2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have to admit I am not sure what you call the recent "competition" - American Trash? but it is often hard to stop being fans of certain skaters and be objective. Liu looks like she is facing puberty and it is affecting her more than most of us thought. Bell looks like the chosen one. It might be that Bradie though she has been more consistent and pushing the jumps comes off kind of like Rachel Flatt - flat, pedantic, ho hum. Still with Audrey Shin in the wings and Karen Chen, Mariah, Alysa, Bradie and the p andemic and puberty you just never know if the US could grab a podium spot come worlds. Now I am curious just where is Alysa really at with her jumps? LIkewise, I have to admit Gracie's come back is a lot slower and really not looking good from what have I seen Does she get an automatic spot to Nationals? How is she skating? Her power and fire was a joy years ago.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I have to admit Gracie's come back is a lot slower and really not looking good from what have I seen Does she get an automatic spot to Nationals? How is she skating? Her power and fire was a joy years ago.
To get an automatic spot, Gracie would have had to place in the top 5 at last year’s nationals. Since she didn’t do that or qualify via the early-season virtual events, her last chance is via the virtual competition that is taking the place of sectionals. Edited: And i hadn't seen her name on a list, but other Forum folks say she was entered in the VA event.

Last edited:

brightphoton

Medalist
I read this post by Ashley Wagner earlier today. She talks about figure skating and how she feels about moving on from something that was such a big part of her life.
I’ve discovered is that I no longer feel like I have access to the thing I loved so much. I still skate, but the sound of stillness before my music started, the feeling of a perfect triple triple, the sound of a standing ovation. I miss those things, and I know they will never again be a part of my life. It’s bittersweet, but I’m also happy with my new chapter. I’m so excited about where I am going, but I do miss where I came from, and it doesn’t feel like it’s my community anymore.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
To get an automatic spot, Gracie would have had to place in the top 5 at last year’s nationals. Since she didn’t do that or qualify via the early-season virtual events, her last chance is via the virtual competition that is taking the place of sectionals. And i didn’t see her name on a entry list.

AFAIK, we have not seen any entry list at all for the virtual Championship Series, so we could not have seen any skater's name on it.
Even if an entry list for the virtual series already has leaked somewhere unbeknownst to me, it could not be assumed to be a complete list -- as the deadline to register for the virtual series is not until tomorrow, Nov 20.

Gracie had registered for at least one of the in-person Championship Series events, so she is eligible to enter the virtual series.
Whether or not she chooses to enter the virtual series is a separate question -- the answer to which remains to be seen.

Results of the virtual series will be made public the week of Dec 21. Just my two cents, but it would not surprise me if USFS does not publish an entry list beforehand.

In any case, the virtual series has me fastening my seat belt for many reasons, not limited to senior ladies.

Last edited:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
AFAIK, we have not seen any entry list at all for the virtual Championship Series, so we could not have seen any skater's name on it.
Even if an entry list for the virtual series already has leaked somewhere unbeknownst to me, it could not be assumed to be a complete list -- as the deadline to register for the virtual series is not until tomorrow, Nov 20.

Gracie had registered for at least one of the in-person Championship Series events, so she is eligible to enter the virtual series.
Whether or not she chooses to enter the virtual series is a separate question -- the answer to which remains to be seen.

Results of the virtual series will be made public the week of Dec 21. Just my two cents, but it would not surprise me if USFS does not publish an entry list beforehand.

In any case, the virtual series has me fastening my seat belt for many reasons, not limited to senior ladies.
Edited: I hadn't seen Gracie’s name on the lists, but she was entered in the VA event.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Reiterating that Gracie had registered for the in-person Championship Series (the qualifying pathway designated as the replacement for this season's regionals/sectionals):
The Leesburg page of the Championship Series site originally had a complete list of groups for all of its events, including Senior Ladies.​
On Oct 5, I saw the complete list there and posted about it in this thread -- mentioning Gracie as one of the names on the Senior Ladies list.​
In my earlier post today, I had linked to my Oct 5 post. Here is the link again:​

... She was on the roster for the Leesburg VA event.

Thank you for the photo, haribobo.

... Yes, it is possible that with the change, the entry deadlines were extended & additional people will be entering.

BTW (there is no impediment to Gracie, but as a general BTW):

Only those who previously had registered for the in-person series are allowed to register for the virtual series.​

Last edited:

halulupu

Final Flight
Let's face it Gracie doesn't seem at a competitive level ATM. I don't think she should get treated better than anyoneone else this year again. If she at least gets 3 triple in, fine let her go to nationals. but somehow she doesn't seem to be really committed

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Let's face it Gracie doesn't seem at a competitive level ATM. I don't think she should get treated better than anyoneone else this year again. If she at least gets 3 triple in, fine let her go to nationals. but somehow she doesn't seem to be really committed

I think she's committed. We see lots of posts with her training on and off the ice. I just think she was away from that elite level for too long to return to it, not only physically but also mentally.

macy

Record Breaker
I think she's committed. We see lots of posts with her training on and off the ice. I just think she was away from that elite level for too long to return to it, not only physically but also mentally.
100% agree. just because she's struggling doesn't mean she isn't committed, and covid has only made things harder for her. it's not like she was trying to keep herself in elite shape, she was still working back towards it after a long break which is really different.

halulupu

Final Flight
She is struggling since 2 years! Remember exactly 2 years ago her infamous cup of russia disaster. It seems to be an endless struggle. If she gives a good performance at sectionals with some real technical content, I am totally fine if she goes to nationals. But two triples landed its just not enough. Better give the place to a younger motivated skater

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She is struggling since 2 years! Remember exactly 2 years ago her infamous cup of russia disaster. It seems to be an endless struggle. If she gives a good performance at sectionals with some real technical content, I am totally fine if she goes to nationals. But two triples landed its just not enough. Better give the place to a younger motivated skater

Gracie won't make it to Nationals unless she earns her spot. She isn't getting any significant scoring boost in either TES or PCS based on her past success; her overall level has declined and her scores reflect that.

What has surprised me is how good some of the jumps look in practice versus what she does in competition. I'm not sure if they're low percentage elements that she occasionally does really well or if it's more a matter of lacking a confidence or stamina. She's 25 now, even older than Liza, so it's hard to see how it will all come together to get on the Bradie/Mariah level.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I really wish I knew what Gracie truly wants. She's been at such a high level that she must know that a 3 Triple LP will get her nowhere. With so many shows being canceled this year, it's hard to see her going that route but, I think she would enjoy it. The crowds are great and very enthusiastic to all the skaters. Gracie is still a star in the US and I know she'd sell tickets. If her goal is the Podium I just don't see it happening. The Ladies have the content to match or beat her even when she was at her best.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I really wish I knew what Gracie truly wants. She's been at such a high level that she must know that a 3 Triple LP will get her nowhere. With so many shows being canceled this year, it's hard to see her going that route but, I think she would enjoy it. The crowds are great and very enthusiastic to all the skaters. Gracie is still a star in the US and I know she'd sell tickets. If her goal is the Podium I just don't see it happening. The Ladies have the content to match or beat her even when she was at her best.

I agree. I think she had mentioned in an interview before that she'd like to return to the Olympics, but she was 20 the last time she skated well enough to compete for a spot. It would be great to see her in shows, but I'm not sure what effect her recent results will have on her marketability. Will people still remember her as a world title contender if she continues to place at, or near, the bottom of these events?

haribobo

On the Ice
Well, she landed 2 triples in her last fs but then so did Alysa Liu so I guess we shall see. Ting and Hanna haven't competed at all yet. And then there are many others in contention for the 9 spots....zhang jung rydberg hilmer wren ushakova Choi Inthisone Ikenishi hawk Sierra hicks Murdock izzo....