gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2020 Skate America
Orleans Arena
Oct. 23-24, 2020
Las Vegas, Nevada​

The ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series consists of six international senior invitational events and culminates with the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final. However, due to COVID-19, the Final has been postponed for this season and no World standing or ranking points will be awarded in the Grand Prix events.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and in strict accordance with the Nevada Gaming Control Board guidelines, there will be no spectators in attendance at 2020 Skate America.
Schedules are attached (.pdf)

Note: In light of the pandemic, the usual selection criteria do not apply for the 2020-21 Grand Prix season. The competitors will be invited according to the following principles:
  • The top 6 Skaters/Teams from the ISU Grand Prix List are given priority to be selected for a Grand Prix event provided they reside/train in one of the Grand Prix Member countries, or have no travel restrictions to travel to a Grand Prix Member country in the nearby area.
  • The top 7-12 Skaters (for Ladies and Men), Top 7-10 Couples (for Pair Skating and Ice Dance) from the Grand Prix List are given second priority to be selected for a Grand Prix.
  • The top 24 Season's best and World Standings Skaters/Couples for season 2019/20 (not included in the above) will have third priority for selection.
  • The remaining entries will be from Skaters/Teams in the top 75 season's best list from 2019/20 and up to two Skaters/Teams from the Organizing Grand Prix Member (off list).
  • If there are no available Skaters/Teams left in the top 75, the Organizing Grand Prix Member may invite any other Skater training in the Organizing Grand Prix Member's country.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ah, I see, no spectators will be allowed. That's sad for Las Vegas and the economy, and for sporting fans. But it is what it is. Safety first.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
you probably mean free, not behind some kind of paywall?

Isnt't worldwide streaming a pre-requisite for ISU events?

katymay

Medalist
Is there any streaming option for this?
If you join the peacock streaming network-which I think has a free week. It's actually not a bad streaming service-at least for those of us that are older. Lots of old HItchcock movies, Masterpiece theater stuff etc. I find more to watch on this service than on Netflix. I think it is 4.99 a month? (after the free trial)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wait, where's the info that's it's on peacock?
It's in this thread ;)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Does anybody know if the coloured Time Schedule been released yet? And, if so, where to find it.

I have been putting off posting all the Senior GP Predictions Game stuff until the schedule appeared on the ISU page for the event, as I wanted to include a definite start time for skating and, hence, calculate a deadline for making predictions. But, there are only 5 days to go until skating starts, and there is still no sign of it! :drama:

And I am now getting concerned, as the coloured Time Schedule is normally up there right from the start, long before the Provisional Entries Lists are populated. I thought that maybe the ISU were waiting until nearer the time to finalise the timetable, to see what restrictions might be in place. But, the Eurosport Player already has broadcast times for all segments.

It's not really fair on the players to put off opening predictions any longer. So, can anybody help?

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
For one-stop shopping, the always handy-dandy Competition Central page now is available:

(It's too early for all the hyperlinks to be in place yet, but I am happy to be patient as the page is updated in coming days.

Apparently one of the links to come is for the "Virtual Fan Experience" that USFS has been promoting.)

Addition to the TV schedule (all times Eastern):

Sunday, Nov. 1Las Vegas Skating Spectacular12 – 1:30 p.m.NBC

It replaces what would have been the Skate Canada International broadcast.

I hope that everyone stays safe and healthy. :pray: 😷

And of course, good luck to all.

On a lighter note, Anthony Ponomarenko's tweet today made me smile 😄:

Literally forgot how to pack

🧳

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The color-coded schedule (including practices) is one of the links added today to the Competition Central page on USFS Fan Zone.

The links for Event Program and Virtual Fan Experience also were added to Competition Central.

(For the record, the color-coded schedule has not been added to the ISU event page -- at least not yet.

And lest anyone wonder: As always, the color-coded schedule first and foremost is intended for all the people who are involved on site [such as skaters; coaches; officials; staff; media; in-arena spectators (if it were a normal year); etc.], so it naturally uses local time.
A secondary benefit is that some who are not on site also like to have the information in this format.)

ETA (on Oct 20):

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The color-coded schedule (including practices) is one of the links added today to the Competition Central page on USFS Fan Zone.

The links for Event Program and Virtual Fan Experience also were added to Competition Central.

(For the record, the color-coded schedule has not been added to the ISU event page -- at least not yet.

And lest anyone wonder: As always, the color-coded schedule first and foremost is intended for all the people who are involved on site [such as skaters; coaches; officials; staff; media; in-arena spectators (if it were a normal year); etc.], so it naturally uses local time.
A secondary benefit is that some who are not on site also like to have the information in this format.)
Thanks! It would be nice of them to put up the minute by minute daily schedule but I doubt they will.

Allikat

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Will it be possible to view this competition in the US using a VPN showing a foreign ISP? I'm leery of the Peacock Premium stream you can supposedly sign up for with a 'free' trial. If that's the only online way to view Skate America, I'll have to skip it and hope somebody puts up links later on YouTube, or some place else where they are free to view .

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
no doubt there will be illegal re-streams, check soyouwanttowatchfs.com

NBC actively hunts down copyright infringement on Youtube, so don't expect any links or clips to last.

Allikat

On the Ice
Country
United-States
no doubt there will be illegal re-streams, check soyouwanttowatchfs.com

NBC actively hunts down copyright infringement on Youtube, so don't expect any links or clips to last.
Thanks for the information--I'd forgotten about that soyouwanttowatchfs.com site. Oddly, I just can't remember how I've managed to watch nearly all the Grand Prix series in several years before. So much for 'getting older' and forgetting far too much useful info. And I don't have TV.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
yeah, TV has mostly become obsolete for watching 'lesser sports'

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Eurosport Player will be streaming this event, so you can pretty much be assured of streams-of-questionable-legality appearing on-line from that feed.

That said, I'm rather surprised the ISU haven't said anything yet about a stream of their own. It seems hard to believe Eurosport would actually *pay* for the rights to stream a series of GPs when they knew full well in advance there was a good chance some of the events would get cancelled due to covid-19.

Allikat

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Eurosport Player will be streaming this event, so you can pretty much be assured of streams-of-questionable-legality appearing on-line from that feed.

That said, I'm rather surprised the ISU haven't said anything yet about a stream of their own. It seems hard to believe Eurosport would actually *pay* for the rights to stream a series of GPs when they knew full well in advance there was a good chance some of the events would get cancelled due to covid-19.
The strange thing is, I can vaguely recall being able to see these events before by using the VPN in my Opera browser...it may have been over illegitimate channels from the Eurosport feed, but I could swear at times there were YouTube channels showing the programs, just not visible in the US--hence the necessary VPN. Wish I'd have taken notes at the time!

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I could swear at times there were YouTube channels showing the programs, just not visible in the US
Hence my comment about being surprised the ISU hasn't said anything yet. The ISU had their own livestreams on youtube last season, which were available to watch for free and region-free except for locations where the rights had been sold (think US, Japan, among others, and yes, some browsers / VPNs can circumvent that). Eurosport did *not* have the rights last year. So many people are surprised they appear to somehow have regained those rights, at least for Skate America.