2020 Skate America: Men's SP | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2020 Skate America: Men's SP

badknees

Medalist
The costume was fine. Skating of that quality doesn't need bedazzling.

This is the 4th time I've seen this program in competition (if you count JO) and it's the 4th different jump layout.

The takeaway isn't the costume, it's that the experimentation continues.
I don't need bedazzling but just something that fits well. The jacket looks like he ran to the thrift store the day before and grabbed something.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Feeling very, very happy that Bychenko is still competing and in such an enjoyable way!!! I have always liked his skating so much and he seems to have a very likeable personality, too.

Zhou was my favourite here and he gave a wonderful performance. Does he seem to have grown taller? Did not like Chen´s costume, but his skating was great.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did some calculations. If Malinin had fully rotated the 4S-3T and had a clean landing on that and the 3A plus levels 4s on everything else, he would have been in 5th place in the SP and 3rd in TES. If the spins and StSq stayed the same, he still would have gotten 4th in TES. If he can clean up his spins and have more work on his steps, he could end up as one of the top US men by 2026. He's only 15 so plenty of time.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did some calculations. If Malinin had fully rotated the 4S-3T and had a clean landing on that and the 3A plus levels 4s on everything else, he would have been in 5th place in the SP and 3rd in TES. If the spins and StSq stayed the same, he still would have gotten 4th in TES. If he can clean up his spins and have more work on his steps, he could end up as one of the top US men by 2026. He's only 15 so plenty of time.
There's plenty of cleaning up and maturing to do, but I agree.

He is a real talent. Will the result match the promise? We'll see, but massive improvements already since I first saw him on the Junior GP last season... and shoutout to @el henry for bringing him to my attention last year.

I especially like that he was given an unexpected chance at a big event, and he cashed in on that opportunity in the short program.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's plenty of cleaning up and maturing to do, but I agree.

He is a real talent. Will the result match the promise? We'll see, but massive improvements already since I first saw him on the Junior GP last season... and shoutout to @el henry for bringing him to my attention last year.

I especially like that he was given an unexpected chance at a big event, and he cashed in on that opportunity in the short program.
He's from the DMV like myself so of course, hometown pride. I definitely was excited to see his name added to the entries.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Are all these skaters pulling their own face mask from a pile of everyones

No. It looked like they were putting their masks in their little plastic box of stuff (drinkbottle/guards etc). At the end of their skates they were pulling the masks back out of their plastic box of stuff.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
random comments:

Joseph KANG: good boy, we need more Guns & Roses:rock:

Jimmy MA: note the best out there but fun :rock:

Daniel SAMOHIN,: watching him makes me sad, he's kind of a lost cause at this point

Alexei BYCHENKO: uncle By is still alive and kicking :LOL:

Tomoki HIWATASHI: he's a firecracker and deserves all the love you can give him

Last edited:

Rere

Rinkside
Country
Canada
If you guys want to watch a sexy, violent, funny movie Desperado is a good one. Watch the Spanish language one though.
awww thank you for the tip, ancientpeas! I did not even know there is a Spanish one, though! I remember I adored the movie, but watched in only once, and not even in English - and now I have an excellent reason to watch it again properly! So happy that Nathan did the Desperado program, now I am tenfold more a Chen fan than before this competition :love2:
and I actually love it when his shirt is untucked, but the mariachi costume does it for me, too! :LOL: