2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating

katymay

Medalist
why not? if she wants to go to the Olympics she needs to make a name for herself internationally as a senior. she has to prove she can hold it together under pressure and be reliable on a bigger stage than she's experienced.

IMO if not Alysa, then Amber. she's another that has proving to do if she wants to be on the team.

you want to go to the Olympics, then earn that 3rd spot and show you're not here to play.
Of all the US ladies/women/girls, Alysa seems to be the least affected by nerves in competition. Sometimes this changes as people age, I dunno why-but thus far she seems to thrive on the pressure and actually enjoy competing.

dancelion21

On the Ice
Alysa's nerves really impress me. She's been under so much pressure since she was young, but she's never collapsed in a competition (I don't count the Las Vegas International since the doubles were purposeful due to injury). The only time she's popped a jump is the 2021 US Nationals on the 3F-Eu-3S combination in the free skate. Even then, missing one jump doesn't mean that her whole performance collapses. As a Junior, Alysa was constantly attempting 4Lz or 3A at the start of her program. As such, she messed up the first jump in her program a lot, but she would still continue performing as well as she could and land all her triple-triple combinations in the second half of her program. So even if she can't restore her 3A, Alysa's competitive spirit gives her a leg up against the other US ladies, who are quite prone to popping jumps and collapsing under the competition pressure.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
So even if she can't restore her 3A, Alysa's competitive spirit gives her a leg up against the other US ladies, who are quite prone to popping jumps and collapsing under the competition pressure.
While she has been a strong competitor, I think it's pretty common that stand-out juniors find that doing the triples gets harder as you get older. I get that people want to root for Alysa, but I don't think "collapsing under the competition pressure" is a fair characterization for the top US women.

Dawn825

Medalist
Does anyone know if Tessa Hong is still skating? I havent heard her name in years.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is Ting Cui competing this season? Missing two straight seasons has took her out of the running most likely for an Olympic spot but she may have had more raw talent then any US lady coming up in the last 3 years and i'd like to at least see her compete somewhere though a GP event isn't going to happen. Injuries to Ting and Hanna Harrell are one reason why the US ladies field is so weak those two were supposed to be part of the new wave for this Olympic cycle.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone know if Tessa Hong is still skating? I havent heard her name in years.

I believe I heard some years ago she had left competitive skating, but on a personal note I thank you for the question. Yesterday I was trying to remember the name of the lady that Frank Carroll was coaching at a comp I attended in 2017, without using Google.

And now I do:biggrin:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Of all the US ladies/women/girls, Alysa seems to be the least affected by nerves in competition. Sometimes this changes as people age, I dunno why-but thus far she seems to thrive on the pressure and actually enjoy competing.
I used to say this about Bradie Tennell until her freak performance at Worlds this year. She did come back stronger at WTT but, it sure did scare me.

katymay

Medalist
I used to say this about Bradie Tennell until her freak performance at Worlds this year. She did come back stronger at WTT but, it sure did scare me.
I love her long program and wish she was keeping it. It is sophisticated and interesting, and with another year I think she would look comfortable with it and it would really be something. Without a new FS to learn she could concentrate on getting her jumps back, I know she had injuries, but her jumps are not what they used to be.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Apparently she had boot problems at Worlds. You can’t really get new boots in a bubble and even 9th place is better than withdrawing and leaving the US with no chance of three spots, since it might have been too late to send a substitute.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The US ladies are very exciting. I think the only almost sure bet to the olympics is Bradie not that she will be no. 1. There is such mystery and intrigue with Alysa Liu, Mariah Bell, Amber Glenn and Karen Chen. There are others who could challenge too. One skater who is rarely talked about is the one and only - Gracie Golld. Does anyone know how she is coming along? Could she challenge?

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
She claimed that her right boot (landing foot) broke on the first day of practice at Worlds, and you know most skaters don't have spare boots. I would normally be a little skeptical about that, but all things considered her Worlds performance did seem to be rather out of character for her, so I think it's probably true. I can only imagine how frustrated she is with having done so poorly.

natsulian

Final Flight
Kanon Smith (13) attempted a 3A for the first time in competition today. Although it was deemed downgraded, I’m excited to see her try it out in competition. I’m hopeful that as her training progresses throughout the year, she will be able to land a clean one.

Soho Lee (12) placed second, landing a 3Lz+Eu+3S and scoring above 90 in the Free. Lee recently got her 3Lz, so I’m glad she’s already putting it in combination. Lee is not eligible for the Junior Grand Prix until next season.

Protocol for junior ladies: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/nonqual_results/2021/29957/SEGM027.html

Starr also made her summer competition debut, performing her short program yesterday. She landed all her jumps including a clean 3T3T.

Ting is still on her road to recovery and shared an exciting new milestone on her Instagram story: 3T3T. Ting is currently working on recovering her jumps after her back-to-back injuries. Wishing her nothing but the best.

dancelion21

On the Ice
Considering how many issues Edea skates have given skaters over the past two years (thinking about Evgenia Medvedeva at RusNats 2020 in particular, where her boot was held together by a shoelace in the short program), I'm inclined to believe Bradie when she says she had boot issues with her Edeas. Edeas seem to have a habit of falling apart unexpectedly.