2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 51 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I think she's a challenger even without a 4T though? Repeating the 4S should give her a boost in BV.
She's a challenger this season with a 3A in the SP and one quad + two 3As in the LP. Probably not for the WC (that will go to whoever lands all their content between the two quadsters Russia will be sending), but definitely for a silver/bronze.

readernick

Medalist
Figure skater: "I got Covid and got heart damage/lung damage etc"

Figure skating fans: "Yeah but did you die"

Lmao, I'm sorry but this conversation just fits the meme too well.

Anyway, I hope the move helps Rika achieve her goals. I think she's a challenger even without a 4T though? Repeating the 4S should give her a boost in BV.
Yes, but she might prefer to do two quads and not have to put one in combination.

For instance:
4T
4S
3A+3T
3Lz
3A
3F3Lo
3LzEu3S (or 3FEu3S)

or to have three quads and two 3As (although this is a very ambitious layout)

4S+3T
4T
4S
3AEu3S
3A
3F3Lo
3Lz

Lzbee

Final Flight
Yes, but she might prefer to do two quads and not have to put one in combination.

For instance:
4T
4S
3A+3T
3Lz
3A
3F3Lo
3LzEu3S (or 3FEu3S)

or to have three quads and two 3As (although this is a very ambitious layout)

4S+3T
4T
4S
3AEu3S
3A
3F3Lo
3Lz
Wow that second layout :eek: it has a BV of 87.91 with Rika's current spins.

She misses out on a few points with her spins at the moment compared to Anna who had 87.48 at 2020 nationals with three quads and a StSq3.

The power of 4Lz and 4F is insane. Seems crazy that a 5 ultra-c layout can only just match up to a 3 ultra-c layout. If Rika could do a 4Lz instead of 4T, she'd be set as the runaway favourite.

readernick

Medalist
Wow that second layout :eek: it has a BV of 87.91 with Rika's current spins.

She misses out on a few points with her spins at the moment compared to Anna who had 87.48 at 2020 nationals with three quads and a StSq3.

The power of 4Lz and 4F is insane. Seems crazy that a 5 ultra-c layout can only just match up to a 3 ultra-c layout. If Rika could do a 4Lz instead of 4T, she'd be set as the runaway favourite.
Honestly, Anna's spins aren't that great. Anna's highest international SP score is 78 points and her average score is quite a bit lower. Her spins frequently aren't very centered or fast despite her flexibility. Rika should work on her spins, but the one she will lose points to on spins is Kamila. You can't take nationals scoring too seriously.

Lzbee

Final Flight
Honestly, Anna's spins aren't that great. Anna's highest international SP score is 78 points and her average score is quite a bit lower. Her spins frequently aren't very centered or fast despite her flexibility. Rika should work on her spins, but the one she will lose points to on spins is Kamila. You can't take nationals scoring too seriously.
For BV in the FP? Anna's highest international FP BV is 85.78 at GPF with an underrotation on her 4Lz.

But I did forget about the SP. Rika has an advantage there if Anna doesn't add a 3A. (Big if though... Anna says she's working on a 3A too...)

readernick

Medalist
For BV in the FP? Anna's highest international FP BV is 85.78 at GPF with an underrotation on her 4Lz.

But I did forget about the SP. Rika has an advantage there if Anna doesn't add a 3A. (Big if though... Anna says she's working on a 3A too...)
I was only addressing the fact that you said Rika would lose a lot of points in spins to Anna. I don't think that is the case. Obviously landing the 4Lz is a huge advantage for Anna in the LP. However, I think doing the 4Lz would be harder for Rika than for the girls who do it currently because she has very good technique on that jump and, ironically, that means she doesn't pre-rotate enough to use the technique that makes it possible for most ladies currently performing it.

Lzbee

Final Flight
I was only addressing the fact that you said Rika would lose a lot of points in spins to Anna. I don't think that is the case. Obviously landing the 4Lz is a huge advantage for Anna in the LP. However, I think doing the 4Lz would be harder for Rika than for the girls who do it currently because she has very good technique on that jump and, ironically, that means she doesn't pre-rotate enough to use the technique that makes it possible for most ladies currently performing it.
Fair enough. Agreed on the 4Lz. The scoring is quite frustrating in that good Lz technique is not really rewarded over consistent but iffy lutzes.

lzxnl

Final Flight
The world is finally happening! Yay, can't wait! I really want Rika to become a world champion. With her planned content, I think she does have a pretty good chance!
If she lands all her jumps at maximum difficulty, she probably wins. However, that's a big ask, as she's never skated 100% clean before. Ever. She would have to land a 4S, 3 3As and all her combos cleanly, and historically she messes up at least one of them.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Are you ready???

I'm not ready!!! Excited but not thrilled to go through the whole stress process that I get into everytime Rika skates.

One step at a time! Aim for a clean SP first!

Has she got her lutz back?

readernick

Medalist
Are you ready???

I'm not ready!!! Excited but not thrilled to go through the whole stress process that I get into everytime Rika skates.

One step at a time! Aim for a clean SP first!

Has she got her lutz back?
She had a beautiful lutz in her SP at Nationals. So, I think she can jump lutzes but I think she is only planning one in the FS because of last year's injury.

amarjargal

Rinkside
If she lands all her jumps at maximum difficulty, she probably wins. However, that's a big ask, as she's never skated 100% clean before. Ever. She would have to land a 4S, 3 3As and all her combos cleanly, and historically she messes up at least one of them.
Yes, it's so nerve racking to watch her skate. Realistically I think Anna Scherbakova might win, but still my dream winner is Rika. And it's not like she has no chance at it, she does have a chance. I really want her to land everything beautifully and win!

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Mao Shimada, the National Novice ladies' champion this season, made it to land a 4T (with q mark) in a local competition (Kansai Novice competition 2021):

Protocol

Shimada was in the 2nd place at the competition (reportedly messed up some of the jumps after landing the 4T and combination jump). So she took the 2nd place and was behind Haruna Murakami(?)

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Mao Shimada, the National Novice ladies' champion this season, made it to land a 4T (with q mark) in a local competition (Kansai Novice competition 2021):

Protocol

Shimada was in the 2nd place at the competition (reportedly messed up some of the jumps after landing the 4T and combination jump). So she took the 2nd place and was behind Haruna Murakami(?)
I thought Shimada was going for 3As? She’s a Hamada student, right? Hamada’s novices are landing 3As then they go for 4s. That’s the plan anyway.

...it could be that the 4T is just easier for her for now.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
I thought Shimada was going for 3As? She’s a Hamada student, right? Hamada’s novices are landing 3As then they go for 4s. That’s the plan anyway.

...it could be that the 4T is just easier for her for now.
Shimada trains with Hamada now (belongs to Kinoshita Group). Before moving to Kyoto, she was training in Tokyo (under the same coach as Wakaba? IIRC).

Yes, she was attempting 3As in the Novice competitions this season, but couldn't get the jump rotated (in the competitions). Perhaps that's why she switches to 4T now, which is not a bad idea.