2020-21 South Korean Figure Skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2020-21 South Korean Figure Skating

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Because of the recent upsurge of covid cases the city council of Seoul has announced a shutdown of most public buildings until the 19th, which is an issue because an ice rink is a public building and the Ranking Competition (scheduled to take place in Mokdong, Seoul) is supposed to start on the 18th. KSU hasn't said anything yet regarding possible postponement/cancellation, I'll update here if there's any news.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
😰
I hope they cancel the ranking competition then. There's no point in holding it during the Christmas celebration week and then expect everyone to compete again in nationals in early January. Even I think they should push back nationals to later January too.

Briananing

On the Ice
Because of the recent upsurge of covid cases the city council of Seoul has announced a shutdown of most public buildings until the 19th, which is an issue because an ice rink is a public building and the Ranking Competition (scheduled to take place in Mokdong, Seoul) is supposed to start on the 18th. KSU hasn't said anything yet regarding possible postponement/cancellation, I'll update here if there's any news.
what about young you then ? I m a bit confused about her training situation? Is she training in Osaka or Seoul at the moment ? On NHK, the commentator said that she trained in Osaka but then someone upload a picture on twitter that she seemed to still be in Seoul in October. But she was then allowed to perform in NHK, so she probably already lost 2 weeks for quarantine between October to November. Then if she needs to go back to Seoul again to attend this competition, she probably would lose another two weeks of training and now probably still in quarantined ?

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
what about young you then ? I m a bit confused about her training situation? Is she training in Osaka or Seoul at the moment ? On NHK, the commentator said that she trained in Osaka but then someone upload a picture on twitter that she seemed to still be in Seoul in October. But she was then allowed to perform in NHK, so she probably already lost 2 weeks for quarantine between October to November. Then if she needs to go back to Seoul again to attend this competition, she probably would lose another two weeks of training and now probably still in quarantined ?
She's training in Seoul, the NHK commentator probably said she's training in Osaka because she went to Japan about a month before NHK to have training time before competition and during that time she trained in Osaka. She's probably back in Seoul and in quarantine right now, fans were worried about that regarding the ranking competition. But again, the thing could be postponed or cancelled, we don't know yet.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Both the Ranking Competition and Nats have been postponed, it depends on how the covid situation and the measures against it turn out but if the situation improves and the restrictions are lifted they're supposed to be held in January/February.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Also, the results of the second level determiner tests got posted. If not specified it's a female skater.

7th level: Hwang Chaebin, Kang Eunsoo, Jeong Yean, Kang Jooha
8th level: Kim Chaeyeon, Lim Juheon (male), Park Yeonjeong, Kim Minchae
8th level compulsory element only: Kyeong Jaeseok (male)

My tesoro didn't pass the 8th level free program test so his 3A isn't quite ready yet, hoping he'll get it in due time.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
All competitions under the jurisdiction of the KSU are postponed until January, they will come up with a new schedule for competitions after the covid situation improves and the restrictions are lifted(i.e. ice rinks can open again). Accordingly the prelims for NWSF, the Ranking Competition, and Nats are postponed as I mentioned earlier.

Last edited:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Amidst the somber times there is one bit of great news: we have a new junior ice dance team! After Jeon/Choi split (Sungmin is back to singles btw) I thought junior ice dance was doomed for a good long while, but in a video about their livestreamed Christmas ice show at Gwacheon rink (Young's home rink, for the curious) it was announced that Kim Jinny and Lee Namu are a new ice dance team and will be performing there. Both hail from singles, obviously, and are in 8th grade, i.e. born in 2007 so probably 13. I have no idea when they became a team, Jinny was third at WSF in the elementary division so definitely after that, but I'm just happy that junior ice dance isn't dead anymore. :yahoo:

As a side note, while ice dance has different regulations regarding levels since the level tests are mostly centered around jumps, Namu was in section D at WSF so he's a first or second level skater while Jinny is a 7th level skater. I'm only mentioning this because it seems that Namu is much more newer to skating than Jinny, hope it doesn't make the partnership difficult and they can be a good match :pray:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
So the Christmas show thing is on, and Sihyeong's new FS was revealed there. It's Carmen, and despite its warhorse-ness I do think it shows a lot of promise. He's not too bad of a Don Jose and the admirable Yeaji Shin is yet to produce a bad program, based on his skate the layout isn't quite decided yet but it opened with a 3A right on the music and most elements were on the beat. I have no idea when we'll get to see the finished product :( :( but I'm excited for it.

Meanwhile the sparkling new 3-month old team of Kim Jinny/Lee Namu also performed their FD to Smile ans Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen, they're obviously not competition-ready and she is the better of the two as expected, but her dress is pretty and they're the sole junior ID team as of right now and I love them for that alone.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Not officially Korean, as there's technically three countries this team could skate for and they haven't said which one it is, but seeing as he previously represented South Korea: OnIcePerspectives posted a clip of the new dance team Charlotte Lafond-Fournier & Richard Kang-in Kam:

gotoschool

Medalist
I was so shocked at seeing one of my favorite skaters (and the other ones as well) having to wear masks during their performances, which seems contradictory to good health, that it took me a couple of tries to go back and bear to watch. I thought Young You looked great. I think her combination of fluidity and power and beauty in her jumps and spins and expansive rink coverage was really impressive and her step sequences seemed more crisp than last season. I am also thankful she "got away" with some breaths of oxygen when the mask fell down, even though free breathing during a performance is suddenly not allowed. I certainly hope this trend doesn't catch on in future competitions in South Korea or elsewhere.

readernick

Medalist
I was so shocked at seeing one of my favorite skaters (and the other ones as well) having to wear masks during their performances, which seems contradictory to good health, that it took me a couple of tries to go back and bear to watch. I thought Young You looked great. I think her combination of fluidity and power and beauty in her jumps and spins and expansive rink coverage was really impressive and her step sequences seemed more crisp than last season. I am also thankful she "got away" with some breaths of oxygen when the mask fell down, even though free breathing during a performance is suddenly not allowed. I certainly hope this trend doesn't catch on in future competitions in South Korea or elsewhere.
I thought Young You did well considering she just got out of quarantine. Still lots of work to do. However, I am sure you will be happy to know that research has shown no negative effects from wearing a face mask when exercising. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/11/201105112934.htm#:~:text=Summary:,face mask during strenuous workouts.

It does not lower oxygen levels or cause any harm. It is irritating, but not dangerous.

Last edited:

Briananing

On the Ice
she looked great. The only thing i wish more for young you (atm) is the facial expression and more intricate steps. Korea seems to have a lot of good acting schools or even performance schools, so i wish they could enroll her in one to help her to hide her expresioneless face when she skates. She certainly is very charismastic and have more star potential than dabin, yelim or seoyeong, but it would greatly benefit her if she emote more. I mean, It s not like she was near as bad as sasha in this regard, but young doesnt have a competiton ready quad, so those little things are especially important for her to get a plus point.

in the case of eunsoo, seing shoma and rika improvement and even calmness in the case of shoma, made me wish that they could send her there as well. I mean, i dont think NA coaches and clique would accept her in the future, so europe is a great option for her.