2020 NHK Trophy: Men's FS | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2020 NHK Trophy: Men's FS

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Thank you Yuma for saving the men’s event. A huge score, well deserved. It was very poor overall, lots of pops, falls and stumbles. I expected there to be a lot more depth in Japan. Nice to see Honda stay on the podium.

Cup of Russia was a much better event.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
His little clap,! 🥰

Holy Heck a 50 point win!! That's huge! Had anyone ever won by so much before?!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Yuma bringing it here today!

Is he wearing green pants 😂

The top is green too! It was just the lighting that made it look like he was wearing black.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! 🐔🍗

What else can you say? He was without doubt the class of the field.

CaroLiza_fan

AlimaAsh

On the Ice
I haven’t seen such a huge lead in a long while. A bit controversial but I think it’s the same as ladies where Yuma was great but Kazuki wasn’t 50 points behind him.

Edit: Yuma was obviously ahead of the field by a lot, more than Kaori, but 50 points still seems like a generous lead like with the ladies.

Last edited:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
At least Kagiyama was himself today.

I wanted him clean in both programs to see if judges would have given him scores close to 100 and 200.
Yuzu and shoma should be afraid. They definitely have competition for gold.

readernick

Medalist
Thank you Yuma for saving the men’s event. A huge score, well deserved. It was very poor overall, lots of pops, falls and stumbles. I expected there to be a lot more depth in Japan. Nice to see Honda stay on the podium.

Cup of Russia was a much better event.
I don't think. the issue is a lack of depth. It is a lack of consistency. But, I don't think any federation has consistent men's skaters. I would never underestimate Japan.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Truly a grown man's performance by Yuma!! :hap10: I cannot believe just how much his skating has matured since I was lucky enough to see him at JGP Richmond two years ago, all while retaining that baby face. Soon he'll be an adult :cry:

Cheers to Lucas and Kazuki as well.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I feel like the Japanese Olympic team will almost certainly be Yuzuru, Shoma and Yuma. Yuma is fabulous in every way. But, for some reason, I love Kazuki and , especially, Shun more....
His skating is cold...... It was more warm when he was in his 1st intl junior season.
I guess it's the success and age.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Yet again, the YouTube stream has cut out before the podium ceremony. :mad:

Still on air on the Eurosport Player.

Lucas has just been introduced while I was writing this.

CaroLiza_fan

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Congratulations to all the medallists!

I'm totally pressed that they cut off the Roxaaaaannne as Tomono got on the podium. Unacceptable! ;)

Reactions: Giu

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yuma's face is just like this emoji 😊

Nice trophy too!

Well see you guys tomorrow for the Gala, I hope?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I was so scared that Yuma was going to drop the trophy. :eek: And I think the guy presenting it to him was too!

So strange having a podium ceremony without the winner's anthem being played. Yes, I know You Young was the only non-Japanese skater taking part this year, but it's part of the formalities and tradition of a podium ceremony.

Right, I'm off now off to have dinner and then watch the Formula 1 qualifying. And I'll see you guys again first thing tomorrow morning for the Gala.

Oh, I really hope they give Daisuke Takahashi a second slot to do a Singles programme! It would be electric!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

lzxnl

Final Flight
Did anyone notice the planned 3Lz-3Lo by Yuma, which he unfortunately popped? Just imagine if he had landed that! How many men's skaters have managed to structure programs to not jump any doubles in their programs? Yuzuru has with his 4T-3A and Nathan Chen has by repeating 4T and 3T, but that's it. I've only seen Junhwan jump 3Lz-3Lo before in the men's field, and it really would have been special if he landed it. I never knew anyone else trained that.

Also, it's noteworthy that the second to fourth placed women would probably have scored very similarly to the men had the PCS been weighted the same, despite the differences in planned jump content. Goes to show just how unclean the men's event was.

readernick

Medalist
Did anyone notice the planned 3Lz-3Lo by Yuma, which he unfortunately popped? Just imagine if he had landed that! How many men's skaters have managed to structure programs to not jump any doubles in their programs? Yuzuru has with his 4T-3A and Nathan Chen has by repeating 4T and 3T, but that's it. I've only seen Junhwan jump 3Lz-3Lo before in the men's field, and it really would have been special if he landed it. I never knew anyone else trained that.

Also, it's noteworthy that the second to fourth placed women would probably have scored very similarly to the men had the PCS been weighted the same, despite the differences in planned jump content. Goes to show just how unclean the men's event was.
Petr Gummenik also does 3Lz3Lo. But, yes Yuma's jump layout is essentially perfect for scoring maximum points with three quads. Yes, the ladies were much stronger here as a group than the men. I love a lot of these men but it wasn't their day.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I love Tomono, but that’s figure skating... glad Sato climbed up with that skate, and lol, I almost expected Kagiyama to just lay on ice after the last jumping pass and take the rest of it off, ‘cause why... lol. I think the Japanese have their heir in him.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Just finished watching the archived stream (I was too tired to get up again and watch last night) and yeah, good on Yuma for delivering so strongly when almost entire the rest of the field faltered. Congratulations to Shun and Kao for climbing as high as they did though! But seriously, what's with all the invalid tacked on double salchows and 2a sequences? I swear somebody (Yuto Kishina?) did the same combo as Marin Honda...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Great costume for Chopin!

But he's skating too slowly for the tempo of the music.

Lovely spin at the end.

Wonder who the pianist was (@4everchan would no doubt know) - gorgeous music.
hehe.. i actually do not know.. Fantaisie Impromptu has been recorded by so many artists, and many sound similar... I would need many hours of listening to identify (perhaps wrongly LOL) someone here... Too common of a piece... and too common of an interpretation :)

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I like Yuma a lot, but I can't connect to the program, maybe because of the music. I wish he skated on Princess Mononoke as initially planned.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think Yuma Kagiyama neither projects well his energy outward to buoy the audience, nor looks so deeply inward that it invites the audience to go looking into his soul during his skate.

I don’t know how to explain it better, but that’s how I see different skaters.

Anyway, it is something that he will gain in time. Everything else is already there.