2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 58 | Golden Skate

2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating

readernick

Medalist
Watching the Russian Novice girls a few days ago-the speed into jumps is the difference between the US young skaters and the Russian girls. There were some painful and spectacular falls from the Russian Novice girls, but I notice most of them go into their jumps at full throttle. (In the US I would say that Kanon has the same qualities)
Yes, definitely. Japanese and Russian skaters approach jumps with much more speed. The Japanese girls because of their wonderful SS, and the Russian girls are just used to competition and have to be the best from a young age to succeed. However, due to differences in the level of competition and expectations for when skaters will peak in the USA, I think that Isabeau has time to improve in this regard. Alysa is getting better at entering her jumps with more speed. Isabeau is only 13. She isn't a lost cause.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Liu was impressive despite al lher growth spurt and all and Iabeau is young. There is definitely a lot of hope for the future and olympics. I do wonder though is a year enough time to get the vaccine out for the pandemic or will they cancel Beijing, delay it or modify it.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Liu was impressive despite al lher growth spurt and all and Iabeau is young. There is definitely a lot of hope for the future and olympics. I do wonder though is a year enough time to get the vaccine out for the pandemic or will they cancel Beijing, delay it or modify it.
There's been a lot of chatter about Tokyo and whether it will be held or not. My understanding is that if they delay it again they will delay Bejing by a year as well, but who really knows?

Dawn825

Medalist
I think it's more likely they'll just cancel Tokyo, which would be really really sad for the athletes. But if they postpone Beijing, it would really shake up skating. Are there any notable skaters a year behind Valieva who would be thrown into the mix? Even if not (I'd guess they're probably 2 years behind), the quad game is likely to look very different in 2 years among the current seniors..

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Maybe Gracie can show angst, pain and use it for dramatic effect? I agrree right now I do not want to watch Gracie; it is too painful. I don't see or feel any joy It is the life is sucked out of her. Not even nice new costumes can hide; the heart, the passion is gone. It is really painful to watch.
It is. She's always seemed like a nervous performer, and even at her peak you usually saw her programs get more lively only after she completed the technical elements. If she doesn't get those jumps landed, her programs just kind of flatline because her disappointment comes off in her performance.

R.D.

Record Breaker
looks like Gracie has dealt with overtraining, boot issues and injury this year. she is committed to another season.

Ouch...

Anyway, as I mentioned before, the pieces are in place for her, I think...it's just about whether she can put them together, and how much time is necessary for her to do so. Easier said than done, of course, especially given her legacy issues with consistency. At the end of the day, what will be, will be.

Ultimately it will come down to how much satisfaction she gains from this whole process.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Steinbeck

Rinkside
You'd think they would include Karen since she was picked for the world team.

You have to wonder why on earth they wouldn't post them all. Isn't the idea to generate interest in figure skating? They make everything so inaccessible that it does the absolute opposite of promoting (I guess that would be demoting).

Even if Karen hadn't been picked, she does have some following, and isn't that reason enough?

withwings

On the Ice

DougDorsey

On the Ice
Does anyone have links to higher quality video (and photos) of the U.S. Nationals awards ceremonies for 2018/2019 and 2019/2020?

I'm looking in particular for the moments when Bradie and Mariah help Alysa onto the podium, but footage of the ceremonies in their entirely would be great, too.

My initial searches so far have turned up fan footage taken from the stands, but nothing more.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Does anyone have links to higher quality video (and photos) of the U.S. Nationals awards ceremonies for 2018/2019 and 2019/2020?

I'm looking in particular for the moments when Bradie and Mariah help Alysa onto the podium, but footage of the ceremonies in their entirely would be great, too. ...

There are copyrighted professional photos of Bradie and Mariah helping Alysa onto the Nats podium in 2019 and 2020, if they are (in part) what you are looking for.

Based on your posts here and in Alysa's fan thread, sounds as if you are working on some kind of Alysa-centric project?
(ETA:
Maybe several different skater-centric projects? I now see that your recent queries are not only about Alysa.)​

If you plan to republish copyrighted photos, obtaining permissions and paying any fees would be required.

Last edited:

DougDorsey

On the Ice
There are copyrighted professional photos of Bradie and Mariah helping Alysa onto the Nats podium in 2019 and 2020, if they are (in part) what you are looking for.

Based on your posts here and in Alysa's fan thread, sounds as if you are working on some kind of Alysa-centric project?
(ETA:​
Maybe several different skater-centric projects? I now see that your recent queries are not only about Alysa.)​

If you plan to republish copyrighted photos, obtaining permissions and paying any fees would be required.

Hi! I'm just looking to have them in my archives, perhaps to use for future Instagram posts.

Do you happen to have links to the photos that exist? Curious to see them. The best photo I could find was this one from 2019, which was published in the WSJ...https://d.pr/i/nkZU0m.

As for videos, are there no professional videos of the awards ceremonies, whether public or behind a paywall?

macy

Record Breaker
Karen Chen shared in Polina Edmunds' podcast in December she is thinking about keeping her free program for next season. she said she has been working on a triple axel more consistently the last few months and wants to get it before retiring, although she didn't specify whether that meant doing it in practice or competing it.

mrrice

Record Breaker
You have to wonder why on earth they wouldn't post them all. Isn't the idea to generate interest in figure skating? They make everything so inaccessible that it does the absolute opposite of promoting (I guess that would be demoting).

Even if Karen hadn't been picked, she does have some following, and isn't that reason enough?

I agree 100%. I consider myself to be fairly savvy about finding skating any way that I can. You would think the ISU would send a link to a site like this one. I would gladly pay for a "Reliable" link. I'd like to see SP's of the top 12 and FP from the final flight.

Last edited:

spiralsnowflake

Rinkside
Amber Glenn was on Polina Edmunds's podcast this week! Talking about her experience at this past Nationals and the triple axel. Here's the link: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/amber-glenn/id1525495252?i=1000507459573

Theres also a watchable video on youtube of the interview: