2021-22 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

ELEk3k

Rinkside
Because having a quad isn't enough anymore. Everyone has a quad lol.

And we know that Eteri tends to take skaters based on personality even if their technique isn't quite there. (They can teach quads. It takes something different to thrive in Eteri's ultra-competitive school. Even more so now but there is precedent for her accepting skaters who didn't have all their jumps but who she saw something in.)
If I remember correctly, she said that she needed skaters who are ready to work hard and give their best. In other words, the main thing is the mood and character of the skater himself, they can also teach jumping here.

ELEk3k

Rinkside
It's just a copy my comment from last RLFS forum thread:

You have the opportunity to attend the Russian Championship at the end of 2021. It can be a great new year trip to the decorated St. Petersburg, and tickets for the championship will cost no more than $ 20. :party2:

Also, within a year, the Russian government plans to simplify the period for issuing electronic visas to several days, and flying tickets pretty cheap from Europe to Saint-Petersburg.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
That fact that you can just say that (and for it to be somewhat true, at least within Russia), just goes to show how far this spout has come...
Yeah..

That only applies for Russia.

And mainly just for Eteri's group for whom having a quad isn't exactly a selling point. (She has novices who can land quads. She has 6 senior ladies (at least domestically) who are at least training if not landing "ultra-c" elements.)

She doesn't need someone who can land quads..

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
If I remember correctly, she said that she needed skaters who are ready to work hard and give their best. In other words, the main thing is the mood and character of the skater himself, they can also teach jumping here.
Yeah basically what I was saying..

The quads they can teach. Character is really what they're looking for and then they have to "fit" in that environment.

For the record: I think it needs to be said that I'm not saying Liza B doesn't have a strong drive or work ethic. We don't know why. It could even be as simple as she struggled to adapt to the environment. Just that having a quad doesn't automatically mean she gets a spot.

Zagipatra

On the Ice
Wow...Sambo is crowded in the upcoming season...The ones who really are gonna suffer from this are Daria, Maya and Alena (to a lesser extent) imo.

And Zhenya and Alina might as well announce their retirement tomorrow because they would need special attention from their coaches if they really planned on returning to competition in some shape or form but that they can't provide that...

To me its clear that the Olympic team will look like this: Kamila, Anna, Sasha or Kamila, Anna, Alena, either way it will be 3 of Eteri's girls.

I agree with the those who say that Sasha doesn't really fit into the group with her goals but the RusFed might think:

1. Kamila (great jumps, some quads, 3 Axel, great skater, super high PCS)
2. Anna (some quads, no 3 Axel but also high PSC)

Alena would be very similar to Kamila minus the quads (as of now). Sasha would bring something different.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Because having a quad isn't enough anymore. Everyone has a quad lol.

And we know that Eteri tends to take skaters based on personality even if their technique isn't quite there. (They can teach quads. It takes something different to thrive in Eteri's ultra-competitive school. Even more so now but there is precedent for her accepting skaters who didn't have all their jumps but who she saw something in.)
I thought Liza B had great personality and she emotes on the ice and lights up. But whatever it's not like TT will miss her and at PA she may get a lot more attention because it TT Sofia is Queen of the 13 and 14 year olds.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
I thought Liza B had great personality and she emotes on the ice and lights up. But whatever it's not like TT will miss her and at PA she may get a lot more attention because it TT Sofia is Queen of the 13 and 14 year olds.
Oh exactly. That's why I'm saying there could be multiple reasons. It could even be that they knew Sasha was coming back and wanted to focus on the seniors in an Olympic year.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Are you sure this is comparable?
T/M were basically rejected by everyone.
Mozer didn’t want to work with them, calling them an “uninteresting project”.

Whoa! I didn't know that. Do you have a link to the article or something?

Trankov said he can’t (and doesn’t want to) be their main coach, and that he isn’t fit for this job, but this again came to be his responsibility when T/M couldn’t work with Zoueva the whole season. I mean you could say she “stole” them from Zoueva, but they haven’t worked with her for a year. It couldn’t go on like this, I think it’s obvious. Going into Olympic season, they had too much uncertainty with their coaching, going between US and Russia would barely be an option. They needed someone to coach them in Russia, and as literally no one wanted to coach them here and Trankov doesn’t have a rink, I bet T/M are very thankful to have at least some certainty in their lives. Plus, they asked Eteri for help. I think they wanted someone to take responsibility for them, and organize the whole process of preparing for Olympics. It may very well backfire, but T/M spent a whole Olympic quad with no semblance of organized training, it was a chaos from start to finish.
Good summary. I would also add that because of what I imagine from observing them ... but of course I don't know them, so I certainly don't know this ... I think it might be good for to skate as part of a group. For the common purpose, and also for the feeling that everything doesn't depend on them. Evgenia said years ago that she needs stability to thrive, so these past years must have been a nightmare. I think it's a very great loss to her, and the team, though, if Sergei Voronov doesn't remain working with them.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Whoa! I didn't know that. Do you have a link to the article or something?

lurkerghost1

Rinkside
Wow...Sambo is crowded in the upcoming season...The ones who really are gonna suffer from this are Daria, Maya and Alena (to a lesser extent) imo.

And Zhenya and Alina might as well announce their retirement tomorrow because they would need special attention from their coaches if they really planned on returning to competition in some shape or form but that they can't provide that...

To me its clear that the Olympic team will look like this: Kamila, Anna, Sasha or Kamila, Anna, Alena, either way it will be 3 of Eteri's girls.

I agree with the those who say that Sasha doesn't really fit into the group with her goals but the RusFed might think:

1. Kamila (great jumps, some quads, 3 Axel, great skater, super high PCS)
2. Anna (some quads, no 3 Axel but also high PSC)

Alena would be very similar to Kamila minus the quads (as of now). Sasha would bring something different.
Usacheva gets a 3A and suddenly the whole team is up in the air.

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
You have the opportunity to attend the Russian Championship at the end of 2021. It can be a great new year trip to the decorated St. Petersburg, and tickets for the championship will cost no more than $ 20.
If any of you decide to visit St. Petersburg, don't hesitate to write me - I'll give you a tour of its historical places and bars. :)

colormyworld240

Medalist
Well, prefacing this by saying that the move probably increased Sasha‘s Olympic chances. While I was happy about some of her earlier improvements this season (that all vanished when she went back to the old “5 quads ride or die“ strategy...), it was clear that Plushenko and co. were unorganized, chaotic and just plain inexperienced.

Now, this season has pretty much “proven“ that in Russian ladies, you either skate with Eteri, or you don‘t skate at all (or, you can skate, ofc, but you won‘t make any teams). If Eteri really stays true to her “everyone gets the same chances/same amount of attention“ comments then the quality of coaching will inevitably go down for every single athlete.

We‘ll see how it goes, I guess. But I‘m worried for the skaters involved who know after this season that it‘s either Eteri‘s or they can kiss their medal chances goodbye. What a sad state for a discipline to be in, no matter the amount of medals it brings. You can call me an Eteri hater if you‘d like to but in my eyes, all it does is kill individuality. And that‘s pretty depressing for a sport as inherently creative and, yes, individual as figure skating.
So what do you suggest then? That Eteri rejects more skaters to give other coaches more chances? Or prevent skaters from joining her group? She isn't responsible for Plushenko's results this season.

You don't need to skate with Eteri to make teams and win medals. Sasha more or less had the same results as she did with Eteri, and she made the World team. Eteri didn't make her miss the combo in the SP. All 3 Russians were scored generously at Worlds, and made the podium, and all 3 had different coaches. Alena didn't make the team this season, but there was no argument that she deserved to over Anna (the only Eteri skater). AFAIK Eteri didn't make her skate the way she did, and she was scored generously internally as well.

Who knows why Alena and Sasha left, but they returned to a coach they think would work better, just as they did when they left. But unless Eteri went over to drag them back, or her skater didn't deserve to make the world team this year over the skaters that didn't, then there isn't really a problem. If things were better at Plushenko's, they would've stayed there.

It's Eteri's group's job to give everyone the same amount of attention if they take them. If the quality of coaching goes down because of the number of skaters they have, and it definitely could, then it's up the skaters to weigh that quality against the quality of the other coaches, and make their own decisions. That's why skaters have left Eteri's group too. Yes, so far, the skaters who left (other than Sasha) haven't had the same results. But again, that's not on Eteri's group, that's on their new coaches. It's not like she went around taking away their jumps/consistency.

Some skaters might see it as "It's Eteri's or they can kiss their medal chances goodbye" but that's because their coaching team is better at getting medals or spots. I don't think any of their skaters made a team and didn't deserve to be there. And it's not up to them to decrease their level of work so others can catch up. There were plenty of more established coaches before this group, and they didn't reduce their work for Eteri/Dudakov/Daniil either.