2020 NHK Trophy: Ladies' FS | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2020 NHK Trophy: Ladies' FS

readernick

Medalist
Just amazing! I really wanted Wakaba to win, but the podium here is fair. Wakaba landed an axel and Kaori was clean. The rising talent is Japanese ladies is immense.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
What a reaction from Kaori!!!

She is just the sort of person that you can't help but like.

Absolutely delighted for her.

Right, time for breakfast. No, interview time.

YouTube cut it off just as the pictures went to her, but Eurosport Player is still on air.

CaroLiza_fan

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Booo ISU stream cut off before the interview, I wanted the Japanese comprehension practice!

saturdaysun

On the Ice
I actually asked a few Japanese coaches about this a few weeks ago. They don’t do Eulers because they don’t find them graceful.
That's fascinating! I was just thinking wow the Japanese ladies are really upping the three-jump combo game with everyone doing the 3T-2T instead of the 2T-2Lo most other ladies do.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I just realize I have a few minutes delay (Peacock) so the PBPs probably aren't worth much ;) Perhaps someone else can take over for the Men?
No they're good :) You even included the GOE! Helpful!

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
The judging is still questionable but I'm too tired to hold onto it, I'm just glad that Young had a much better free. She's going to have to go through 2 weeks of quarantine and then do the Ranking Competition in a week, I can only hope she takes care of herself (sigh)

colormyworld240

Medalist
Beautiful 3A by Wakaba but again we see that a 3A/quad isn't everything. Kaori's TES was much higher without and her performance was gorgeous, that 3Lo out of the choreo sequence is magical. And she takes the PCS lead in the GPs so far, just ahead of Alena.

I don't think her being that ahead is that much of a scoring discrepancy. I only watched the top 6 but her elements weren't just clean, they were done with such high quality. All of her jumps were integrated into the music; they weren't just jumps they added to the choreography and elevated program. She had so many moments that just kept on building while everyone else was more one-note.

Last edited:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
153 for Kaori...
Now where are those who didn't believe that Kaori is such a fed fave and that Wakaba had a chance to beat her with a clean program that has 3A?
Add the points she lost for the pops + 3 points on pcs and she doesn't even come close to 150.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
153 for Kaori...
Now where are those who didn't believe that Kaori is such a fed fave and that Wakaba had a chance to beat her with a clean program that has 3A?
Add the points she lost for the pops + 3 points on pcs and she doesn't even come close to 150.
I like both of their skating, but it also comes down to GOEs which Kaori does have on Wakaba for most jumps. Wakaba should be overall closer than 30 points for sure, though.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's just a bit worrying to think the other Japanese ladies might get discouraged after seeing the scores today.

The placements are correct and that's good, but the scores should at least tell the story and they don't here :(

Still I want to congratulate Kaori! I hated the Matrix movie (I wanted to walk out, but was with friends) :laugh), but her program is just epic!

Congratulations to Wakaba too! I hope she isn't discouraged!

I wonder would she have won if she hadn't popped?