2020 Rostelecom Cup: Pairs' SP | Golden Skate

2020 Rostelecom Cup: Pairs' SP

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
It was interesting, sometimes spectacular (Panfilova and Rylov especially), and on the whole a great event. Love the rivalry between Tamara's two excellent pairs. I also liked the togetherness of both two top pairs. Dmitrii always seems so supportive of Aleksandra, while Alexandr and Anastasia just spark in a very good way. Really looking forward to tomorrow. Anything can happen!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why weren't Tarasova and Morozov at this event? I've been AWOL from figure skating news.

I've always liked Mishina and Galliamov and loved many things about them, particularly the way that they perform. I also like how Galliamov usually says something about being happy that the audience enjoyed their performance. At the same time, they have completely transformed as a team between last year and this year. I can only attribute that to Tamara Moskvina. I think that what she does is genius, and she did it again with this pair: she looks at them, she sees what is good or extraordinary or merely unusual about a pair, and she brings it out more. Makes it more noticeable and more perfect. With this pair, it's their connection with the audience and love of performing. Plus, oh my goodness, I do love the lift they did in the SP today. That's really saying something for me, because I'm not usually fond of perpendicular lifts. Maybe theirs didn't scare me as much, I don't know.

I felt also that Boikova and Kozlovskii have progressed, even from how gorgeous they were all last year. They just keep working little by little, not just on perfecting the elements, but making the intangibles better and better. Their synchronicity is so beautiful to see, especially because I can see it progressing.

These two pairs showed charisma and musicality far beyond the rest of the competitors, in my opinion. And yes, tomorrow will be such an interesting event. Mostly I love seeing such variety, in fact such disparate qualities in the top 2 pairs. If we add Tarasova/Morozov, that's 3 Russian pairs, all of whom are completely different and all excellent.

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
Vladimir had the virus and T/M were off ice for three weeks. He’s still working on getting stamina back, and with the gp not really counting for anything this season, they decided to concentrate on the Russian Cup series and getting to nationals.

Last edited:

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Vladimir had the virus and T/M were off ice for three weeks. He’s still working on getting stamina back, and with the gp not really counting for anything thus season, they decided to concentrate on the Russian Cup series and getting to nationals.
I really wish B/K had done the same. The virus has clearly taken a toll on them and I wish they had allowed themselves more time to recover instead of rushing to compete so soon. But I guess the time Dmitri got it put them in a bad spot and didn't really give them much options if they wanted to make it to nationals

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vladimir had the virus and T/M were off ice for three weeks. He’s still working on getting stamina back, and with the gp not really counting for anything thus season, they decided to concentrate on the Russian Cup series and getting to nationals.
Thank you. I'll have to find videos of their performances in the series.