gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2020 NRW Autumn Trophy
Nov 26-29, 2020
Eissportzentrum Westfalen
Dortmund, GER

The NRW Trophy is an annual international figure skating competition organized by the Skating Union of North Rhine-Westphalia and since 2007, it has been sanctioned by the Deutsche Eislauf Union and the International Skating Union. It is held every autumn at Westfalenhallen in Dortmund, Germany. Medals are awarded in the disciplines of men's singles, ladies' singles, pair skating, and ice dancing. The competition is held in two parts. The Ice Dance Trophy is held for ice dancing levels pre-novice to senior in early November. The Figure Skating Trophy is held for singles and pairs skating levels novice to senior in late November or early December.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Only 4 pairs left and 7 dance couples. I'm continuing to keep my fingers crossed this event (with a Corona protocol obviously) will go forward!

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Honestly, it shouldn't. Germany's COVID numbers are terrifying, the ones from some of the countries sending skaters are even worse, and if they're not all telling people to avoid any unnecessary travel already, then they should start at once. It's beyond irresponsible at this point.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I expect no public will be allowed. I hope they stick to a bubble kind of thing. Makes it watchable from a live stream (which is going to be available) but prevents dangerous situations in relation to COVID. You may have noticed all the participants are from not too far away, even if they're from different countries. Yes, some have to cross a border but to be fair, within Europe not all borders say a lot about distance. For me for example it's closer to go to Dortmund than visiting my own parents (whom I haven't visited at all since lock down) within my country, so what does a border really mean in that context? It's more the distance, and the necessity to travel a long way that causes problems than just crossing a border. I mean, my parents go shopping in Northern Germany because that's a 5 minute drive away from where they live. Much closer than visiting me (three hour drive). So, I hope the Dutch Figure Skaters will be allowed to compete - of course with a protocol to prevent the pandemic from spreading.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Honestly, it shouldn't. Germany's COVID numbers are terrifying, the ones from some of the countries sending skaters are even worse, and if they're not all telling people to avoid any unnecessary travel already, then they should start at once. It's beyond irresponsible at this point.
Sorry Harriet, I don't agree with you. There are possibilities within a good bubble (like at Skate America). I hope it will take place, without spectators. The numbers are terrifying (I obviously agree on that), as are those in my country. See above for an argument in favour - and that does mean I understand why beloved Donovan Carillo is no longer on the list!

YoenNL

Rinkside
I expect no public will be allowed. I hope they stick to a bubble kind of thing. Makes it watchable from a live stream (which is going to be available) but prevents dangerous situations in relation to COVID. You may have noticed all the participants are from not too far away, even if they're from different countries. Yes, some have to cross a border but to be fair, within Europe not all borders say a lot about distance. For me for example it's closer to go to Dortmund than visiting my own parents (whom I haven't visited at all since lock down) within my country, so what does a border really mean in that context? It's more the distance, and the necessity to travel a long way that causes problems than just crossing a border. I mean, my parents go shopping in Northern Germany because that's a 5 minute drive away from where they live. Much closer than visiting me (three hour drive). So, I hope the Dutch Figure Skaters will be allowed to compete - of course with a protocol to prevent the pandemic from spreading.
The team is entered, everyone needs to take a COVID test prior (including team officials and judges). Unfortunately some withdrawals:
- Niki Wories, injury
- Jakucs/Galli, COVID
- Mikai van Ommeren, could not get out of Geneva

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The team is entered, everyone needs to take a COVID test prior (including team officials and judges). Unfortunately some withdrawals:
- Niki Wories, injury
- Jakucs/Galli, COVID
- Mikai van Ommeren, could not get out of Geneva
Thanks. I'll go and edit the post in the Dutch Figure Skating thread!

Walt FSHunter

Final Flight
Country
Ukraine
Are they crazy? It is really geoblocked. I checked the German blog on figure skating and got the same result. The streaming page says in German that the content is not available in your region. What about Germany? Is it available there? Who can inform?

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I have my VPN set to Germany. Works fine. :)
(actually I live about ten minutes from Germany, so I don't feel too bad about cheating with a VPN, lol)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The livestream seems to be geoblocked. The content is not available in my region.
Same with me...and it's just a 2h drive away. Don't get it. It all worked just fine with Nebelhorn which is a much greater distance away. Don't get the 'geo' thing here.

I think it's something else though even if it says on screen that it's not available in my region. Other livestreams of events in Germany, on the same site, work just fine. I can watch some kind of gymnastics competition for example.

Last edited:

LadyB

Record Breaker
Anyone has a link, please?

Even with my VPN set to Germany I cannot watch. I wanted to see the pairs!

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
So here's something... strange. On my six-year-old Apple laptop, with Firefox and chrome, the livestream plays fine with NordVPN set to Germany.
On my iPhone 12, the livestream says NO with NordVPN set to Germany, not with Safari, not with Firefox. :palmf:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
LOL great music choice for the Swedish twins: ’Hey Brother’ (Avicii :party2: )

Well they are in fourth place, but I’m glad they are still competing. I’ve been worried for them having Dalilah Sappenfield as their coach due to things she and TJ Nyman were accused of. I hope they are training somewhere else now. Perhaps in Sweden for the moment as they can compete here.

Anyone has a link, please?

Even with my VPN set to Germany I cannot watch. I wanted to see the pairs!

So here's something... strange. On my six-year-old Apple laptop, with Firefox and chrome, the livestream plays fine with NordVPN set to Germany.
On my iPhone 12, the livestream says NO with NordVPN set to Germany, not with Safari, not with Firefox. :palmf:
I watched on old Mac lap top + OS 10.9.5 + chrome + Hola. This doesn’t work for me on the ISU stream though. My experience is that I have to try different solutions for various blocks.