2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating

natsulian

Final Flight
For a lot of people, Alysa could land the 3A again and they will still doubt her and play her jumps at 0.01x speed to count every micro rotation to see if it was fully rotated. I’m rooting for her without placing any expectations; whether or not she regains her jumps, Alysa has an innate musicality and an “it” factor about her that is simply infectious.

On another note, Ting Cui recently performed for the very first time at a gala. I’m also rooting for her.

Steinbeck

Rinkside
Kanon Smith (13) attempted a 3A for the first time in competition today. Although it was deemed downgraded, I’m excited to see her try it out in competition. I’m hopeful that as her training progresses throughout the year, she will be able to land a clean one.

Soho Lee (12) placed second, landing a 3Lz+Eu+3S and scoring above 90 in the Free. Lee recently got her 3Lz, so I’m glad she’s already putting it in combination. Lee is not eligible for the Junior Grand Prix until next season.

Protocol for junior ladies: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/nonqual_results/2021/29957/SEGM027.html

Starr also made her summer competition debut, performing her short program yesterday. She landed all her jumps including a clean 3T3T.

Ting is still on her road to recovery and shared an exciting new milestone on her Instagram story: 3T3T. Ting is currently working on recovering her jumps after her back-to-back injuries. Wishing her nothing but the best.

The juniors are going to be really interesting this year! Mia has already thrown down the gauntlet with a landed 4T<, Isabeau is chasing it, and Kanon and upstarts like Soho — these girls are part of a gutsy new generation that knows you can't compete for a medal internationally without those big elements.

Amei

Record Breaker
For a lot of people, Alysa could land the 3A again and they will still doubt her and play her jumps at 0.01x speed to count every micro rotation to see if it was fully rotated. I’m rooting for her without placing any expectations; whether or not she regains her jumps, Alysa has an innate musicality and an “it” factor about her that is simply infectious.

On another note, Ting Cui recently performed for the very first time at a gala. I’m also rooting for her.

That's the treatment that pretty much all of the female skaters attempting quads/triple axels get, that is not something that's ever been exclusive to Alysa.

mrrice

Record Breaker
That's the treatment that pretty much all of the female skaters attempting quads/triple axels get, that is not something that's ever been exclusive to Alysa.
I agree. The thing is, if the US Ladies want to contend for Olympic Medals of ANY color, they need those big jumps to match what the Russian Ladies are putting out there. I sure wish Bradie had skated like she did at Nationals when she was at Worlds. "Usually" her best quality is her consistent performances in each comp she goes to.

Apple1078

Final Flight
^^
IIRC our top two Junior ladies (Kanon Smith and Isabeau Levito) at nationals this year are both now placing ultra-c elements in their programs. Kanon did a 3A that was under and Isabeau did a 4(?).
Mia Kalin did a 4T at junior nationals that was under. I don't know if she still has her 4S (saw video of her 4S in practice years ago).
Kanon has so much raw talent. I think I'd have had her 1st over Isabeau at junior nats. Clare Seo had the best skating skills. Used to represent Korea.

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
These US Juniors are giving me a bit of hope. I also found this interview with Kanon from 2019 when she won Juvenile nationals where she says her goal is to go to the 2026 Olympics and land the 3A!

Last edited:

katymay

Medalist
Do we have any Junior Ladies that are looking strong? I haven't seen any of them this year.
Kanon is a little jumping powerhouse with good speed and energy. Haven't seen what happened to Haley Scott, but potential there as well. (She had some big powerful jumps, just inconsistent, and not sure whether she is going into pairs more).

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mariah Bell will be skating to songs from Lady Gaga's Chromatica album for her SP and "Both Sides Now" by Joni Mitchell for her FS. This was revealed in an interview with USFS.
Will it be that version by the more "mature" Joni Mitchell? I hate that one but can't see someone skating to the original.

macy

Record Breaker
i wonder if its this version. it sounds like the most skateable one.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Mariah Bell will be skating to songs from Lady Gaga's Chromatica album for her SP and "Both Sides Now" by Joni Mitchell for her FS. This was revealed in an interview with USFS.
I love "Both Sides Now" This could really be a strong program if its choreographed well. Is she using Rohene?

macy

Record Breaker
I love "Both Sides Now" This could really be a strong program if its choreographed well. Is she using Rohene?
Cordero Zuckerman (drag queen Denali Foxx) helped with choreography for her short and looks like Shae Lynn did her long.

macy

Record Breaker
Remember there's always some unknown senior lady that breaks out in the olympic year and makes the team: who'll it be this time?
IMO i don't think there's a big chance that could happen this year, especially by an "unknown" skater. Amber could have a break out season internationally, but she isn't unknown. Bradie, Karen, Mariah and Alysa are all very well known, and i don't think any of the upcoming new seniors will be contenders for the team.

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Remember there's always some unknown senior lady that breaks out in the olympic year and makes the team: who'll it be this time?
I think out of all the main contenders (Bradie, Karen, Mariah, Alysa, and Amber) and the dark horses (Audrey Shin, Lindsay Thorngren, and Gracie(?)), there isn't any space for an outsider to breakthrough. I could be wrong though. I'd keep my eye on the dark horses and see if they get assigned a GP or JGP.

Last edited: