2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 266 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating

natsulian

Final Flight
Congratulations to newly crowned Junior World Champion Isabeau Levito, Junior World bronze medalist Lindsay Thorngren, and Clare Seo who climbed up the ranks from tenth following the short program to sixth place overall. Both Lindsay and Clare managed to put forth personal best scores while Isabeau narrowly edged out Jia Shin for the title. Upon the conclusion of the event, the top six was composed of three American and three South Korean women.

With the Olympic season having drawn to a close, here are a few lists:

Season's Best Scores
9. Alysa Liu, 219.24 (CS Lombardia)
19. Mariah Bell, 210.35 (GP Russia)
22. Isabeau Levito, 208.31 (JGP Austria)
30. Audrey Shin, 203.86 (4CC)
31. Karen Chen, 202.49 (CS Finlandia)
34. Amber Glenn, 201.02 (GP Skate America)
35. Lindsay Thorngren, 199.42 (JWC)
53. Clare Seo, 182.81 (JWC)
57. Gabriella Izzo, 180.06 (4CC)
60. Starr Andrews, 177.63 (GP Skate America)
63. Ava Marie Ziegler, 176.29 (JGP Kosice)
71. Kate Wang, 170.93 (JGP Russia)
93. Hanna Harrell, 158.89 (CS Golden Spin)
98. Mia Kalin, 156.23 (JGP Kosice)
107. Maryn Pierce, 150.67 (JGP Russia)
126. Josephine Lee, 144.97 (JGP France)

Other Fun Tidbits:
  • The United States earned its first World Championships medal since Ashley Wagner's silver back in 2016 thanks to Alysa Liu's beautiful first and last performance at the 2022 World Championships which nabbed bronze
  • Isabeau Levito and Lindsay Thorngren won gold and bronze respectively at the Junior World Championships
  • Karen Chen helped Team U.S.A. win silver at the 2022 Olympics Team Event
  • Audrey Shin placed just outside of the bronze medal position at the Four Continents
  • The American junior women brought home five medals from the Junior Grand Prix circuit
  • The American women brought home four medals from the Challenger Series
In terms of next season, Alysa Liu and Mariah Bell are guaranteed two Grand Prix spots. However, Alysa recently retired and Mariah's plans are still unknown. If Mariah also intends to retire, then Karen gets moved up two spots in the seeding process and is guaranteed two Grand Prix spots. Of course, Karen's intentions are also unknown (the assumption is that Karen will not participate in the Grand Prix series). Additionally, by virtue of ranking within the Top 24 on the Worlds Standings and Season's Best Scores lists, Isabeau, Bradie, and Starr are guaranteed one Grand Prix slot. For Isabeau, since she is the reigning Junior World Champion, she is eligible to possibly earn two spots. Lindsay can earn one Grand Prix spot due to her bronze medal at the Junior World Championships. However, much like Ting Cui a few seasons ago, I would not be surprised if she earns two spots. Skaters who placed within the Top 75 are also in contention for Grand Prix slots but are mostly called upon to fill in for seeded skaters or those who placed within the Top 24.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... and Clare Seo who climbed up the ranks from tenth following the short program to fifth place overall. ...

Clare Seo moved up to sixth overall at Junior Worlds. She placed fifth in the free skate.

Congratulations to Clare and to all. :)

And congratulations to Mariah Bell, whose 2022 Nationals Free Skate has won Best Performance - Ladies award from Professional Skaters Association.

Best Performance Ladies​
Mariah Bell – Championship Ladies Free Skate Program​
PSA Coaches – Rafael Arutyunyan, Adam Rippon, Vera Arutyunyan​
Choreographer – Shae-Lynn Bourne​
Music Selection – "Hallelujah" by k.d. lang​
Costume Designer – Jan Longmire​

The 2022 Best Performance Awards were added to the PSA site on Apr 14, but I don't think Mariah's has been mentioned in this thread yet.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
None of the US ladies have sloppy spins! I find it fascinating! They must be teaching something with the spins. Their spins are really good.

I'm playing a game now where I'm on the lookout for a crappy US spinner🤣
You make a good point. Bradie, Mirai, Alysa, Karen Chen are among the best spinners. I have to give a shout-out to Alysa's layback into Biellmann in her recent programs, where she did 12 revolutions in the Biellmann position. Very sad we won't be seeing her spins anymore, at least not in competitions. Mirai and Karen also have beautiful laybacks. Bradie is such a fast spinner--so underrated.
ETA: I forgot Mariah Bell—love her “Martini” spin.

Last edited:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Bradie isn't super active on Instagram, is she still interested in competing? Is she still training with Tom Z?
Same for amber. She almost made it, almost. I think people are upset with her over something on social media?