2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
Is this the final meeting between these 2 before Nationals? With so many events being cancelled, I think it would good for them to go head to head internationally before Nationals. This years will be crucial and if we can get that 3rd spot back, I'd like see all 3 medalist from last season go to the Olympics. They have been at the top of US skating for a couple of seasons and I'd hate to see any of them left off the team.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't know why it's necessary to talk down Mariah in order to say that Bradie was wronged. Bradie made the final over Mariah on ISU technicalities. It isn't like Mariah was so far off from being there too. If anything, they are pretty neck and neck because they have different strengths. Ultimately, they need each other because neither is getting a world medal. They just both need to hope they are both favored so they can place well enough to earn a third spot for the Olympics so they both have a good chance of going.
I agree. We all know that the skaters do not score themselves and Mariah, or any skater, can't control the numbers the skaters receive

rollerblade

Record Breaker
They're certainly not supposed to be directly comparing skaters under IJS, nor keeping track of score totals in the current program or the previous phase.

Even under 6.0, judges were not supposed to be worrying about how their freeskate scores would combine with the factored placements from earlier phases to produce overall results.

Yes, judges arent supposed to, but they do though.
Joe Inman certainly did when judging the SLC 2002 ladies FS.

macy

Record Breaker
i think any hype around Mariah right now is well deserved, especially after how she performed all last season. she won 2 medals on the GP circuit and had a huge moment at nationals. she has been building momentum for over a year now. i don't think there's any propping up of Mariah and tearing down of Bradie, as someone else said they are neck and neck because they have different strengths, but she is closing the gap between them slowly. it's not like Mariah has had huge margins over Bradie this year at any time.

i think it's a mental game with Gracie at this point. she has always had trouble putting it together in competition even when she was in her prime, but i can imagine she probably lost whatever competitive mindset she had when she left the sport. speaking from experience that is extremely hard to get back, especially when you were already a nervous competitor. she can land the jumps in practice and she looks more in shape than she ever has since coming back, it's just putting it together under pressure. she isn't going to look like she's enjoying herself when she isn't skating well. i hope she and her team really focus on this and finding that fire again, maybe doing mock competitions, small competitions and more ice shows would be beneficial for her.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
I don't know why it's necessary to talk down Mariah in order to say that Bradie was wronged.
I’m not trying to talk down Mariah (if this is about me). I’m more just mad at the judges for giving this program the marks that they are because based on choreography and transitions, I don’t think this is Mariah’s best program (although many liked Hallelujah, I preferred her Experience free skate more- but that could just be that I like that music a little more). Bradie didn’t skate her best here either, it’s just that the gap between them in the short, just seemed like a lot. When it comes to programs this year and last, I feel like Bradie has had more transitions and when looking at the protocols (domestically), Mariah has gotten higher scores for transitions. However, both Bradie and Mariah are great skaters with different strengths and weaknesses and I think that if a worlds is held this year, they should be able to get that third spot (assuming that those two go to worlds).

theharleyquinn

Medalist
It is hard to say when both Bradie and Mariah's programs are not as good as their sets last year, and the jumps have regressed. Neither has reliable, rotated 3-3 combos right now, which is a liability when competing internationally. It does seem like USFS is prepared to push Mariah ahead if she brings the content. To some extent, they have to decide on who the top lady is going into the Olympic season, so it's no surprise that Mariah's boost is coming at the expense of Bradie.

It may be too early to tell but the Japanese ladies already look much better than they did last year. The U.S. ladies might have lost their moment to get 3 spots when 2020 Worlds was canceled. It's unfortunate that they won't be in front of an international judging panel for a while because that would've offered more helpful information than the judging at Skate America. They both have things to improve on.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
I’ve said it before, Bradie has been propped up a lot in PCS, GOE, uncalled URs and edges. Good for her, but Mariah getting the same treatment because she’s finally started delivering relatively consistently isn’t surprising and it’s not some slight against Bradie. These two are hardly separated in planned BV, and Mariah is obviously stronger artistically and in some GOE. They have different strengths/weaknesses. I don’t like either of their programs this year. Bradie’s programs and Mariah’s FS are especially subpar. Karen Chen was rightfully given the highest PCS at SkAM, and honestly neither Bradie or Mariah should’ve been much higher than Karen or Audrey, if at all.

macy

Record Breaker
i forgot to add how pleasantly surprised i was with Karen this weekend! i was impressed, i wasn't sure what i was expecting but she looks much better than she has the last season or 2. i was actually a bit sad she didn't podium, but it seems she's in a good place for this early in the season. i'd love if she can get some solid 3+3s back in, if she does she has a nice chance at the national podium. for me she is (yet another) US skater who hasn't realized their potential.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
Any one else nervously hoping 🤞 that the cancelled JGP series might provide a bit of privacy for Alysa during a challenging season of transition?
Me!! I’m kind of happy in a way that it was cancelled because we all saw how mean a lot of people were when she did a SHOW and I can’t imagine how those people would be after a competition that may not have went as well as Alysa would like. I don’t get why people feel the need to comment on her (or any skater’s) body, especially during puberty.

mrrice

Record Breaker
i forgot to add how pleasantly surprised i was with Karen this weekend! i was impressed, i wasn't sure what i was expecting but she looks much better than she has the last season or 2. i was actually a bit sad she didn't podium, but it seems she's in a good place for this early in the season. i'd love if she can get some solid 3+3s back in, if she does she has a nice chance at the national podium. for me she is (yet another) US skater who hasn't realized their potential.
After she placed 4th at Worlds I was expecting big things from her. She is still a beautiful skater and if she can just get 1 3/3 I think she has a great chance at Nationals. The way the judges are treating Bradie this season, I hope she can keep her place on the podium.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The way the judges are treating Bradie this season, I hope she can keep her place on the podium.

I think Bradie will be fine. There are only a handful of US women that can match her TES, and only Mariah and Alyssa are consistent enough to beat her if she skates well. Bradie hasn't scored under 210 anywhere since the 2018-19 season, while Karen has topped that score only once, and never internationally. Audrey had a good outing at Skate America but we don't know if she'll produce that form consistently.

readernick

Medalist
I think Bradie will be fine. There are only a handful of US women that can match her TES, and only Mariah and Alyssa are consistent enough to beat her if she skates well. Bradie hasn't scored under 210 anywhere since the 2018-19 season, while Karen has topped that score only once, and never internationally. Audrey had a good outing at Skate America but we don't know if she'll produce that form consistently.
Agree. Honestly, I really like Bradie (after seeing her in person), but it is quite obvious that she is struggling a bit now. She did UR a lot of jumps. She herself said she has been struggling with injury, and she just changed coaches. However, I think she is a natural competitor and she will be better by nationals as long as her injuries heal. The US federation may favor Mariah over Bradie, but they will support whichever skater scores consistently well internationally.

In regards to Karen, even with the best skates we have seen from her since 2017, she was still justifiably 4th here. If I were Bradie, Mariah, or Alysa, I wouldn't be worried too much about her as a competitor. Audrey Shin, on the other hand, seems to be on an upward trend. She could pose a true threat for the national team in a year, if she continues to improve.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
It's not the podium that matters at these Worlds, it's about getting a 3rd spot.

Yep, in reality they all know that Alysa Liu is pretty much a lock for the Olympic team since she is the only skater with technical arsenal to compete with the Russians and Japanese ladies and possibly medal at the games, no third spot means every other American skaters chances of getting to the Olympics are extremely slim.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Yep, in reality they all know that Alysa Liu is pretty much a lock for the Olympic team since she is the only skater with technical arsenal to compete with the Russians and Japanese ladies and possibly medal at the games, no third spot means every other American skaters chances of getting to the Olympics are extremely slim.
I'm not so sure that Alysa is a lock right now. The US was hoping for that 3rd spot and they didn't get a chance to fight for it at Worlds. They only have two spots and don't want to get that wrong. Alysa doesn't seem to have her tech at the moment, and she's losing most if not all of her chances to compete internationally this season. To put her on the Olympic team next year (which would mean taking Bradie or Mariah off), she'd really have to get all of her content back and consistently, otherwise they're banking on her performance from 3-4 years before the Olympics.

oly2018

Final Flight
Yeah, I don't think anyone is a lock at this point. Bradie and Mariah are at an advantage because they have competed internationally and we know where judges will place them. Alysa has not competed internationally outside of the JGP and who knows how judges would score her on the senior scene. She is really put at a disadvantage because of the lack of a junior season this year.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alysa currently does not have 3a and 4z. That may be because of limited ice availability, but it was apparent at the Japan Open that she has also grown several inches in height. It remains to be seen if she can regain her power jumps, but if she doesn't, she certainly will not be a lock for the Olympics.

kirauza343

On the Ice
Alysa did attempt a 3A for ISFS which suggests it’s almost completely back for her (even if she did fall on it). That’s really all she needs to guarantee her spot and she has plenty of time to get it back and clean up her other jumps. It’s been an off year for a lot of skaters and it’s still early; we’ll probably have a better feel for where she’s at at Nationals

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Alysa currently does not have 3a and 4z. That may be because of limited ice availability, but it was apparent at the Japan Open that she has also grown several inches in height. It remains to be seen if she can regain her power jumps, but if she doesn't, she certainly will not be a lock for the Olympics.

It's hard to see Alyssa making the team without at least the 3A if there are only two spots. Mariah and Bradie will both be trying 10 triples across their two programs, so Alyssa can't get much of a TES edge without more jump content.

macy

Record Breaker
It's hard to see Alyssa making the team without at least the 3A if there are only two spots. Mariah and Bradie will both be trying 10 triples across their two programs, so Alyssa can't get much of a TES edge without more jump content.
unless we get 3 spots back this year, there are no guarantees for anybody and Alysa will have even less of a chance. things got a whole lot more stressful for the US ladies with worlds being cancelled.

although, i don't think it would be the end of the world if Alysa didn't make the team. she will only be 16 and depth in the US ladies isn't anything crazy. if she stays healthy she could easily stick around another 4 years being a world team contender like Mariah and Bradie. it would be exciting to watch her skating grow until then.