2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 59 | Golden Skate

2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating

b-man

Final Flight
Listened to Polina's podcast on Ting, Ting had two ankle injuries, torn ligaments each time, and may have mentioned a fracture as well, Is taking a gap year from school, trying to decide where to attend college, which will affect permanent coaching decision. Says she needs a technical jump coach. Currently working with Wiley at Lake Placid. Has all triples back, but not consistently and not in combination yet. Had dreams of '22 Olympics, but knows she is behind now and taking things day by day and trying to enjoy each moment. She does intend to compete in fall this year. I saw her in person at San Jose Nationals and Detroit Nationals as a first yr senior. She has so much potential, winning a bronze at junior worlds, so I'm wishing the best for her after two major setbacks.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Listened to Polina's podcast on Ting, Ting had two ankle injuries, torn ligaments each time, and may have mentioned a fracture as well, Is taking a gap year from school, trying to decide where to attend college, which will affect permanent coaching decision. Says she needs a technical jump coach. Currently working with Wiley at Lake Placid. Has all triples back, but not consistently and not in combination yet. Had dreams of '22 Olympics, but knows she is behind now and taking things day by day and trying to enjoy each moment. She does intend to compete in fall this year. I saw her in person at San Jose Nationals and Detroit Nationals as a first yr senior. She has so much potential, winning a bronze at junior worlds, so I'm wishing the best for her after two major setbacks.
The thing is almost everyone has had a lost year this season. If only she hadn't gotten injured she had a great chance to challenge for a Olympic spot because except for Bradie no one else had stood out over the last few years. At her best she was better then Glenn and could beat Karen too.

macy

Record Breaker
i thought she was with Tom Z?

b-man

Final Flight
i thought she was with Tom Z?
She mentioned moving from a former Olympic champ ice dancer, Russian I think, whose name I forgot, and currently training with Paul Wylie at Lake Placid. After deciding on a university, she will likely move to a coach close to the school she selects. I didn't hear her mention Tom Z.

Smith16

Rinkside
The Skating Lesson has uploaded all 6 episodes of Ice Diaries. For those unaware Ice Diaries was a documentary TV series on the TLC network that follows four up-and-coming American figure skaters through the 2005/2006 Olympic season as each tries to make the 2006 Olympic team. The four skaters are Beatrisa "Bebe" Liang, Alissa Czisny, Danielle Kahle, and Sandra Rucker. Rucker did not make it out of Regionals, the first step for qualifying for the United States Figure Skating Championships. What a trip down memory lane! Alissa was such a beautiful skater. I also think it would be interesting if they were to make a documentary similar to this now with some of the current American ladies.

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
The Skating Lesson has uploaded all 6 episodes of Ice Diaries. For those unaware Ice Diaries was a documentary TV series on the TLC network that follows four up-and-coming American figure skaters through the 2005/2006 Olympic season as each tries to make the 2006 Olympic team. The four skaters are Beatrisa "Bebe" Liang, Alissa Czisny, Danielle Kahle, and Sandra Rucker. Rucker did not make it out of Regionals, the first step for qualifying for the United States Figure Skating Championships. What a trip down memory lane! Alissa was such a beautiful skater. I also think it would be interesting if they were to make a documentary similar to this now with some of the current American ladies.

thanks for sharing, i've always wanted to watch this series but couldn't find it anywhere!

tosca

On the Ice
For those wondering about Ting Cui, she's featured on Polina's podcast that just dropped today.
http://wavve.link/polinapodcast/
This was an excellent interview. I love how frank Ting was, even talking about seeking help to deal with depression from the injuries.

I really hope she comes back stronger, I remember seeing her on her first season of the JGP and seeing what a wonderful talent she was. She really is the full package, from artistry to jumps. Strongest lady in years IMO.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The thing is almost everyone has had a lost year this season. If only she hadn't gotten injured she had a great chance to challenge for a Olympic spot because except for Bradie no one else had stood out over the last few years. At her best she was better then Glenn and could beat Karen too.
I am happy to hear this update on Ting. Although she lost a lot of time, she may not have lost as much ground as she could have since other skaters were sidelined by the pandemic this year. I am excited to see the results of her work with Paul Wylie.

macy

Record Breaker
Does Mariah have an event coming up? Is she an alternate for Worlds?
i think she's 2nd or 3rd alternate, i don't think she has another event coming up. it would be wise to start getting next seasons programs underway.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Starr andrews was awarded $50,000 as part of a grant or a fund or something. She said it'll help with the cost of the sport and everything that goes with it like ballet training. How I hope she'll go see a jump coach and a new choreographer. Its probably possible right? Considering $50,000 is about the yearly fee of a figure skater?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Starr andrews was awarded $50,000 as part of a grant or a fund or something. ...

Starr's award is from the new MABEL FAIRBANKS Skatingly Yours Fund!!
(And from sponsor Guaranteed Rate, which matched the amount that Starr received from the Mabel Fairbanks Skatingly Yours Fund.)

It is a big deal that a fund has been established to honor Mabel Fairbanks.
She deserves to be remembered by name.

Last edited:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
i think if both of them throw down solid skates there's a good chance they'll get 3 spots back. it would be so sad to have one girl's dream snatched away next year. i couldn't imagine being in that 3rd spot with a 2 person team.
It's a lot of pressure of both of them to get it done. I feel like Bradie is up to it but I really do worry about Karen. Bradie has been solid even during this pandemic; Karen is capable of scoring very well but she's also capable of bombing pretty badly. Hopefully both will be able to put up a good fight and get that magic number we need.