2021-22 Japanese Men's Figure Skating | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese Men's Figure Skating

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia
Yes the criteria is the result of Japanese nationals. The original team was Yuzuru Hanyu, Shoma Uno and Yuma Kagiyama who finished in 1-3 at Nationals. The alternates were Kao (4th place), Kazuki (5th) and Sena (6th). Shun finished in 7th so he missed out on the worlds team, but got assigned to junior worlds instead.
I see. Thank you!

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I just checked the entries for Worlds. There stands that Shoma Uno, Yuma Kagiyama and Kazuki Tomono will represent Japan, Kao Miura and Sena Miyake are listed as reserves. If Kao is injured, who's next in the replacement list, Shun Sato?
Sad for Kao, but excited for Kazuki. He's really stepped up this season and truly deserves the opportunity to compete at worlds.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Does anyone have any info if Keiji Tanaka plans to continue? He didn't have any points this season, which means he's probably out of the world rankings after the 2019/20 season is scrapped. ;_; He's not in the top 10 at Nationals either, so it's possible he won't get sent to any Challengers. And he did not get sent to any spring events either. He'll be in the PIW show in Tokyo, but he tweeted he'd perform his Je Te veux program there for the last time, so either he has a new gala, or maybe he plans to retire? Does anyone know more of him?

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia
Sad for Kao, but excited for Kazuki. He's really stepped up this season and truly deserves the opportunity to compete at worlds.
It's always delightful to see Kazuki Tomono, be it a show or a competition.

His competition results have not been that delightful, unfortunately. At the beginning of the season, I almost came here to ask if there were problems for him to train properly. Maybe he's busy paying bills? :scratch2:

Does anyone have any info if Keiji Tanaka plans to continue? He didn't have any points this season, which means he's probably out of the world rankings after the 2019/20 season is scrapped. ;_; He's not in the top 10 at Nationals either, so it's possible he won't get sent to any Challengers. And he did not get sent to any spring events either. He'll be in the PIW show in Tokyo, but he tweeted he'd perform his Je Te veux program there for the last time, so either he has a new gala, or maybe he plans to retire? Does anyone know more of him?
If I was Keiji, I'd wait if I am invited to Grand Prix series next year and then decide.

Good to know he will be in the show. Regardless if he continues competing or not, he is a type of skater who should skate in shows for a long time.

Last edited:

KiraraChin

Medalist
His competition results have not been that delightful, unfortunately. At the beginning of the season, I almost came here to ask if there were problems for him to train properly
Sorry, in what way? He always starts the season slowly, and going to the Olympics was always a long shot for him.

But he medalled internationally twice this year, finished in top 5 at Nats, and is currently Japan's fourth man in both season's best and worlds standings.

I think this season has been successful for him, personally, especially in comparison to the past few seasons.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
If I was Keiji, I'd wait if I am invited to Grand Prix series next year and then decide.

GP is out of the question for Keiji next season. Foreign federations won't invite Japanese skaters who are not in the world standings when there are over 100 international men there to choose from. And the Japanese Federation won't pick him for NHK Trophy, most likely. They usually prefer showcasing their young and promising skaters there, so the NHK host spot will most likely go to Tatsuya or Sena, or maybe one of the others if they make a case for themselves. Like Nozomu Yoshioka, who will now have a chance in Italy. Or Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda.
A Challenger is the highest ranking event that Keiji can hope for, in terms of competitions. He has a fairly good history with those, and won the 2019 US Classic. But, the line of Challenger hopefuls is long, even if JSF send two men to each. Fingers crossed for Keiji, if competitive skating is what he intends to keep pursuing.

KiraraChin

Medalist
In "if only he skated this program clean" way.
That's totally unfair and uncalled for. Literally no top Japanese Man is completely consistent - perhaps Yuma comes closer but he does makes mistakes here and there.

It's extremely difficult to skate multi-quad + 3As layouts and be clean all the time. In the current Men field, perhaps only Nathan can do it. So I'm not sure where this negativity re: Kazuki is coming from, when he's actually been one of the most consistent Japanese men this season.

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia
That's totally unfair and uncalled for. Literally no top Japanese Man is completely consistent - perhaps Yuma comes closer but he does makes mistakes here and there.

It's extremely difficult to skate multi-quad + 3As layouts and be clean all the time. In the current Men field, perhaps only Nathan can do it. So I'm not sure where this negativity re: Kazuki is coming from, when he's actually been one of the most consistent Japanese men this season.
A clean skate should be every skater's target. What's negative about that?

Last edited:

KiraraChin

Medalist
A clean skate should be any skaters target. What's negative about that?
Because you're criticising Kazuki based on effectively impossible standards in the current Men field. Is this still about Shun? He's definitely not consistent...

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia
Because you're criticising Kazuki based on effectively impossible standards in the current Men field. Is this still about Shun? He's definitely not consistent...
If skating his own program clean is an impossible standard, the skater needs to change his program (although here the criticism is rather for the coach). This is as simple as that and true for everyone.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Literally no top Japanese Man is completely consistent - perhaps Yuma comes closer but he does makes mistakes here and there.
It's extremely difficult to skate multi-quad + 3As layouts and be clean all the time.

That includes one of my favorite skaters - Shoma. His SP can be consistent, but his FS can get messy at times.

KiraraChin

Medalist
If skating his own program clean is an impossible standard, the skater needs to change his program (although here the criticism is rather for the coach). This is as simple as that and true for everyone.
LOL then pretty much all Men should be changing programmes all the time :rofl:

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia
LOL then pretty much all Men should be changing programmes all the time :rofl:
Exactly. Changing them. Adjusting them. Perfecting them to achieve the best result all the time. And not just Men. Also Women, Pairs and Dance.
Which is exactly what Nathan Chen was doing since the beginning of this season, if you want to learn from a good example.

KiraraChin

Medalist
That includes one of my favorite skaters - Shoma. His SP can be consistent, but his FS can get messy at times.
Exactly, and Yuzu is the GOAT but has never been a beacon of consistency. Yuma is relatively consistent but still makes mistakes and has the occasional bad skate. Kazuki, Shun, Kao, Sota, Keiji, Koshiro, Sena, all of them are hugely talented but inconsistent.

This is what Japanese Men are all about, for God's sake. Plenty of heart, wonderful skills, lots of charisma and that, sweet, pure, unadulterated chaos 😭

Anyone who's truly invested in Japanese Men knows what it's like to watch them on the edge of your seat, heart in palpitation, hands trembling. Knowing that you can either see a majestic skate or the most miserable of flops. Yet they are so wonderful that we don't really care - they got us hooked in that adrenaline ❤️

AxelLover

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Exactly, and Yuzu is the GOAT but has never been a beacon of consistency. Yuma is relatively consistent but still makes mistakes and has the occasional bad skate. Kazuki, Shun, Kao, Sota, Keiji, Koshiro, Sena, all of them are hugely talented but inconsistent.

This is what Japanese Men are all about, for God's sake. Plenty of heart, wonderful skills, lots of charisma and that, sweet, pure, unadulterated chaos 😭

Anyone who's truly invested in Japanese Men knows what it's like to watch them on the edge of your seat, heart in palpitation, hands trembling. Knowing that you can either see a majestic skate or the most miserable of flops. Yet they are so wonderful that we don't really care - they got us hooked in that adrenaline ❤️

So true!
Anyway, Japanese men have been my favourite part of figure skating for many years and I gotta say that this season made me love them even more!

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This is what Japanese Men are all about, for God's sake. Plenty of heart, wonderful skills, lots of charisma and that, sweet, pure, unadulterated chaos

I must say, I burst out laughing at this post. GIMME SUM ADRENALINE BABY. :points:

KiraraChin

Medalist
Japanese Men on top of the podium at Coupe du Printemps, with Kazuki Tomono 🥇 and Tatsuya Tsuboi 🥈

I was really impressed by Tatsuya, I know he struggled with injuries over the past few seasons so it was really nice seeing him skating effectively clean - he had a stepout in his 4S attempt, but apart from that he landed lovely triples, including 3As. Hopefully his silver medal will give him a nice boost of confidence for JWC.

As for Kazuki, he didn't skate that well but realistically, that was expected: his layout is harder to pull off while jet legged, and he didn't have his coach with him, plus he always struggles in competitions where he's the clear favourite to win (that's why he always flops regionals LMAO). But despite the difficulties he got the job done - this is his first international victory and he got 250 world standing points which bumped him from 16th to 12th in world standings. That means he most likely will be in the second to last group in the SP at Worlds 🔥

I'm really proud of both of them.

rabidline

Final Flight

Keiji just confirmed today that he will be skating a new program choreographed by Tatsuki Machida for PIW Yokohama shows: "On the Night of Chopin" . So there is nothing to worry about his endless supply of gala programs :LOL: He also has the Godzilla EX he only has skated at Nagoya Festival so far. International assignment worries notwithstanding, Keiji seems to be having fun exploring things as a skater!