2020-21 South Korean Figure Skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2020-21 South Korean Figure Skating

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
So the level determiner tests for levels 7 and 8 happened today, no spectators (not even the skaters' families) were allowed so there's zero videos. While not a competition the test results tell us who's going to be a new domestic senior and who'll newly be able to skate at the JGP selection events. Also, since the 8th level for men requires that you jump a 3A it also works as a tracker for the technical development among our men.

There are two parts to the level tests: the compulsory element test (you are given chances to do the required elements) and the free program test (you have to do the required elements in the context of skating a FS). You have to pass the compulsory test to be able to take the free program test, and if you pass the compulsory but fail the free program the next time you try you only have to do the free program test.

*Compulsory elements
Ladies: for level 7 must be able to jump 2 out of three among 3Lo, 3F, and 3Lz, for level 8 must have three triple jumps and a 3-3 combo.
Men: for level 7 must be able to jump 2 out of three among 3Lo, 3F, and 3Lz and a 3-3 combo, for level 8 must have four triple jumps and a 3A.

Passed both tests for level 7
Ladies: Yook Jeongmin, Kim Chaeyeon
Men: Jeong Deokhoon, Kim Hyeongyeom, Lim Juheon, Lee Jaekeun
Passed the compulsory element test for level 7
Ladies: Hwang Jiyoung, Hwang Jihyun
Passed both tests for level 8
Ladies: Yun Ahsun, Moon Boin
Passed the compulsory element test for level 8
Ladies: Kim Minchae
Men: Cha Younghyun

The point of this long post is the fact that my tesoro Younghyun passed the compulsory for level 8, aka HE HAS A 3A. He tried and fell on downgraded ones during last season, this means that he's now landing them!! No videos so I have no idea how they're looking, but I'm just so happy with the thought of all four men of the national team now having a 3A

Last edited:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
My beloved Seoyoung (Wi)'s FS has been announced by Yeaji Shin, all hail, on her instagram. https://www.instagram.com/p/CHSy4Wjr-17/?igshid=1nrlbg7roz6tm

It's Tristan and Iseult by Maxime Rodriguez, I had put it on my list of suspects back when she leaked that there was a love potion involved in the theme and I'm excited to see how it turns out. The cut was done with Maxime Rodriguez who apparently remastered the track for my beloved 😍

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
My beloved Seoyoung (Wi)'s FS has been announced by Yeaji Shin, all hail, on her instagram. https://www.instagram.com/p/CHSy4Wjr-17/?igshid=1nrlbg7roz6tm

It's Tristan and Iseult by Maxime Rodriguez, I had put it on my list of suspects back when she leaked that there was a love potion involved in the theme and I'm excited to see how it turns out. The cut was done with Maxime Rodriguez who apparently remastered the track for my beloved 😍
I got so excited when I saw that she is skating to Tristan and Isolde, because I have been waiting for years for a ladies skater to use this music and then I saw that she is not using Wagner's original composition:dbana:guess I have to keep on waiting for a Wagner Tristan and Isolde :drama: anyways, I am still excited to see the program, the soundtrack by M.R. is great as well and I am happy that someone actually skates to Tristan and Isolde, which in my opinion, is far superior than R&J as a tragic love story *hides quickly*

Last edited:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I got so excited when I saw that she is skating to Tristan and Isolde, because I have been waiting for years for a ladies skater to use this music and then I saw that she is not using Wagner's original composition:dbana:guess I have to keep on waiting for a Wagner Tristan and Isolde :drama: anyways, I am still excited to see the program, the soundtrack by M.R. is great as well and I am happy that someone actually skates to Tristan and Isolde, which in my opinion, is far superior than R&J as a tragic love story *hides quickly*
She's 15, Wagner is a tad bit too heavy for her as of the moment. And I think people don't use Tristan and Isolde as much because of its complexity, mainly the fact that Isolde is married and their love story is an affair

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
She's 15, Wagner is a tad bit too heavy for her as of the moment. And I think people don't use Tristan and Isolde as much because of its complexity, mainly the fact that Isolde is married and their love story is an affair
I was not criticizing her. I was just expressing that I thought she was using Wagner's composition and got excited for a second. I think Maxime's composition is beautiful as well.
R&J is not a less heavier story, if you consider the end and message of it.
I think Wagner is not used as much as there is not a lot of drama and fast paced tracks in his T&I composition, he stays very soft, eerie and sometimes monotone and people love to put fast paced music in their free programs to build up, it is difficult to keep people enganged during a whole program with slow music, so I understand why people stay away from his composition. Also Tristan and Isolde is not as commonly known as R&J. R&J is basicslly taught in every English class across the globe with many movie adaptions. I think during the early 2000s a few skaters used Wagner's T&I composition

tafattsbarn

Rinkside
One astonishing update: Sunghoon is going to be a part of a new idol reality show https://twitter.com/mnetiland/status/1267283005384519681?s=19
Apparently he has been an idol trainee for two years and a month, I literally have no idea how he managed both skating and being a trainee... Anyway, this means that he's not going to take part in the upcoming(ish) season if it's not a full-out retirement from skating, the JGP may not happen at all I know but now who's going to use the remaining tickets for our men...

Wow, imagine my surprise seeing that he actually was one of the lucky 7 (out of 23?) that made it! Guessing this is an unofficial retirement if he's going to be an idol now? Has he released a statement about it or are we left to assume?

Looks like he'll make a fine idol!

I agree that it's very impressive and comendable that he continued to train + compete while being an idol trainee. Not to mention that he managed to get his 3A last year while all of this was going on too. That must take some serious dedication and discipline towards both parts.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy

she may be our poster girl for our campaign for finding a substitute to R+J :LOL:
i don't think skaters know, as they don't know the meaning of songs like big spender and after all Juliet is married too:LOL:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I was not criticizing her. I was just expressing that I thought she was using Wagner's composition and got excited for a second. I think Maxime's composition is beautiful as well.
R&J is not a less heavier story, if you consider the end and message of it.
I think Wagner is not used as much as there is not a lot of drama and fast paced tracks in his T&I composition, he stays very soft, eerie and sometimes monotone and people love to put fast paced music in their free programs to build up, it is difficult to keep people enganged during a whole program with slow music, so I understand why people stay away from his composition. Also Tristan and Isolde is not as commonly known as R&J. R&J is basicslly taught in every English class across the globe with many movie adaptions. I think during the early 2000s a few skaters used Wagner's T&I composition.
I didn't think you were trying to criticize her, sorry if I sounded harsh. And you have a very good point there with both Wagner's Tristan and Isolde not being chosen as much due to being soft and eerie and the story itself not being as well-known. I do think that R&J's weight (it takes the deaths of innocent lovers to reconcile two families in a blood feud) isn't of the moral kind (i.e. a married woman having an affair with her husband's nephew) of Tristan and Isolde and so is easier to portray, but as @elektra blue said not all choreographers pay attention to the story behind the music so :shrug:
(By the way, Elektra, you know as well as I do that you cannot have an affair with your husband so Juliet's married status basically doesn't count in the context, I guess it's my fault for bad wording :drama:)

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
The Seoul and Gyeonggi preliminaries for the National Winter Sports Festival are happening on 12.12-13, free skate only and it's going to be held without spectators. It's the first domestic competitions with potential big names (the National Winter Sports Festival records count for your college portfolio, plus it is one of the big domestic competitions) and the place where new programs would be revealed, but we're going to be lucky if a coach posts a short video on their social media... (sigh)

By the way, the skaters are divided into age groups (elementary/middle/high school/college/regular) and top 3 in ladies and top 2 in men (if applicable) qualify to WSF.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Date and venue for the Ranking Competition and Nats have been uploaded by the KSU:

Ranking Competition - 2020.12.18-2020.12.20, Mokdong rink
Nats - 2021.01.08-2021.01.10, Mokdong rink

The National Figure Skating Competition is scheduled to take place at 4.8-4.10, venue TBD, and the National Winter Sports Festival is scheduled at 2.1-2.5, venue TBD.
I almost forgot, on top of the previously announced schedules the Young Hopes competition will take place on 02.01-05 at Uijeongbu rink. With new cases popping up recently the competition with more competitors and of less weight/time pressure (the Young Hopes competition is almost all pre-novice to novice, some domestic juniors, and so less influenced by timing) have been pushed back, it seems.

Regarding detailed schedules and livestream links/results for these competitions, I'll post here when they're announced.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea

KSU has opened a youtube channel to livestream events, the Ranking Competition is probably going to be streamed through this. Not sure about Nats yet, KBS could choose to broadcast so we'll have to see

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Wait, does yelim Kim have back problems? I noticed she doesn't do a layback. But maybe I'm watching the wrong videos.
Yelim doesn't do layback spins as far as I remember, I don't know about back problems but she's always done sit spins instead. She's good at it so :shrug: