2020 Japan Open | Golden Skate

2020 Japan Open

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Per ISU website, the Japan Open 2020 was originally planned as an Open International Competition (as per ISU Communication 2171), but due to the COVID-19 situation, will be held as a domestic event.

Last edited:

sakurano

Final Flight
I read on Twitter that Mariah and Nathan are going to compete virtually, I'm a little disappointed even though I really like these skaters and normally it's an international competition, it was an opportunity for Japan to showcase their skaters.

And also I can't decide if I'm for the red or blue team even if my heart goes to Sota, Wakaba, yuhana but I also like Marin skating so it's hard to choose XD.

sheetz

Record Breaker
My understanding is that Mariah and Nathan will be guest skaters, but not competing. Last year Lambiel, Oda, and Davis/White were guest skaters, so this is normal.

Last edited:

icetug

Medalist
My understanding is that Mariah and Nathan will be guest skaters, but not competing. Last year Lambiel, Oda, and Davis/White were guest skaters, so this is normal.
There are two associated events: Japan Open and Carnival on Ice. The skaters you mentioned took part in CoI last year. But I also understood that Nathan and Mariah would be guest skaters. If they are going to take part (virtually) in JO competition, they need a team - 3 more skaters. Surely I can imagine that, let's say, Mishin skaters (Tuktamysheva, Kolyada, Lazukin) are invited to the team and they could compete together against Blue and Red Japanese teams :) We'll see very soon.

sheetz

Record Breaker
There are two associated events: Japan Open and Carnival on Ice. The skaters you mentioned took part in CoI last year.
They were guests for both JO and COI.

The year before the JO guests were Lambiel, Machida, and the Shibutanis.

Last edited:

sakurano

Final Flight
Je crois comprendre que Mariah et Nathan seront des patineurs invités, mais pas en compétition. L'année dernière, Lambiel, Oda et Davis / White étaient des patineurs invités, c'est donc normal.
Ok thanks for précision

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Is this a JO teaser? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i488BVSRdw&feature=youtu.be
I have no idea what they're saying but they seem to be having fun. :giggle:
@ sakurano, I sympathize with your dilemma on whom to support. Fortunately I don't have any such issue as Sota and Yuzuru are my biggest favorites of Team Japan, and Yuzuru is not here, so... :biggrin:

sakurano

Final Flight
Is this a JO teaser? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i488BVSRdw&feature=youtu.be
I have no idea what they're saying but they seem to be having fun. :giggle:
@ sakurano, I sympathize with your dilemma on whom to support. Fortunately I don't have any such issue as Sota and Yuzuru are my biggest favorites of Team Japan, and Yuzuru is not here, so... :biggrin:
that's what happens when you're a fan of Japanese skaters even if you only have one favorite another one appears ;)

They seem to be having fun from what I understand they have to choose the right color for their team in the yellow and green boxes.

Thanks to them I know how to say yellow in Japanese XD.

lady_bee

Medalist
Team Red : Tomoe, Mako, Hina, Takeshi, Ryujyu.
Team Blue : Wakaba, Yuhana, Hina, Sota, Mitsuaki.

icetug

Medalist
Let me leave here full names of skaters as I don't know everyone well enough to recognize by a first name only :)

Team Red: Tomoe Kawabata, Mako Yamashita, Chisato Uramatsu, Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda, Ryuju Hino
Team Blue: Wakaba Higuchi, Yuhana Yokoi, Hana Yoshida, Sota Yamamoto, Hiroaki Sato

lady_bee

Medalist
Thanks icetug, I was too lazy to check Lucas's spelling and how to read some skaters names. I didn't even know it was Hana not Hina.:palmf:

Walt FSHunter

Final Flight
Country
Ukraine
Last edited:

icetug

Medalist
So Team Blue won over Team Red, as expected, but only by 4 points and this is a surprise :) Good job, Mako and Lucas.
In this point of the season whoever makes less mistakes gets better result. I'm thrilled about Wakaba's 3A anyway.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Is there any live stream for this event?

Live streaming tickets were available and most fans may have decided to watch the event remotely to avoid travelling to Tokyo. There were just over 1,000 fans at the venue. The arena's capacity is 14,000, which was reduced to 7,000 due to Covid-19 restrictions. Other figure skating competitions do not allow spectators.

Last edited: