2020 Winter Star | Golden Skate

2020 Winter Star

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Interesting...there's quite a few Dutch skaters intending to come. One man (who should have competed at NRW but was ill), two ladies (one of which was injured at NRW) and an ID team (who also competed at NRW). I hope they all stay on the entry list there!

Andrea82

Medalist
Entry list held up well in the last few days.

Organizers managed to put up a panel of judges meeting the requirements for international competitions to have scores recognized for minimum TES. Barely because they have to rely on a national ATS in Pairs and one national judge in Dance but rulebook allows it in exceptional circumstances. Given the situation this year it is already quite an achievement.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
After the announcer gave the 1 minute warning, she accidentally left her microphone open, and we heard her chatting to some fella.

It's just a pity she wasn't speaking in a language that I understand. šŸ˜ž It might have been an interesting conversation...

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
When the music started for Ekaterina KUZNETSOVA / Oleksandr KOLOSOVSKYI, I could have sworn we were going to hear "Big Spender". But, we didn't.

It wasn't a bad start to the event.

And the stream has become Sofa Cam!!! We spent a good three minutes looking at an empty sofa. :rolleye:

Had to laugh at the announcer saying that they were "apparently in first position" when announcing the scores.

She is going to be fun today! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Elizaveta SHICHINA / Gordey KHUBULOV.

I feel so sorry for Khubulov. I HATE it whenever anybody calls me "Gordey". So, to have it as your actual proper name?! Poor fella!

Absolutely beautiful sky blue dress for Schichina.

At the start of the music, I was wondering "what on Earth are they skating to?!" But, it turned out to be a lot better than I thought.

Oh. Something's gone wrong with the sound. The announcer is no longer coming through clearly. She's now very distant and echoey. And I couldn't make out anything she was saying. And we don't have any live scoring either!!! So, I haven't a clue who is in the lead!!! :mad:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
First local skaters of the day with Daniela MOLCHAN / Artem ZAHARIN.

Daniela was wearing a dress very similar to the Russian girl on directly before her! :eek: Artem all in black.

"Top Lover" by Christina Aguleira.

Enjoyable skate.

Sound sorted for the announcer. But, she only announced their score, not their position. So, there might be technical problems with the scoring.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Back to Russia with Carolina PARSHINA / Akim STEPANENKO.

I wonder if Carolina is by any chance Belorussian. The reason I ask is that one of the girls that used to skate for Cyprus, Yelizaveta Parshina, is Belorussian. And her Mum, Tatiana Parshina, runs one of the skating clubs on the island. So, I am intrigued to know if Carolina might be related to them.

Anyway, the live scoring is working again, and they have gone into 3rd position.

Their team-mates are leading by around 12 points from the Azeri partnership, who are about 10 points ahead of Parshina / Stepanenko. The Belorussian partnership are about 5 points behind.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Second group tops and tails with partnerships from the Ukraine, with Belorussian partnerships in the middle.

Saw this first partnership earlier in the season, because I remember wondering if Mykyta was related to Anna Pogorilaya (I know, "Pogorielov" is not the normal name that "Pogorilaya" is the female version of. But, you never know!)

Into second (eventually!) But still 10 points behind the Russians.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
What an awful cover of "You're The One That I Want"! :eek:

I never want to hear that again!!!

Leaving that to one side, I liked the costumes, and the skating, from Natallia PAZHIVILKA / Iliya DRANTUSAU.

And, awwww!!!! As well as the coaches, they have a wee kid with them on the sofa. She is so cute!!!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And from bad "Grease" covers, we move to bad ABBA covers. :palmf:

Again, like their team-mates before them, I liked the costumes, and the skating, from Snezhana BARMOTSINA / Svyatoslav VERSTAKOV.

The Belorussian Fed really need to have a word with their people to get better music.

That was a very quick announcement of scores. The announcer was just finishing reading them out when they arrived at the sofa!

Into second position, just a smidgeon above the Ukrainians. Whose team-mates are next.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

auser

Record Breaker
Thank you for your winter-star insights CaroLiza_fan :rock:. I'm joining a bit late. Glad to be watching :yahoo:

++

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And we finish with "La La Land" covers from Lika BONDAR / Artem KOVAL.

What is it with cover versions in this group?!

Love Lika's costume. Very reminiscent of a costume that Sasha Nazarova wore one time (albeit in a different colour).

MY GOODNESS! SHE'S ONLY 13!!!! :jaw:

And now they go into second place! There is not even half a point covering 2nd, 3rd and 4th! šŸ˜² And 5th position is barely 2 points off 2nd position. :drama:

This is going to be a very exciting Free Dance tomorrow!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thank you for your winter-star insights CaroLiza_fan :rock:. I'm joining a bit late. Glad to be watching :yahoo:

++

Thanks, auser. Since there didn't look to be anybody else here at the start, I decided to post some comments for the benefit of anybody playing catch-up later on.

That said, I will be leaving the Winter Star after the two Ladies competitions. Because I want to watch the Italian Championships LIVE this afternoon.

CaroLiza_fan

Andrea82

Medalist
Second group tops and tails with partnerships from the Ukraine, with Belorussian partnerships in the middle.

Saw this first partnership earlier in the season, because I remember wondering if Mykyta was related to Anna Pogorilaya (I know, "Pogorielov" is not the normal name that "Pogorilaya" is the female version of. But, you never know!)

Into second (eventually!) But still 10 points behind the Russians.

CaroLiza_fan

I think you saw them at Budapest Trophy.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland