2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ooo! Thanks for posting! Totally forgot when these competitions are posted. Camera quality isn’t always there, but I’m just happy to see SKATING

Mia has grown a lot! Adele has a lot of potential. I recall seeing Haley Scott at a nationals a few years back - she was doing much more difficult jumps than her other competitiors but just didn’t have the consistency. Nice to see her again
The season is in such disarray. When do you think we'll see Alysa, Mariah, and Bradie?

natsulian

Final Flight
The season is in such disarray. When do you think we'll see Alysa, Mariah, and Bradie?
The ISP Points Challenge for all senior disciplines is this September 22nd, so we MIGHT see at least one of them debut their new programs. Mariah will be performing virtually for Japan Open, so if we do not see her new programs on the 22nd, it'll be during Japan Open.

lutzlover

On the Ice
I’m watching the Virtual Challenge Skate Novice Ladies LP and the silver medalist, Gabriela Summer Panaligan, really impressed me! She went for both 3Lz and 3F and has decent spins. Her edge quality and speed were very nice as well. Definitely someone to look out for in the future.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
No promotion for the ISP event that recently happened. No YouTube stream to bring interest either. And poor camera work, and poor editing over all; names did not even flash across the screen as a skater took starting position, so how were new fans supposed to know who was who? USFSA is so awful to us. And pulling down videos from YouTube? Clueless.

readernick

Medalist
No promotion for the ISP event that recently happened. No YouTube stream to bring interest either. And poor camera work, and poor editing over all; names did not even flash across the screen as a skater took starting position, so how were new fans supposed to know who was who? USFSA is so awful to us. And pulling down videos from YouTube? Clueless.
Poor camera work really couldn't be avoided in a socially distanced world where parents or coaches took the videos. However, I agree that they should have included skaters' names at the bottom of the screen. It would be a relatively easy fix.

Last edited:

Senseo

Spectator
O no 😭!I wanted look Alysa . I ‘m so curious about her new Sp and Fs

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My pet peeve is abrupt music cuts, and the first time I watched Mariah's FS, I felt that keenly. But Mariah won me over completely. She smooths over and connects those cuts with her impressive, emotional skating. Also, I dislike "The Winner Takes It All" for a skating competition, so this program already had two strikes against it for me, but Mariah skates it as part of the love story that the whole 4-minute program tells. She portrays the emotions of someone who's been in a love relationship, and she makes it so beautiful. She's so expressive with her face and every small movement and nuance.

Even with my first viewing of the program, I started getting over my judgment of the cuts. Then, in subsequent viewings ... I've already watched it at least 10 times ... I immediately began to perceive it differently, and could see how each music selection progresses the love story.

But the real emotional whammy comes with the first notes of "Thank You for the Music." Mariah just radiates with it. Each phrase, she makes it even more joyful. Even on my first viewing, I started getting chills from it, and by the end, I was in tears. This program is going to be a show-stopper and, when she skates it even as well as this first outing, a guaranteed standing-ovation. I dearly hope she gets to perform it for at least one live audience, but even if she doesn't, she is bringing joy to us. I've been her fan since 2015; she's come into her own as an exquisite enchantress.

Here's a link to the Sept. 22 Ladies' free skates. Mariah's starts at 42:07; Bradie's follows Mariah's. Starr is just before Mariah, and a number of other ladies's programs precede them.

tosca

On the Ice
The music cuts were egregiously bad. After two cracking long programs back to back, it’s surprising to see her with something so off the mark musically.
When I watched it, it felt like they pasted two good programs (program 1. was music in the beginning and the song at the end, program 2. was the winner takes it all) together to create a bad one.

princessalica

Final Flight
So I am really confused. Jackie Wong said Gracie placed 10th, but I don't see her on the video. Am I just missing her somehow? And what was she skating to? Do we have a list of who is skating to what now?

lutzlover

On the Ice
So I am really confused. Jackie Wong said Gracie placed 10th, but I don't see her on the video. Am I just missing her somehow? And what was she skating to? Do we have a list of who is skating to what now?
She scored about 51 in the SP and 85 in the LP I believe. But shortly after the videos and results were posted, they were taken down and reuploaded without her performances or scores. It’s really bizarre.

Did anyone watch Lindsay Thorngren, the 2020 Junior champ at the ISP Points Challenge? She has amazing consistency. She landed all of her jumps, including 2 3-3s, 1 being in the second half of the program. I’m a little worried about her jump technique since it looks like she might be prone to UR but she’s definitely flying under the radar and will be one to watch

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
She scored about 51 in the SP and 85 in the LP I believe. But shortly after the videos and results were posted, they were taken down and reuploaded without her performances or scores. It’s really bizarre.

Did anyone watch Lindsay Thorngren, the 2020 Junior champ at the ISP Points Challenge? She has amazing consistency. She landed all of her jumps, including 2 3-3s, 1 being in the second half of the program. I’m a little worried about her jump technique since it looks like she might be prone to UR but she’s definitely flying under the radar and will be one to watch
I have followed her since junior competitions last year. She does very well. Loved her music and programs both last year and this year. She jumps well, she brackets before her jumps a bit like Kostornaia and her spins are beautiful, especially impressed with her I-spin. Each move is precise and carefully done though she is a tiny bit slow which is understandable having just made the transition from junior to senior and will no doubt smooth out with experience. She is a lovely skater

Makemi

Rinkside
Just watched Mariah's ABBA LP... She's my favourite US lady, but I found the music cuts uncharacteristically jarring :scratch2: Maybe she'll change my mind eventually though.
Okay good I thought I was the only one that thought that. Mariah really sold it and her jumps were on point but I really was not a fan of the music cuts. It just seemed so random. And considering it was Shae-Lynn I was especially disappointed. But perhaps I'll change my mind when I see it in competition.

From what I understand her video was super pixelated. (I think Jackie even said he couldn't see the jumps and couldn't even identify the music). The video was uploaded first with her videos in it, then it was taken down and put back up with her videos removed. I think there's another stream somewhere that still has Gracie's videos in them, try the ISP thread.

Also I just found out why Amber didn't submit to the ISP. Apparently she fractured her orbital bone during cryotherapy. 😢

I'm also wondering what's going on with Alysa? I was sure she would submit to the ISP. I'm worried that her new coaching situation is not working out and perhaps she's not in competition shape.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Re Amber Glenn, the more complete story is that she already had tweeted reassurance two days ago (the emphasis is her own):

Thanks for all of the well wishes !! :two hearts: Recovering SUPER fast & well 💪

I love Amber, and I am not trying to dismiss her accident (which was caused by a malfunction of the cryotank, it seems).

But I do not want anyone to be left hanging without her tweet.

Lindsay Thorngen is among the entries for Boston Open SP (today) and FS.

Also in the field: Emmy Ma representing Taiwan, and Ashley Lin representing China.

The Summer Competitions thread has links to schedule, results page, etc.
(Because of copyright restrictions, the livestream will not have audio.)

Last edited:

dancelion21

On the Ice
I'm also wondering what's going on with Alysa? I was sure she would submit to the ISP. I'm worried that her new coaching situation is not working out and perhaps she's not in competition shape.
My guess is that Alysa's still adjusting to her new coaching situation. Hopefully, she will submit videos for the second opportunity in October. I'm trying not to be too concerned, since several top skaters didn't submit videos for the first ISP opportunity (all the Gadbois ice dance teams, Karen Chen, Vincent Zhou, etc.)

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
My pet peeve is abrupt music cuts, and the first time I watched Mariah's FS, I felt that keenly. But Mariah won me over completely. She smooths over and connects those cuts with her impressive, emotional skating. Also, I dislike "The Winner Takes It All" for a skating competition, so this program already had two strikes against it for me, but Mariah skates it as part of the love story that the whole 4-minute program tells. She portrays the emotions of someone who's been in a love relationship, and she makes it so beautiful. She's so expressive with her face and every small movement and nuance.

Even with my first viewing of the program, I started getting over my judgment of the cuts. Then, in subsequent viewings ... I've already watched it at least 10 times ... I immediately began to perceive it differently, and could see how each music selection progresses the love story.

But the real emotional whammy comes with the first notes of "Thank You for the Music." Mariah just radiates with it. Each phrase, she makes it even more joyful. Even on my first viewing, I started getting chills from it, and by the end, I was in tears. This program is going to be a show-stopper and, when she skates it even as well as this first outing, a guaranteed standing-ovation. I dearly hope she gets to perform it for at least one live audience, but even if she doesn't, she is bringing joy to us. I've been her fan since 2015; she's come into her own as an exquisite enchantress.
I was probably primed by skylark's well-stated take on Mariah's LP, but whether I was or not, I LOVED it. The music cuts really worked to me to tell a story -- be it a romantic one, or one about personal striving and growth and milestones and your inner view of yourself vs being judged (so fitting for anyone competing in skating!). I was blown away. LOVE IT. If you find the music cuts jarring, please consider watching it again a time or two and really focus on what Mariah is presenting. It's a bold choice to use the music that way -- completely WORKS WORKS WORKS for me. I found it really moving and a true work of art -- and that's at such an early stage in the season! wow.