2020 Rostelecom Cup: Ladies' FS | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2020 Rostelecom Cup: Ladies' FS

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
They were and Liza probably should have won. (I can't tell because I'm kinda depressed by these results and ergo not objective right now lol). But do you really and honestly think she would have gotten 2 URs, a q AND PCS that weren't even two points higher than Liza's if she was still with Eteri? I don't.
I don't think so. The jumps looked suspicious to me, but I have to re-watch and check them.

The thing though, last year she was crystal clear with everything, we haven't seen that this year. Maybe it's COVID and lack of training, maybe the coach change. I don't know.

But as I said in the Rus Ladies thread before, I thought I saw a hint of sloppiness already at Euros with Kostornaia. Maybe it is because she is growing? We know that does a lot to the technique and timing.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
The URs were rightly called but there has been instances in the past were an Eteri skater would have URs (& edge calls) that weren’t called.
I remember last year with Kostornaia and I was watching her closely. She had her 3A < twice, and I think there was one competition (was it Euros?) that I thought she should have been called as well. But Euros are known for being lenient with tech.

I just don't buy this argument that her coach change is the source of the problem.

We all know that Kostornaia was highly overmarked at Stage Four, wasn't she?

Zora

On the Ice
So do I...this new program looks very generic to me. The music is lovely but just not feeling it. Aliona’s packaging also just looks tacky to me. Hate to say it because she is obviously a lovely girl and amazing skater, but they need to rethink her costume, hair, and maybe add more transitions or something to make the program special.
Such a weird choice considering it is choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne. Maybe they chose this generic kind of program, because it's easier to choreograph through video calls. She skates lovely, perfect posture and everything, therefore it kind of works, but she could skate to something more memorable. But to be fair, I also didn't like her SP last season.

I want to say this though: Trusova's TES and score being what it was is part of what I don't like about IJS. 4 falls should put you way down in the scoring and to me what she put out there should not have gotten the score it did. All those falls are distracting and take away from the performance and her PCS does not really reflect that.
Sometimes I wish they would just get zero points for a fall on an element. Quality before quantity.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Same :laugh: But i´m pretty sure Aliona got level 4 every single time last season :scratch2:
I think she got some level 3s (at Euros for example) but this happens easily if you miss a turn or so. It's not an issue usually. The problem with her step sequence in the FS here, however, is that it doesn't even look like it's choreographed to be level 4. She spends way too much time skating on two feet and there's not enough difficulty.
I don't think so. The jumps looked suspicious to me, but I have to re-watch and check them.
The jumps looked suspicious because they were. That's not the point. The point is, do you think that with the exact same performance, she would have gotten the exact same calls if she was still an Eteri skater? Because I sincerely doubt that. As well as her PCS not even being two points above Liza's. I'm not debating whether this is right, I'm debating, whether the judges would have allowed that to happen, had she stayed with her old coaching team.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I remember last year with Kostornaia and I was watching her closely. She had her 3A < twice, and I think there was one competition (was it Euros?) that I thought she should have been called as well. But Euros are known for being lenient with tech.

I just don't buy this argument that her coach change is the source of the problem.

We all know that Kostornaia was highly overmarked at Stage Four, wasn't she?
I think the problem with Kostornaya at this point of time may be lack of stamina as a product of not enough training process. Majority of her usual points were lost in the second half of the programme. That is far more reasonable explanation than to think that Eteri has something with the judging (or maybe her training methods have actually, but to be fair we all know Alona had injury problems this season and started to train later in the season)

Last edited:

Skatefan15

On the Ice
I think the problem with Kostornaya at this point of time may be lack of stamina as a product of not enough training process. Majority of her usual points were lost in the second half of the programme. That is far more reasonable explanation than to think that Eteri has something with judging (or maybe her training methods have actually :biggrin:)
I agree that is what Aliona’s problem is right now (she hasn’t competed often and the free skate could use some work). What I meant was on paper, the mistakes she made most likely would have been less severe had she had a different coach. But we can all have our different opinions.

Last edited:

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
What is the most interesting in protocols for me is the fact that with exception of Liza, only Eva Lotta Kiibus hasn't been called for any under rotation or a jump on quarter. Knowing that the tech pannel was all Russian, with the job of judging majority of their own 'best' skaters at this point of time, i would say - good job judges (y)

Artemisa

Final Flight
What is the most interesting in protocols for me is the fact that with exception of Liza, only Eva Lotta Kiibus hasn't been called for any under rotation or a jump on quarter. Knowing that the tech pannel was all Russian, with the job of judging majority of their own 'best' skaters at this point of time, i would say - good job judges (y)
I got the feeling that they wanted to tell the message know one is safe! .... except maybe for PCs

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Sasha had a bad day, but we all know what she can do. I'm more worried about Alena this season...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
A lot of people are talking about coaching change etc...forgive me if I am not cognizant enough but one would think that being with Plushenko would bring up scores as well... I don't know... .... for PCS being not so much higher than liza... if we compare to men, often, we have seen that the guys with 2 quads in the SP would have higher PCS than guys with only one quad or even zero quads.... and I am talking about clean programs all around... it happened at Boston worlds for instance.... Chan had the SP of his life and still was behind in PCS, when he used to be the PCS king... why? only 1 quad, at least that was the analysis... So.. in light of that, a program with two 3a would probably bring home a bit more PCS points right? Not saying I agree with that at all... but it seems to have been a given... big tricks boost PCS

Last edited: