2021-22 Russian Women's Figure Skating | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Russian Women's Figure Skating

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
So Aliona is in reserve and Dasha in the main team (which in reality doesn't make much difference). I've expected that there will be one more girl in reserve (possibly Medvedeva or Samodurova) but otherwise I think it is more or less how I expected it.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
No Zhenechka😕
I expect that if Evgenia or Alina want to return to competitions they will focus on 2022/23 season, there will be much more time for trying, experiments etc. than now when everybody is focusing on the olympics. As for Evgenia particularly, although she looked much better and healthier recently than she did last september, I do not think she would be able to get into a fully competitive form in two or three months from now.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Can someone explain: What does that mean for Aliona's season? Will she still get a GP Spot?
It doesn’t mean anything. Being in the national team just decides what amount of money an athlete gets from the government. Not being in the national team, doesn’t mean you get 0 funding: there are different levels of funding, athletes can get funding from their regional federations etc.

Season wise, it is the same thing as always for Aliona. This doesn’t affect GP distribution or anything else. Case in point, Gubanova was on the national team and Sakhanovich was not. Despite that Gubanova didn’t get a GP and Sakhanovich did.

Last edited:

Kittosuni

Medalist
love the fact that Rusfed did not give a fudge over past accomplishments of skaters and decided it on who is landing jumps and potentials. At the end of the day the difference in funding is only thru the clubs but skaters monthly stipend is the same for both main and reserve team.

Delienne

Rinkside
Alyona on reserve?? What the heck, what did Maiia accomplish more than her? Alyona had ONE bad competition her entire career, Maiia flopped many. Alyona and Sasha both came back, but one is on probation and had to do a public shameful interview, the other is just in. Alyona has a zillion more star potential, is getting 3A back, and has more fans than eny other russian lady, (at least internationally), as the views on TeamTuberitze's YT channel show. I hate this. Nope, that's it, I'm done with watching ladies. Will continue following only fs for T/M, Jason, Yuzu, Shoma, K/R and little K/A in ice dance. Sorry for the angry post!!

Kittosuni

Medalist
Alyona on reserve?? What the heck, what did Maiia accomplish more than her? Alyona had ONE bad competition her entire career, Maiia flopped many. Alyona and Sasha both came back, but one is on probation and had to do a public shameful interview, the other is just in. Alyona has a zillion more star potential, is getting 3A back, and has more fans than eny other russian lady, (at least internationally), as the views on TeamTuberitze's YT channel show. I hate this. Nope, that's it, I'm done with watching ladies. Will continue following only fs for T/M, Jason, Yuzu, Shoma, K/R and little K/A in ice dance. Sorry for the angry post!!

LOL you are over analyzing.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
First I do not think there was anything shameful about that interview, second it was not about one bad competition for Aliona, at that time she wasn't in a shape to deliver much better. And third, being on reserve team does not mean much from the perspective of getting entries in competitions and it did not anyhow put her chance to get into an olympic team in danger.

Last edited:

Delienne

Rinkside
It doesn’t mean anything. Being in the national team just decides what amount of money an athlete gets from the government. Not being in the national team, doesn’t mean you get 0 funding: there are different levels of funding, athletes can get funding from their regional federations etc.

Season wise, it is the same thing as always for Aliona. This doesn’t affect GP distribution or anything else. Case in point, Gubanova was on the national team and Sakhanovich was not. Despite that Gubanova didn’t get a GP and Sakh

LOL you are over analyzing.
Why? It may not mean a lot money-wise, but the message is clear. She's not priority over Daria and Maiia

Last edited:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
What the heck, what did Maiia accomplish more than her?
She participated in more competitions, than Aliona. She showed up at Nationals and placed 5th, she won silver at RCF with 2 quads.

Federation‘s formal criteria are one thing. There are also other principles in place:
1) results throughout the season
2) complexity and tech prospects of programs
3) positive dynamics (=improving throughout the season) of the season
4) consistency and reliability
5) technical and physical preparation
6) choreographical preparation
7) psychological readiness
8) level of motivation and aiming for highest results
9) how well the athlete performed compared to plans outlined to federation at the beginning of the season
10) prospects of the athlete.

but as I said, being/not being on the national team does not affect participation in competitions, future results and other opportunities. It does not determine the Olympic or world team. Literally, it is just about the money. Gubanova/Gulyakova/Sotskova were on the national team, what did that change? They did not get anything out of that.
I believe aside from getting all their equipment and training funded, they also get salaries, that’s where there might be difference between main or reserve team. But realistically, nothing changes. Kolyada was on a reserve team not too long ago, then next season he was Russia‘s #1.

Last edited:

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
From Evgenia's instagram

"I consider my absence from the national team to be fair. I skipped last season due to health problems and it would be unfair to include me on the list for past accomplishments. There are girls who objectively deserve more to be in the lineup right now. I am for the sporting principle. But figure skating is a sport where things change very quickly.
There are different situations. You can skip a season, another, then come back and achieve results. And there were many such examples in the world of figure skating. Therefore, I took the decision of the Federation quite well and do not plan to quit training."

Last edited:

Kittosuni

Medalist
From Evgenia's instagram

"I consider my absence from the national team to be fair. I skipped last season due to health problems and it would be unfair to include me on the list for past accomplishments. There are girls who objectively deserve more to be in the lineup right now. I am for the sporting principle. But figure skating is a sport where things change very quickly.
There are different situations. You can skip a season, another, then come back and achieve results. And there were many such examples in the world of figure skating. Therefore, I reacted normally to the decision of the Federation and do not plan to quit training."

Love the objectivity and maturity from Medvedeva on this matter.

catherine21

Rinkside
From Evgenia's instagram

There are different situations. You can skip a season, another, then come back and achieve results. And there were many such examples in the world of figure skating. Therefore, I took the decision of the Federation quite well and do not plan to quit training."

This is what I love about her. The fighting spirit that made her a 2 time world champion! I know she'll fight for an olympic spot despite the odds against her.