2020 NHK Trophy: Ladies' SP | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2020 NHK Trophy: Ladies' SP

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Oh, I lost count. I thought there was another skater to come after Sakamoto.

Satoko Miyahara is training in Toronto at the moment.

Ah! That's where I went wrong. I was assuming that Satoko was here.

And they saved the best till last! :biggrin:

That is a very decent lead for Kaori. The others have a lot of work to do in the FS if they want to catch her.

CaroLiza_fan

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Yay Sakamoto in the lead! Well she was lovely.

Lovely competition, the japanese judges were a bit harsh as usual, and I am not so sure that drinking a Whiskey was such a good idea entering this contest. But overall, nicely done Japanese (and Korean) ladies!!☝️☝️

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Sakamoto Kaori did great and she deserves first place (though I would've liked to see her loop instead of her lutz), but when you score only one person right it becomes questionable judging. But again, I am still very upset

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I honestly don't think it is too harsh. All the other skaters were superior in jump content, and most were superior in PCS. Reputation shouldn't lead to higher scores. In fact, her 29 PCS was generous in comparison to the other ladies here.

Oh, no. The scoring isn't harsh. That performance didn't deserve to score higher.

It is the position that seems harsh.

Just one more point would have put You Young into penultimate place. One of the favourites having a low score and being in penultimate place doesn't look as bad as one of the favourites having a low score and being in last place.

I know it doesn't make sense, but this is all psychological. And what happens in the FS will depend a lot on what mindset she takes. Does she take a defeated attitude, or does she come out fighting?

And just one position you are in can change your view of your chances completely.

Anyway, I'm supposed to be having my breakfast now.

CaroLiza_fan

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sakamoto Kaori did great and she deserves first place (though I would've liked to see her loop instead of her lutz), but when you score only one person right it becomes questionable judging. But again, I am still very upset
Yeah, I mean Kaori was amazing, but none of the other skaters were that awful, even with falls.

Odd situation indeed!

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Still confused at her decision to do 3Lz instead of 3Lo though. Yeah it's more difficult but the 3Lo is quite definitely her best jump and should get GOEs to reflect that.
I remember that Gabby Daleman scored higher on her 3T+3T than Bradie on her Lz-T at Worlds19, it really is advantageous to go for an easier layout, if it brings you a very good GOE, because it's the sum that matters. It worked for Gabrielle, since her 3T 3T is really big and impressive. Kaori has a very good Lo, and it can easily earn her +4 +5, ditching it for a Lz with an obvious edge problem, which might get dinged at any competition, seems like a questionable strategy to me.

Joekaz

On the Ice
She is. Japanese fed is clearly showing that she's the chosen one since a while already.
Absolutely agree. The judges are making it clear to Higuchi that she will have to hit 3 3As to overcome the inflated PCS and GOE they give Sakamoto. Does anybody here actually believe Sakamoto is better than Higuchi in the performance/Artistic aspects of PCS like the Judges seem too? Lol And I wont even mention the GOE discrepancy. What a joke.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
About Kaori's change of the SP layout: in the pre-competition interview she said it was the suggestion from the choreographer. Richaud lined her and suggested it's time to upgrade the layout.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Absolutely agree. The judges are making it clear to Higuchi that she will have to hit 3 3As to overcome the inflated PCS and GOE they give Sakamoto. Does anybody here actually believe Sakamoto is better than Higuchi in the performance/Artistic aspects of PCS like the Judges seem too? Lol And I wont even mention the GOE discrepancy. What a joke.
Exactly. Kaori got +9 GOEs, Wakaba got less than +2 overall....
With all level 4s, Kaori would have gotten 78 (she got three level3), Wakaba would have gotten 70 (she has one level3)....
Sorry but that's too much.

That means that with a clean 3A, Wakaba would have scored the same than Kaori (with slightly higher pcs) or even less.

And with 2A, probably 71-72....

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
Kaori is obviously a favorite with the judges. Which in Japan means that you will get the same score you would internationally. However, I do think the judges would likely have given Higuchi higher PCS if she landed her 3A. So, with a rotated 3A she would lead by several points.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Ah, a lovely chance to catch up on my favorite ladies. Alas, a couple of the ladies who I remember from last year didn’t do too hot, but that’s how it goes.

I missed Salamoto’s energetic music from last year, because the NHK selection was extra-mellow.

a terrible, terrible pity about You... I love that young lady.

so, 3A no dice...

and by today’s results my kid is heading for 1 cake in ladies