2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating

frida80

Record Breaker
The governor of California has just called for a curfew because of th rising cases. If this doesn’t work, they may have a full lockdown again, with more states to follow.

I think nationals in January is looking dubious. The cases are out of control. I feel very apprehensive about things right now. Everyone stay safe.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Alysa Liu and pair skater Audrey Lu, who are among recipients of Travel and Training Grants from the Women's Sports Foundation, per announcement today:

"... The grants, ranging from $2,500 to $10,000, help keep elite women athletes on track to compete at the highest levels in their sport. Which in turn, also helps prepare them for leadership roles now and in the future, beyond the competition. ..."

Claire Cloutier's new article today about Pooja:

Well, she landed 2 triples in her last fs but then so did Alysa Liu so I guess we shall see. Ting and Hanna haven't competed at all yet. And then there are many others in contention for the 9 spots....zhang jung rydberg hilmer wren ushakova Choi Inthisone Ikenishi hawk Sierra hicks Murdock izzo....

More possibilities: ... Bautista, Munger, Biechler, Ha, Rich, Evans, ...

Exacerbating the unpredictability of the virtual Championship Series is that each skater's score will be based on video of only one program (free skate only), which is allowed to be recorded only once.

BTW: Only skaters who already had registered for the in-person Championship Series are eligible for the virtual Championship Series -- but to compete in the virtual series, each skater must make an active decision to register for the virtual series.

In other words, a skater's previous registration for the in-person series does not mean that she automatically will be registered for the virtual series. [For the in-person series, skaters could register for either one or two events. The registration fees for the in-person series are being refunded to everyone. Skaters who decide to register for the virtual series pay a new registration fee.]

Last edited:

Skatefan15

On the Ice
The Ladies have the content to match or beat her even when she was at her best.
I’m not quite sure about that. Gracie at her best was one of the absolute best in the world. And she had a 3Lz-3T, which honestly not many US women (with the exception of like 3-4) have now.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I’m not quite sure about that. Gracie at her best was one of the absolute best in the world. And she had a 3Lz-3T, which honestly not many US women (with the exception of like 3-4) have now.
It also comes down to the Program itself. I still think Bradie Tennel has great potential to regain her Title this year. With Alysa struggling and Mariah not having the strong programs like she did last season, I can see Bradie as the Champion.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Talent-wise, I don't think Mariah or Bradie are better than Gracie at her peak. However, they have put together two solid programs on several occasions, whereas Gracie usually either bombed in the short or struggled to hold her lead in the LP.

Amei

Record Breaker
Maybe in practice Gracie in her peak was "one of the absolute best in the world" but in competitions especially on the international scene, she rarely lived up to the potential that people saw in practice

But at the end of the day it's not particularly relevant at this point if Gracie "at her peak" was 1 of the best in the world when she is far removed from that point based on the competition skates we've seen the last couple years.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
Maybe in practice Gracie in her peak was "one of the absolute best in the world" but in competitions especially on the international scene, she rarely lived up to the potential that people saw in practice

But at the end of the day it's not particularly relevant at this point if Gracie "at her peak" was 1 of the best in the world when she is far removed from that point based on the competition skates we've seen the last couple years.
I wouldn’t say she rarely lived up to her potential. She’s done multiple good short programs and free skates, just they were never in the same competition. Also, I was just responding to a comment. Didn’t mean to get off topic, just wanted put in my two cents. Now back to 2020, if Gracie skates well at the virtual sectionals, I do hope she gets to go to nationals.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
It also comes down to the Program itself. I still think Bradie Tennel has great potential to regain her Title this year. With Alysa struggling and Mariah not having the strong programs like she did last season, I can see Bradie as the Champion.
I hope Bradie regains her title as well. I’m not as sold on her short yet but her free is pretty nice.

macy

Record Breaker
She is struggling since 2 years! Remember exactly 2 years ago her infamous cup of russia disaster. It seems to be an endless struggle. If she gives a good performance at sectionals with some real technical content, I am totally fine if she goes to nationals. But two triples landed its just not enough. Better give the place to a younger motivated skater
yeah, so? as someone who quit and came back to the sport a year later, i understand how hard of a task it is. what Gracie is doing is a very, very tall order. it's one thing to literally grow up as a child in the sport because you train every day. it's just what you do, it's your life. you don't know anything different and you are used to it. your body is always in the best shape of it's life. you have the muscles in your legs, you know how your blades feel beneath you. you know what it feels like to do long program double run throughs.

to completely stop, lose all of that and go the other way and then try to go back is so, so hard. she not only had to lose weight, but once she was there, she had to get back in figure skating shape which is a whole other ballgame. you are not as resilient as you were as a teenager. your body changes to look more like a woman and you realize you can't skate the same way you did before. your muscle memory has gone. you have to relearn every single part about your skating and you are reminded of just how impossibly fit you were back then. you forget how to compete. everything is so much harder.

gracie also had to take a couple months off with covid. as someone who is still trying to regain form, i can tell you this affected her more severely than everyone else. i think she is struggling with stamina and learning how to control competition nerves, and with things closed down as they have been, no events, no opportunities to practice competing is only working against her.

i can't imagine trying to come back to an elite level after being as mentally unhealthy as she was. the fact she is landing triple triples in practice is such a big accomplishment. i don't understand why people are expecting her to bounce back like she's 15. the girl has been through some s***, give her a break. appreciate how far she has come. she didn't start at zero, she started at -10. to make it back as far as she has at this point is amazing.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
yeah, so? as someone who quit and came back to the sport a year later, i understand how hard of a task it is. what Gracie is doing is a very, very tall order. it's one thing to literally grow up as a child in the sport because you train every day. it's just what you do, it's your life. you don't know anything different and you are used to it. your body is always in the best shape of it's life. you have the muscles in your legs, you know how your blades feel beneath you. you know what it feels like to do long program double run throughs.

to completely stop, lose all of that and go the other way and then try to go back is so, so hard. she not only had to lose weight, but once she was there, she had to get back in figure skating shape which is a whole other ballgame. you are not as resilient as you were as a teenager. your body changes to look more like a woman and you realize you can't skate the same way you did before. your muscle memory has gone. you have to relearn every single part about your skating and you are reminded of just how impossibly fit you were back then. you forget how to compete. everything is so much harder.

gracie also had to take a couple months off with covid. as someone who is still trying to regain form, i can tell you this affected her more severely than everyone else. i think she is struggling with stamina and learning how to control competition nerves, and with things closed down as they have been, no events, no opportunities to practice competing is only working against her.

i can't imagine trying to come back to an elite level after being as mentally unhealthy as she was. the fact she is landing triple triples in practice is such a big accomplishment. i don't understand why people are expecting her to bounce back like she's 15. the girl has been through some s***, give her a break. appreciate how far she has come. she didn't start at zero, she started at -10. to make it back as far as she has at this point is amazing.
I don't understand at all, but I can imagine how difficult it has got to be to go from being #4 in the World to having to compete at Regionals. And at Sectionals. (And to the OP, no one "gave" her those bronze medals. She earned them. No one should "give" medals/placements at Regionals/Sectionals based on age or one's perception of how motivated a skater is. I can't imagine a more motivated skater than Gracie, are you kidding me?)

Gracie is my inspiration. She is an Olympic team bronze medalist and multiple National champion. She could easily have started and continued a coaching career without ever having competed again. But she obviously wanted to compete.

I didn't know she had had Covid.. I feel so bad for her.

Gracie is my star, and every time I have seen her skate, no matter how many days I have had to drive to get there or how far up in the nosebleeds I have had to sit it has been my privilege to see her skate. At Worlds in Boston. At Nationals in Kansas City. And best of all at Nationals in Greensboro, where I got to give her roses and tell her she was everything, first place or last place she is still everything. And she always will be.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Gracie has had to overcome so much, and none of us know what that's like. For me, I'm happy to see her out there fighting and trying to exceed everyone's expectations for her.

It was interesting watching another technically strong skater today, Sasha Trusova at Rostelecom. She went for a 3A, flubbed the take-off and looked like she wanted to pop it, but her instincts were to fight and try to get the jump rotated. I think that fight is the biggest thing missing for Gracie now, and where the years of lost competition makes her doubt herself in pressure situations.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... gracie also had to take a couple months off with covid. ...

... I didn't know she had had Covid.. ...

Wait ... I feel uncertain as to what macy's post was saying???

macy, did you mean that Gracie was off ice for a couple of months because of pandemic restrictions on rinks?

Or did you truly mean that Gracie herself was ill with COVID?
(If so, for me too, it would be the first that I am hearing of it. But I am no expert on Gracie -- I do not attempt to keep up with all of her interviews or every bit of content related to her.)

Re Virtual Aerial Challenge:

Maryn Pierce, Paige Rydberg, Bradie Tennell, Amber Glenn, Isabeau Levito, and Pooja Kalyan (listed in skate order) competed in the Elite International Ladies category. The "viewing party" that was streamed last night shows not only the jumps but also the feedback comments from the judges (Carol Heiss, Audrey Weisiger, Frank Carroll, Brian Boitano, Scott Hamilton).

I liked that each skater had a chance to speak briefly to introduce herself. (Or himself -- Elite International Men are covered in the same viewing party.) Seemed that they received suggested questions that they could answer if they wanted to.​
A serious moment came from Amber, who once again was relatable and inspiring as she talked about mental health.​
I was sad to learn of the passing of Isabeau's father. She is just so very young to have lost a parent. :( (Lest anyone wonder: She did not go into any detail as to how long ago he died or what the cause was.)
Rounds 1 & 2 of Elite International Ladies start at approx. 38:30 at link above.​
Round 3 of Elite International Ladies starts at approx. 1:47:37.​
Graphics showing Virtual Aerial Challenge results are here (for Rounds 1 & 2; for Round 3; and for Total Event):

(Side note that per the viewing party, Nathan won the bonus prize money for highest jump of all of the elite international skaters -- and Pooja had the highest jump among the ladies.)​

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
sorry if i wasn't clear, i wasn't saying Gracie missed ice time due to having covid, i meant she missed time due to everything being closed for quarantine back in the spring. ice rinks in the US were probably closed an average of 2-3 months i'd say.

natsulian

Final Flight
Mia Kalin also posted her Free Skate for the USFS Championship Series in the Junior division. Her Free is to "Light of the Seven" by Ramin Djawadi / Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and features seven triples including two triple-triples. Mia, on her Instagram questionnaire, said that she hopes to put her 4T, 4S, or 3A into her layout by US Nationals.

Link: https://youtu.be/eBTk-CNSXbk

Steinbeck

Rinkside
Mia Kalin also posted her Free Skate for the USFS Championship Series in the Junior division. Her Free is to "Light of the Seven" by Ramin Djawadi / Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and features seven triples including two triple-triples. Mia, on her Instagram questionnaire, said that she hopes to put her 4T, 4S, or 3A into her layout by US Nationals.

Link: https://youtu.be/eBTk-CNSXbk

Natsulian: PLEASE be careful with the accuracy of what you post. It is clear that the video they posted on YouTube is Mia's REHEARSAL video.

Also, Mia did not post anything on Instagram saying ANYTHING about 2021 Nationals. As a Bay Area adult skater who has and continues to watch Mia grow up on the ice, I follow Mia's instragram very closely — and other adult skaters I know follow Mia's instgram closely as well — and the only thing Mia posted was a "story" showing the 4T and saying she was excited that it was "almost there."

This is how rumors and false hype get started.