2020 Skate America: General Info | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2020 Skate America: General Info

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Hence my comment about being surprised the ISU hasn't said anything yet. The ISU had their own livestreams on youtube last season, which were available to watch for free and region-free except for locations where the rights had been sold (think US, Japan, among others, and yes, some browsers / VPNs can circumvent that). Eurosport did *not* have the rights last year. So many people are surprised they appear to somehow have regained those rights, at least for Skate America.
Last year was great...

Allikat

On the Ice
Country
United-States
The ISU had their own livestreams on youtube last season, which were available to watch for free and region-free except for locations where the rights had been sold (think US, Japan, among others, and yes, some browsers / VPNs can circumvent that).
Yes! Good to know I didn't just 'dream' I'd had the ability to watch those ISU livestreams last year via a VPN. I tell myself 'it's not that big a deal if I can't watch this year; doesn't look like much of a season anyhow'. However, I feel very bad for the skaters who are losing their opportunities for world championship points, medals, etc.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Some pre-SkateAmerica video interviews are on Fan Zone.
The umbrella title is "Shaking the Rust Off" (and the interviewer is ... Rusty Kath).

Mariah and Bradie (10:00)

Timothy LeDuc, Danny O'Shea, and Brian Johnson (12:38)
(It's labelled as "Men," but "Pair Men" would have been more helpful.)
ETA (on Oct 22): Update: The label has been changed to "Pairs Men."​

Madison Hubbell, Kaitlin Hawayek, and Christina Carreira (14:31)​

Thanks! It would be nice of them to put up the minute by minute daily schedule but I doubt they will.

Do you mean the schedules with start times for each skater?
I will keep my fingers crossed.

ice coverage is an awesome person.....!

Thanks, Chris. :thank:
Your check is in the mail. :devil: ;)

I will miss comparing notes with you at the FOFS breakfast. :(

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Some pre-SkateAmerica video interviews are on Fan Zone.
The umbrella title is "Shaking the Rust Off" (and the interviewer is ... Rusty Kath).

(It's labelled as "Men," but "Pair Men" would have been more helpful.)​

Do you mean the schedules with start times for each skater?
I will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks, Chris. :thank:
Your check is in the mail. :devil: ;)

I will miss comparing notes with you at the FOFS breakfast. :(
I miss you too, my friend....we shall meet again!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hopefully someone will sneakily put a stream on YouTube. Cause idk about buying Peacock just for Skate America.
You can always do a seven day free trial and cancel! Get your five bucks back....I know there is a way to rig the browser "Opera" so it looks like your computer isnt in the US....but I am not that smart....I was going to be an astrophysics whiz and then I hit the 3rd grade and things went south from there....

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hopefully someone will sneakily put a stream on YouTube. Cause idk about buying Peacock just for Skate America.

Peacock is supposed to be streaming all figure skating events that are on tap this season, not just Skate America. This new season subscription set-up happened apparently partly due to the pandemic changing everything. Or else, they had plans to phase out NBCSportsGold for figure skating coverage all along. It's too soon to tell how the Peacock coverage will add up. We'll see how it goes. I'm not overly optimistic because even NBCGold did not provide all the event coverage we got on IceNetwork (aside from IN having crappy MLB technology and streaming glitches, which was greatly improved on NBCGold).

I wish there was more proactive thought processes going on in this sport altogether by those in charge, especially during these challenging times. I think the opportunity is ripe to re-think everything, including how competitions are developed and covered. The feds and the ISU should be actively brainstorming new solutions, instead of expecting that everything is going to 'return to normal' eventually. But sigh, it is the sport of figure skating led by antiquated thinkers for the most part with an overall Mom/Pop mentality and political infighting culture. The sport stays mired in status quo thinking, rather than being open to visionary leadership that prioritizes everyone working together for mutual good. The ISU should be sourcing fresh expertise and new ideas to benefit the skaters and fans, and to ensure the enduring growth of the sport.

ETA:
At least it's a good sign to see how hard U.S. fed worked to take the necessary precautions to still be able to hold Skate America in Las Vegas. But they also need to be thinking proactively and strategically for both the short-term and the long-term, with keeping in mind the possibility of things never going back to what we have been used to in how the sport is run. So, why not embrace this opportunity to look at everything and consider new ways of doing things that can benefit athletes and help push the sport forward!

Last edited:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
seems lots of virtual spectators are already in their seats, I've seen a few photos with their cutouts and prints.

xabia

On the Ice
Hence my comment about being surprised the ISU hasn't said anything yet. The ISU had their own livestreams on youtube last season, which were available to watch for free and region-free except for locations where the rights had been sold (think US, Japan, among others, and yes, some browsers / VPNs can circumvent that). Eurosport did *not* have the rights last year. So many people are surprised they appear to somehow have regained those rights, at least for Skate America.
Yes, I've just found out, much to my surprise, that Eurosport have returned. I've just checked the schedule for the UK and they're not showing the ladies short. I've succumbed to paying a subscription!

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
One option (and my plan) is to get the free 7-day trial for Peacock, cancel before they charge me, and then when Cup of China rolls around consider if I want to pay for it for a few months or just use the ISU stream and a VPN. I didn't mind paying for Sports Gold too much because I was lucky to be able to afford it and wanted to support figure skating in the US. Honestly, one advantage to Peacock is that it's a monthly subscription so I can cancel when there's no figure skating and renew when it's back.

Fireplace7890

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Similar question. I have Peacock premium which was supposed to include access to the practice cam but can’t find it on that site. I searched on Skate America but that returns replays of 2019 events.

Is anyone able to view the practice cam on Peacock premium? Ladies practice was scheduled to start about 30 minutes ago.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Similar question. I have Peacock premium which was supposed to include access to the practice cam but can’t find it on that site. I searched on Skate America but that returns replays of 2019 events.

Is anyone able to view the practice cam on Peacock premium? Ladies practice was scheduled to start about 30 minutes ago.
I love your Avatar.:)