2020-21 South Korean Figure Skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2020-21 South Korean Figure Skating

readernick

Medalist
I think Nats (at least the final groups) will be broadcast, fans are pressuring KSU to do a youtube stream for the Ranking Competition but you know KSU is nothing if not incompetent and lazy (deep sigh)

The competition that was cancelled was for novices and juniors, but I am adding my voice to the Korean fans demanding a Yuna Kim Cup, to be held without spectators and livestreamed, as our own version of a domestic GP
That would be wonderful! KSU has seemed reluctant to hold events. They didn't take a GP when offered, but I do hope they show some competence and diligence in this specific case! I want to see the talented girls!

herro

On the Ice
3A by Seoyeon

Looks great! I'm a little late to the party... but have there been any meaningful updates to how the other members of the Korean ladies team are doing in terms of upping their technical content thus far with respect to 3As and potential quads?

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Is Seoyeon in America at the moment?

If so, that's kinda odd to think about since both Young and Cha had to go back to Korea whereas she got the chance to stay...
Unless she's a permanent resident then I would get why.
OR unless, this is an old clip and this is her first landed 3A and she wants this to be seen as her best attempt?

I'm just trying to make some sense here.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Me right now: :bang::palmf::bang::dbana:

First, how the (bleep) is Junhwan supposed to go to Canada? The two-week quarantine means that he has to fly to Toronto literally within the next week, and even if he's allowed in through the border how can he have enough time to get all the paperwork done? It's the holidays here in Korea to boot, it's virtually impossible for him to be there let alone be in competition shape. This is just plain ridiculous.

Second, I'm flabbergasted at the fact that ZERO Korean ladies were invited. The silver medalist at 4CC did not get an invite, how in the world is that supposed to make sense? We have four ladies that would've deserved two spots each (Young, Yelim, Eunsoo, Haein) and there's my beloved Seoyoung (Wi, half-and-half is out so she's coming up) to think of as well. That's not even taking into account skaters like Haneul and Jihun. It's not like I'd want our ladies risking themselves by travelling overseas, but lord this is insulting. ISU continues to disrespect our ladies and I am not okay with it :bang::bang::bang:
Junhwan is still on the list of Skate Canada assingments. That means that the KSU confirmed his participation. Or do you still have holidays in Korea so that they couldn't inform the ISU?

As far as the ladies are concerned, I think the KSU should have done more polticking and negotiations with the Chinese fed and have explored some opportunities for them to go there. No one will care about Korean ladies (and other skaters) more than the KSU.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
ooof
I hope Jun is in Canada already then. What a tough situation he is in :(

I'm gonna say something unpopular but I'm happy that (other than for Jun and Young obvi) that no one is participating in this year's GP series. I'm just seeing it as their year to be normal. I keep forgetting that Eunsoo and Yelim are almost 18 so they have to prep for their senior final exams.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Junhwan is still on the list of Skate Canada assingments. That means that the KSU confirmed his participation. Or do you still have holidays in Korea so that they couldn't inform the ISU?

As far as the ladies are concerned, I think the KSU should have done more polticking and negotiations with the Chinese fed and have explored some opportunities for them to go there. No one will care about Korean ladies (and other skaters) more than the KSU.
Holidays ended on Sunday, but as far as I know he's still in Korea and he has to leave like literally now to even physically be there to compete (assuming that he somehow gets inside the borders). I won't be surprised if KSU just left Junhwan to deal with the GP situation on his own, I do mean it when I keep on saying that they're notoriously incompetent. You just don't trust KSU to do things, least of all care for our skaters.

ooof
I hope Jun is in Canada already then. What a tough situation he is in :(

I'm gonna say something unpopular but I'm happy that (other than for Jun and Young obvi) that no one is participating in this year's GP series. I'm just seeing it as their year to be normal. I keep forgetting that Eunsoo and Yelim are almost 18 so they have to prep for their senior final exams.
Young wasn't invited to any GPs, or am I reading your words wrong? :confused:

If you mean that you would've been fine had Young been invited since she's not facing college entrance exams right now, both Eunsoo and Yelim technically face college prep next year as they're still sophomores until next March. They do need to do their Winter Sports Festival for their portfolios this season, but who knows if that will even take place (deep sigh)

Last edited:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
LOL
I had a brain fart moment about Young's situation. :dbana:
Ughhh it's still a real shame because she could be a gold contender at SkAm.
And hey thanks for clarifying about Eunsoo and Yelim's school situation too. I keep on thinking that they are a year older than expected. Oh man, next year is going to be tough for them. Then again, it depends if the Beijing Olympics happen though.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
LOL
I had a brain fart moment about Young's situation. :dbana:
Ughhh it's still a real shame because she could be a gold contender at SkAm.
And hey thanks for clarifying about Eunsoo and Yelim's school situation too. I keep on thinking that they are a year older than expected. Oh man, next year is going to be tough for them. Then again, it depends if the Beijing Olympics happen though.
I honestly think Korean girls and boys arenā€™t missing out on anything this season. Looking at how number of cases in US and Canada is on the rise again, with third and second wave respectively, thereā€™s a big likelihood no competitions will take place.
Looking at the number of cases, at this point, even entering US is a health risk in itselfšŸ™„ and Canada is being hit by 2nd wave pretty hard too. not worth it...

gotoschool

Medalist
Surprised, delighted and excited that Young You gets to compete in Japan, but I hope they don't make her go through four weeks of basically home arrest for a round trip from South Korea to Japan, especially since she has already done two weeks detainment returning from the US. I think this is a serious physical and psychological consideration for training and health in general.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Date and venue for the Ranking Competition and Nats have been uploaded by the KSU:

Ranking Competition - 2020.12.18-2020.12.20, Mokdong rink
Nats - 2021.01.08-2021.01.10, Mokdong rink

The National Figure Skating Competition is scheduled to take place at 4.8-4.10, venue TBD, and the National Winter Sports Festival is scheduled at 2.1-2.5, venue TBD.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I wish the ranking competition was held earlier.....but oh wellz :/

I'm just happy to know that we'll be able to see some skating in SK

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
KSU has announced that there will be no spectators for domestic competitions but didn't say anything about broadcasts :palmf: As I said before at least the final flights for Nats will probably be broadcast, but this leaves the Ranking Competition unanswered. Last season there were videos uploaded on KakaoTV and on instagram the Team Korea account did livestream the final flight of men, but the KakaoTV channel has been dormant since and the livestream on instagram wasn't commissioned by KSU. We'll only know when we know... :bang:

In other news, Young's programs were announced via her ISU bio. I'm quite happy to see that her SP is by Yeaji Shin, all hail.

SP
Istanbul Grooves by Yasar Akpence
Asterix & Obelix: Mission Cleopatra (soundtrack) by Philippe Chany
choreo. by Yeaji Shin

FS
Lord of the Rings (soundtrack) by Howard Shore, performed by The Piano Guys
May It Be (from Lord of the Rings: Fellowhip of the Ring) by Howard Shore
choreo. by Lori Nichol

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
KSU has announced that there will be no spectators for domestic competitions but didn't say anything about broadcasts :palmf: As I said before at least the final flights for Nats will probably be broadcast, but this leaves the Ranking Competition unanswered. Last season there were videos uploaded on KakaoTV and on instagram the Team Korea account did livestream the final flight of men, but the KakaoTV channel has been dormant since and the livestream on instagram wasn't commissioned by KSU. We'll only know when we know... :bang:

In other news, Young's programs were announced via her ISU bio. I'm quite happy to see that her SP is by Yeaji Shin, all hail.

SP
Istanbul Grooves by Yasar Akpence
Asterix & Obelix: Mission Cleopatra (soundtrack) by Philippe Chany
choreo. by Yeaji Shin

FS
May It Be (from Lord of the Rings: Fellowhip of the Ring) by Howard Shore
choreo. by Lori Nichol
Lord of the rings themed program?!
is this a gift from gods?
Lori, I pray you make this music justice!