending, that's pretty devastating for a professional football player. But he'll be back! Maybe.
So Zero out of over 3,000 pro athletes. And 1 out of over 15,000 college athletes. So basically 1 out of 20,000? And your scared? Ok, Im not. But you are entitled to your fear just the same.

readernick

Medalist
Exactly. And since actions speak louder than words, she would seem to be more in agreement with me, as regard the risk. Making rational judgments over surrendering to fear is a good, albeit, relatively rare quality in people. Everyone should be able to make their own choices, free of judgement, whether they are brave or cowardly, informed or ignorant, strong or weak.
While I agree that people should be able to exercise free will. I completely disagree with your suggestion that taking precautions and trying to avoid inflection is in some way "weak." Intelligent people generally make an effort to avoid unnecessary risk and in the case of COVID 19 our actions don't just affect us, they also influence those around us. As a relatively young, healthy, normal-weight individual without immune issues, the likelihood that I will have major complications from COVID 19 is low. However, if I am not careful I could easily catch the disease and spread it to someone else whose circumstances are not as favorable as mine. That would not be brave. It would be heartless and , yes, cowardly. However, I have seen the way Rika behaved in Switzerland. She consistently wore her mask. Avoided large crowds and according to her interviews was very careful when she went anywhere other than training. If she takes similar precautions in the USA, she will be doing her best to minimize the risk. That is all any of us can do.

Joekaz

On the Ice
While I agree that people should be able to exercise free will. I completely disagree with your suggestion that taking precautions and trying to avoid inflection is in some way "weak." Intelligent people generally make an effort to avoid unnecessary risk and in the case of COVID 19 our actions don't just affect us, they also influence those around us. As a relatively young, healthy, normal-weight individual without immune issues, the likelihood that I will have major complications from COVID 19 is low. However, if I am not careful I could easily catch the disease and spread it to someone else whose circumstances are not as favorable as mine. That would not be brave. It would be heartless and , yes, cowardly. However, I have seen the way Rika behaved in Switzerland. She consistently wore her mask. Avoided large crowds and according to her interviews was very careful when she went anywhere other than training. If she takes similar precautions in the USA, she will be doing her best to minimize the risk. That is all any of us can do.
I didnt say that taking precautions is weak. Reasonable precaution is prudent. The key here is reasonable. Shutting everything down and hiding is not reasonable, it is cowardly. Avoiding large crowds and wearing a mask next to others is fine if you wish. There is a point however, as with every virus, that you must get on with living. You cannot expect people with strong immune systems to sacrifice their youth to extend the lives of people who have weak immune systems. Quarantine people who are at high risk if you want, but dont steal peoples youth. That is immoral.

readernick

Medalist
I didnt say that taking precautions is weak. Reasonable precaution is prudent. The key here is reasonable. Shutting everything down and hiding is not reasonable, it is cowardly. Avoiding large crowds and wearing a mask next to others is fine if you wish. There is a point however, as with every virus, that you must get on with living. You cannot expect people with strong immune systems to sacrifice their youth to extend the lives of people who have weak immune systems. Quarantine people who are at high risk if you want, but dont steal peoples youth. That is immoral.
I think it is immoral to put our own comfort before others' lives but to each their own.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Can we please take this discussion of morality elsewhere? Immanuel Kant isn't a Japanese Lady skater, last I checked.
True, but Rika Kihira is. And it is her actions Im defending and some others are attacking. But I do agree that we should move on.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
True, but Rika Kihira is. And it is her actions Im defending and some others are attacking. But I do agree that we should move on.
Kihira's morality and free will are beside the point to me. This move will either help her skate better or it won't. We will see.

readernick

Medalist
Can we please take this discussion of morality elsewhere? Immanuel Kant isn't a Japanese Lady skater, last I checked.
Fair point. Although, I am rather a fan of Immanuel Kant and if anyone wants to start a discussion about him elsewhere I would definitely be up for that :) Back to the issue at play, Rika is a naturally cautious person, and I believe she will do all she can to remain safe. I wonder if she went to Colorado to work on her jumps, or on choreography with Tom Dickson or Catarina Lindgren. I believe Lindgren made her very charming exhibition program that she debuted at 4CC last year. I wish she would get a new LP, but I doubt that is going to happen.

Reactions: Giu

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
So Zero out of over 3,000 pro athletes. And 1 out of over 15,000 college athletes. So basically 1 out of 20,000? And your (sic) scared? Ok, Im not. But you are entitled to your fear just the same.
I hope you never have to deal with a long-term health issue. Some of them are worse than death.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I wonder if she went to Colorado to work on her jumps, or on choreography with Tom Dickson or Catarina Lindgren. I believe Lindgren made her very charming exhibition program that she debuted at 4CC last year. I wish she would get a new LP, but I doubt that is going to happen.
Well, she didn't get choreography from Dickson this time. I think it's probably for jumps, or in preparation for next season's program(s). I hope she doesn't waste time on a gala for this season, there are better things she can be spending time on, like trying to build in the muscle memory for the 4S into her LP, maybe even start figuring out how she can do two quads there. Or maybe just to build back her 3Lz since it's gone missing again.

lzxnl

Final Flight
Well, she didn't get choreography from Dickson this time. I think it's probably for jumps, or in preparation for next season's program(s). I hope she doesn't waste time on a gala for this season, there are better things she can be spending time on, like trying to build in the muscle memory for the 4S into her LP, maybe even start figuring out how she can do two quads there. Or maybe just to build back her 3Lz since it's gone missing again.
She's mentioned in an interview that 'although she trains every day, she's not planning on adding another quad this season because there aren't enough competitions'. This seems to suggest that she's training a quad toe regularly as well, just doesn't have the time to put it into competition. Going to Colorado seems like an attempt to further train that 4T, given we saw some quad training footage a few years back when she was there.

Quite honestly, if she wants to beat Kamila, she'll need to either land two quads and three triple axels cleanly and hope Kamila doesn't land everything, or land three quads and two triple axels cleanly, as by Olympic season you can bet that Kamila will have her 3A down and possibly another quad by then. Rika is certainly very aware of what she needs to do to maximise her chances of winning the Olympics. Thus, I'm hoping she's working on enough consistency on the 4S to repeat it, and to be able to land a 4T as well. Although adding TWO more quads in a single season is a tall ask. That's what Olympic season might require from her though.

Lzbee

Final Flight
Figure skater: "I got Covid and got heart damage/lung damage etc"

Figure skating fans: "Yeah but did you die"

Lmao, I'm sorry but this conversation just fits the meme too well.

Anyway, I hope the move helps Rika achieve her goals. I think she's a challenger even without a 4T though? Repeating the 4S should give her a boost in BV.