2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating

dancelion21

On the Ice
I see Alysa as an outside shot for the podium. If anything, 1/2 as Mariah/Bradie are the favorites, while 3/4 can go to any two of Audrey/Karen/Amber/Alysa/anyone else who is clean. While Alysa was clean and consistent in the past with triples, she's a much larger wild card now. Karen has the highest PCS of anyone outside the top two (and should have higher PCS than the top two as well, but we know consistency is king when it comes to PCS), but she's quite prone to popping and underrotations. Amber has a triple axel, but she's also inconsistent with the standard triples. Audrey has been remarkably consistent at the ISP, Skate America, the Vegas Invitational, basically everything, but she wouldn't beat any of the more senior ladies if they went clean, so it's hard to predict.

MintGreen

On the Ice
She’s posted some clips of her skating on Instagram and even posted a sneak peek of her new short this summer, so I’m also really surprised she didn’t compete. Her FS at 2019 nationals was my favorite of the entire event, but it’s really sad to think that that’s one of the last times we saw her and it was almost two years ago. She was really looking like a threat to the seniors once she moved up back then :(
I too was so surprised to find out that Ting wasn't on the nationals entry list. The last update on her instagram was two months ago showing her practicing on ice. Now it seems she will miss another season. That is so sad. She was so promising two seasons ago.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
How is Amber looking this season? She was really a break out for me last year.
I really like her skating and her programs this year are nice! Her main problem is putting together two clean skates (mostly the free skate is the problem). In terms of short programs from the past few years, she actually hasn’t done that bad, domestically and internationally (imo she should’ve been 3rd after the short at nationals for the past two years). But, as much as I like her skating... I can’t recall if I’ve EVER seen a clean free from her, so I’m not sure when we’ll see two clean skates back to back😬

I wonder if she’ll do the 3A at nationals? (she’s been posting them on Instagram pretty consistently for the past few months—in fact, at this point I’ll be surprised if she doesn’t try it:ROFLMAO:).

Skatefan15

On the Ice
The two skaters I’m really rooting for next week are Gracie and Alysa:hap10: I would love to see both of their 3Lz+3T’s (as well as the other triples as well). I wonder how the judges would score a clean Gracie? They probably won’t give her high PCS but man, when her jumps are hit, she deserves the highest GOE of all US ladies.
For Alysa, this has been a hard year on her so I really hope she can put together skates she can be proud of (It would be really cool if she won again— but that most likely won’t happen because the judges will inflate others’ PCS again:slink:) I’m also interested to see how she’s developed on her PCS (and if they have improved I hope the scores show it —even without the hard jumps).

edit: looking forward to Starr as well! Really hoping she skates clean!

Last edited:

dancelion21

On the Ice

Article from Phil Hersh which says many of the same things about Alysa's challenges as she's been growing and going through coaching changes. They mentioned in the article that she injured her hip while attempting a triple axel in the practice for the Vegas Invitational, which is why she watered down the content at Vegas. This explains why there was a sudden drop-off between the ISP Challenge, where she was landing triples and attempted the triple axel, and the Vegas Invitational and the SkAm Gala, where she was pretty much only doing doubles.

The injury she got stopped her from practicing jumps for a month, so she solely focused on her skating skills. She began reworking her triple axel last week and hopes to get back to work on quads after US Nationals.

natsulian

Final Flight
I love Alysa's perspective and outlook. She's learning, growing, and adapting. Despite what this young lady has gone through from the highs of two consecutive titles to the pains of growing and incurring injuries, she kept a positive attitude and moved on. That is a rare quality I find to be commendable beyond measure. Kudos to her.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
Even without a 3A or quad, Alysa can still have a good placement. A clean 3 triple SP followed by a clean 7 triple LP is a rare feat for the US ladies (especially beyond the top 2 senior women), so if she can pull off that kind of content she will do well.
I agree! Even though she doesn’t have the Ultra-C elements (as of right now) doesn’t mean she’s going to do awful at nationals. If she lands all her triples she should be 3rd or higher depending on what the other two do (and they aren’t exactly known for clean skates... so it’s really up in the air at this point).

mrrice

Record Breaker

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I see Alysa as an outside shot for the podium. If anything, 1/2 as Mariah/Bradie are the favorites, while 3/4 can go to any two of Audrey/Karen/Amber/Alysa/anyone else who is clean. While Alysa was clean and consistent in the past with triples, she's a much larger wild card now. Karen has the highest PCS of anyone outside the top two (and should have higher PCS than the top two as well, but we know consistency is king when it comes to PCS), but she's quite prone to popping and underrotations. Amber has a triple axel, but she's also inconsistent with the standard triples. Audrey has been remarkably consistent at the ISP, Skate America, the Vegas Invitational, basically everything, but she wouldn't beat any of the more senior ladies if they went clean, so it's hard to predict.
I agree with this assessment. Alyssa may regain her triple axel and quads next year. I do think Mariah has the best chance if on - she has the complete package. Bradie has lost some consistency but it is hard with so few competitions. She reminds me of Rachel flatt or Kimmie Meissner good skaters but they just don't excite. If Chen puts it together she has it all - spins,jumps and maybe the best artistry. But she isprone to under rotations and issues. The 3 American A's are kind of a wild card.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I agree with this assessment. Alyssa may regain her triple axel and quads next year. I do think Mariah has the best chance if on - she has the complete package. Bradie has lost some consistency but it is hard with so few competitions. She reminds me of Rachel flatt or Kimmie Meissner good skaters but they just don't excite. If Chen puts it together she has it all - spins,jumps and maybe the best artistry. But she isprone to under rotations and issues. The 3 American A's are kind of a wild card.
Now that you mention it, Karen probably has a good chance to podium at Nationals. She really isn't a skater who needs momentum from a sequence of good performances to skate well; her strong results tend to come out of nowhere. For that reason, Karen might be less impacted from the lack of competitions this season than her peers.

Feline Feeder

Rinkside
Do you think Alysa will be competitive again? It's enough hard on the fans when the star who is just "a year or two away" from making the US competitive again doesn't live up to the hype. It's devastating to the skater, as we've seen with poor Gracie. I'm glad she has a good attitude at least, but what a shame.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Do you think Alysa will be competitive again? It's enough hard on the fans when the star who is just "a year or two away" from making the US competitive again doesn't live up to the hype. It's devastating to the skater, as we've seen with poor Gracie. I'm glad she has a good attitude at least, but what a shame.
Alysa will be competitive again and she will probably be competitive at this nationals. I mean the podium is possible even without her big jumps. Let's let her get through puberty in the next year or so and see where she's at.

And there have been issues for her with the pandemic and a loss of training and every skater is hurt by that. That's why I cut everybody slack this season. It's not much of a season.

macy

Record Breaker
Alysa did really well last night, proving she is definitely still competitive for an olympic spot. the free tonight will give us a better idea of where she's at, but i was pleasantly surprised with her. the jumps are still there and she made noticeable improvements in speed, skating skills and interpretation. she was visibly in character, although i wasn't a fan of the program.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Bradie is in the same position as last year. Leading after the short. I am really rooting for her to have a solid free program even if she doesn't win the gold. I just really want her to make the Olympic Team. :cheer2:

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
Bradie is the same position the same position as last year. Leading after the short. I am really rooting for her to have a solid free program even if she doesn't win the gold. I just really want her to make the Olympic Team. :cheer2:
i think she has a pretty good chance of winning, it will likely be between her and Alysa. it would be pretty cool for Alysa to win 3 straight, i think that would be the first time done since MK. i think the gap between Mariah and Bradie is too much for her to make up.