2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating

readernick

Medalist
Interesting podcast from Polina Edmunds about positive rink environment, and puberty in figure skating:

skatinggold

On the Ice
The ISP Ladies Short Program is out. They really want Mariah Bell to win this year I guess. They must be sending Alysa Liu a message here with her score for such a clean program, I thought her speed was pretty good in the video and this program looked way better than the Japan Open one. Girl can spin!

Last edited:

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
How did Mariah beat Bradie with a fall???

I think Bradie might have had a few URs but Mariah had a fall and a two footed landing.

Skating and performance wise Mariah was probably a bit smoother but Bradie was no slouch!

It looks like they decide to hammer Alysa and Bradie to get Mariah on top.

On the upside I am very pleased to see Alysa's new video! SHE JUST NEEDS A REAL LIFE COACH!!! I think she's going to be ok!

haribobo

On the Ice
Seniors in ISP yet to compete this season, that I am aware of... Ting Cui, Caitlin Ha, Hanna Harrell, Gabriella Izzo, Emily Zhang

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Alysa's SP looked improved. Also she did her layback spin! Will there be protocols? I want to have a look.
Seems like Bradie is still adjusting. I think she got a few UR calls, some of her jumps looked under. Mariah looked sharp, too bad for the fall, otherwise a good skate.
Amber, please stop popping your axels, I thought we left that behind last season 😩

katymay

Medalist
The ISP Ladies Short Program is out. They really want Mariah Bell to win this year I guess. They must be sending Alysa Liu a message here with her score for such a clean program, I thought her speed was pretty good in the video and this program looked way better than the Japan Open one. Girl can spin!
Yes, it was much better, and her speed and flow was better as well. Alysa still rotates so fast. I guess I missed some UR's with Lindsay, was surprised she was that low. (would have had her more 61,62).

dancelion21

On the Ice
Mariah definitely won the SP because of PCS. Alysa and Bradie both landed all their jumps, but I imagine they both got underrotations (probably in their combinations). Except Mariah fell too on her 3F-3T<, and Alysa had her combination in the second half. We don't get protocols, but I imagine that Alysa still had the highest TES since she had the highest BV by putting her combo in the second half, and she landed all of her jumps, though it was probably quite close since we don't know the GOE that they got.

I am glad that it's pretty obvious Alysa's SP at Carnival on Ice was a one-off, where she did the 3F-2T. She's still fully capable of doing 3-3s the way she used to.

Not totally sure how Mariah outscored herself from the 1st Challenge (67.69 then vs 69.28 now) when she fell on her combination jump at the 2nd challenge compared to falling on the solo 3Lz in the 1st Challenge.

Seems like USFS is really pushing Mariah/sending a message to Alysa and Bradie.

Sk8D8

Spectator
How did Mariah beat Bradie with a fall???

I think Bradie might have had a few URs but Mariah had a fall and a two footed landing.

Skating and performance wise Mariah was probably a bit smoother but Bradie was no slouch!

It looks like they decide to hammer Alysa and Bradie to get Mariah on top.

On the upside I am very pleased to see Alysa's new video! SHE JUST NEEDS A REAL LIFE COACH!!! I think she's going to be ok!
Not to mention Bells toe was way cheated, the reason why she fell! Curious if they called it?

bytheriver

On the Ice
A lot of Bradie and Alysa’s jumps were very borderline UR, so they probably decided to call them. They really need to be consistent about doing that and not just avoid calling them when a skater is favored by the federation. Both of theirs have been overlooked a ton in the past and it’s confusing for a skater to suddenly score 10 points lower domestically (internationally is a whole different story).

dancelion21

On the Ice
Unfortunately, we know that's how judging works. URs are ignored and PCS is boosted when you're favored, but when you're not, it's very obvious, all the URs are called. Beyond Bradie, Mariah, and Alysa, I'm not sure if the other US ladies will be challenging for the US title. The main game is consistency. Amber has a 3A, but she was never consistent with her other jumps, and doing the 3A in practice is very different from landing it regularly in competition. Time will tell, but old habits die hard, and Amber popped her axel into a 1A today. Karen fell on her 3Lz and did a 2T in her combination jump. Her spins and skating skills are as beautiful as ever, but unfortunately, and unfairly, PCS is directly tied to jump consistency, which Karen doesn't have.

oly2018

Final Flight
I just finished up the short and only Mariah and Amber seem semi-ready for the senior season. Amber popped the axel, but I think her overall skating looked strong. Mariah seems to have consistency issues in the short program. I don't know if she can't relax into it or what, but it has become an issue. But, overall, she looked strong. Her speed and flow are good and her spins are as beautiful as ever.

bytheriver

On the Ice
Also wanted to comment on how beautiful Gracie’s camel spin is. It was actually kind of breathtaking especially after seeing some mediocre camels. The extension and speed was out of this world. Gracie seemed to have some of the strongest spins out of the girls today.

Sk8D8

Spectator
Unfortunately, we know that's how judging works. URs are ignored and PCS is boosted when you're favored, but when you're not, it's very obvious, all the URs are called. Beyond Bradie, Mariah, and Alysa, I'm not sure if the other US ladies will be challenging for the US title. The main game is consistency. Amber has a 3A, but she was never consistent with her other jumps, and doing the 3A in practice is very different from landing it regularly in competition. Time will tell, but old habits die hard, and Amber popped her axel into a 1A today. Karen fell on her 3Lz and did a 2T in her combination jump. Her spins and skating skills are as beautiful as ever, but unfortunately, and unfairly, PCS is directly tied to jump consistency, which Karen doesn't have.
Given that Amber broke her orbital bone just 3 weeks before, its impressive shes jumping or spinning at all! She needs time to fully recover before we see what she is really capable of doing this year.

mrrice

Record Breaker
A lot of Bradie and Alysa’s jumps were very borderline UR, so they probably decided to call them. They really need to be consistent about doing that and not just avoid calling them when a skater is favored by the federation. Both of theirs have been overlooked a ton in the past and it’s confusing for a skater to suddenly score 10 points lower domestically (internationally is a whole different story).

Exactly......Back in the day, a fall during the SP would drop you out of the final flight. I know they're promoting Mariah but, she doesn't need to be "Held Up" this early in the season. With a different panel, I think Bradie would have won. Just my opinion.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, kostornaia has actually better spins than last year, still solid 3-3, wonderful ss,speed- yes she was a bit shaky at test skated... but Liu is still extremely slow, lost her spins (ok maybe injury), no 3-3, and barely landed her 2a, bad technique, ss . Not writing her totally off, she still is lovely to watch, seems to have fun, but she is in a much worse position right now than kostornaia,you can't deny
Kostornaia's test skate was not good. But no one (me included) is writing her off. No one should be writing off Alysa, who is still a junior, either.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
Seems like a lot of scores were a little lower than they should, except for Mariah I guess. They really are pushing for her to win nationals (and Skate America too):rolleyes:

lurkz2

On the Ice
Exactly......Back in the day, a fall during the SP would drop you out of the final flight. I know they're promoting Mariah but, she doesn't need to be "Held Up" this early in the season. With a different panel, I think Bradie would have won. Just my opinion.
That was under 6.0 when they weren't so strict about URs. Under COP it's better to fully rotate and fall rather than UR. It's difficult to say someone was clean without looking at the protocols.

kirauza343

On the Ice
They seem to be pushing for Mariah but I really don’t think that’s a good idea. Mariah’s components are not going to be enough to make her competitive internationally, not when her tech is this low. Bradie’s not the most charismatic skater but she’s pushing herself technically (which is the more important score at the moment) and has proven she can be successful internationally. She benefits more from a number 1 US senior lady boost and gives the US a better shot at a medal at events like 4CC.

Dogo

On the Ice
Oh Mariah, if you could only get your TEC higher and jumps cleaner...

I'll admit I am not a huge Mariah supporter, last year's Free was great but I wasn't moved to tears like some others.. That said, I need to give credit where credit is due. Her SP progress really impressed me, her mannerisms and dance portrayal reminded me of a better and more matured version of Daria Usacheva. Her arms and expressions are borderline with a softer and more "in tune with contemporary music" Kamila Valieva. Which is amazing because Kamila has the energy and flexibility of a young kid (I hope she survives post-2022 but we can't be sure of that) while Mariah is proving she can try to match this and add the quality of beautiful senior skater. Adam Rippon is doing wonders on her program and I think he should work with Alysa.

Dogo

On the Ice
They seem to be pushing for Mariah but I really don’t think that’s a good idea. Mariah’s components are not going to be enough to make her competitive internationally, not when her tech is this low. Bradie’s not the most charismatic skater but she’s pushing herself technically (which is the more important score at the moment) and has proven she can be successful internationally. She benefits more from a number 1 US senior lady boost and gives the US a better shot at a medal at events like 4CC.
I respectfully disagree. I think Mariah has a lot of room to keep making progress on components, especially when it comes to performance and composition. Yes, I think it will hard to get any TEC higher but as a federation this might be a good strategy to re-energize Alysa and Bradie. They both are strong and self-motivated ladies but also need to thrive in competitive environments. In the long term, raising a bit Mariah might be a great thing for A & B to put more effort on their components and keep raising the bar with TEC.