2021-22 Russian Women's Figure Skating | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Russian Women's Figure Skating

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

I used to dislike this program a lot for Sasha when she first debuted it but came across it recently and honestly really enjoyed it. Very subtle, understated quality and if she improves the softness of her movements, I wouldn‘t be mad at all if they used it for the next season. What do y‘all think?

I like this program on her. It would be "enough" if she lands the 3axel to keep her near Kamila, Anna, and Alyona in the SP. Sasha desperately needs the 3axel this season. It should be priority number one starting today! lol. I was happy to see her attempting it last season, and it was getting closer. This program has nice moments. I just wish she'd have more precision in her movements/spins. It's the little details that I want to see, whether in her spins or just her basic carriage. I'm kind of a math nerd, and see things in angles, degrees off the line, so it impresses me to see someone with that attention to detail. Scary thinking the Olympics are less than a year. Sasha has so much to work on in that time.

BabySloth

On the Ice
Country
Hungary
Looks like we have to wait longer for GP assignments. Looks like early July, according to the director of the FFKR. :rolleyes:

(Previously it was supposed to be June, as I received an email from USFS about Skate America, and it said that the list of competitors would be revealed in June, and also Jason Brown said that he would know by June where he was going)
Nooo why are they sitting on it for so long ugh. Grand Prix assignments are the best news in the off-season. But I guess we'll get to see them sooner or later.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
If you didn't see that already, this is GOLD!

Tf did I just watch 😂

looked at some more vids... Paola clearly has a very vivid imagination and probably really misunderstands a lot of translated articles (or twists them and makes speculations on purpose). It sounds kinda entertaining, but overall experience leaves somewhat of a bitter taste in my mouth.

Last edited:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Btw, I wonder if it ever was to be made into a Netflix show (not a docu series), do they need to request rights to film it from the protagonists of the story? Or is it not really necessary?

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Btw, I wonder if it ever was to be made into a Netflix show (not a docu series), do they need to request rights to film it from the protagonists of the story? Or is it not really necessary?
In such case the creators could face the legal action from the persons affected. What is usually the worst thing in such project is that they often mix true facts with fiction (usually advocated as "changes made for dramatic purposes") that on one hand are hard to recognize one from another, on the other hand can give the spectators wrong impression about characters, their roles and involvement in particular events.

Typical recent example would be HBO drama Chernobyl, precisely mixing very true to reality facts based on quality extensive research with incorrections (going sometimes very over the top) that are so well mixed that not well informed person can hardly distinguish between them.

I'm afraid that if such drama was created, esp. by a Netflix, HBO or similar production company, we would witness this attitude.

Last edited:

spicymacaron

On the Ice
Paola is still probably the most "moderate" of the figure skating youtubers.(although, when your competition is Koola and TSL...) I find her videos entertaining enough, even though she doesn't skate herself and it shows in some of her statements.

As for the grand prix assignments, does anyone else think that rusfed will try to have Aliona placed with Sasha? I'd expect Liza to be with Kamila and for rusfed to try to separate stronger skaters from Anna and Kamila.

Idiote

On the Ice

I used to dislike this program a lot for Sasha when she first debuted it but came across it recently and honestly really enjoyed it. Very subtle, understated quality and if she improves the softness of her movements, I wouldn‘t be mad at all if they used it for the next season. What do y‘all think?
Why not, I guess... The music is sweet and pretty, and the choreo is nice, she could pull it off if she wants/needs to but I still feel like the program is a little too generic, it would be a good fit for about any lady skater.

I do think that the better strategy for Sasha would be to go for something more unique, so she woudn't "suffer" from the comparison with Anna, Kamila and the likes who are more keen on soft-lyrical-classical music. Most importantly I agree with other posters that she needs the 3A to (paradoxally) be more relaxed in the SP.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
As for the grand prix assignments, does anyone else think that rusfed will try to have Aliona placed with Sasha? I'd expect Liza to be with Kamila and for rusfed to try to separate stronger skaters from Anna and Kamila.

Oh, I definitely think the pairings will be Trusova/Kostornaia, Tuktamysheva/Valieva, and Scherbakova/Usacheva. As to where Khromykh is paired with, well, either of these three seems okay. Though I think Maiia would best be served with Tuk/Val where she poses little threat to Kamila but will likely surpass Liza in placement. With Anna/Daria she would be the "athlete" of the three and would be competing directly with Daria who is just a bit above her in reputation. I first thought Maiia should go with Trusova, but if Alyona is there Maiia might not be able to do better than third at their competitions. And when it comes down to it, the third Olympic spot is between Sasha/Alyona, so let's start the comparisons between those two right from the start of the season.

Ziotic

Medalist
Oh, I definitely think the pairings will be Trusova/Kostornaia, Tuktamysheva/Valieva, and Scherbakova/Usacheva. As to where Khromykh is paired with, well, either of these three seems okay. Though I think Maiia would best be served with Tuk/Val where she poses little threat to Kamila but will likely surpass Liza in placement. With Anna/Daria she would be the "athlete" of the three and would be competing directly with Daria who is just a bit above her in reputation. I first thought Maiia should go with Trusova, but if Alyona is there Maiia might not be able to do better than third at their competitions. And when it comes down to it, the third Olympic spot is between Sasha/Alyona, so let's start the comparisons between those two right from the start of the season.
I honestly hope that Rusfes doesn’t have as much control as they would in a typical season, I want to see the pairing shaken up. I also wonder what will happen with GP/travel/vaccinations. Canada just announced fully vaccinated residents/permanent citizens can travel without quarantine but ONLY those vaccinated with vaccines approved in Canada, so not Supnik V. While I know it’s still early this could impact who can attend. Or perhaps they give exemptions to elite athletes.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I did. I know the channel which unfortunately is no better than koola king and that vid looks according to that.
Just because she disagrees with eteri and her coaching methods, doesn't mean she's an evil Westerner with intent to lowball all the Russian skaters. This channel isn't making stuff up outta the blue. It's all there in interviews and videos.... she's never said she wishes harm to any of the eteri girls.. Like, many times I will sing the praises of how I love kostornaia, or even kolyada or stepanova, but as soon as I admit to disliking daniil's choreography or a generous edge call given to an eteri student, I'm flooded with messages that I hate the entire country and everyone in it. This is just not true. I simply want fairness in the sport, and no overworking the young girls, etc.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
This channel isn't making stuff up outta the blue.It's all there in interviews and videos....
Yes they are. Perhaps not on purpose, but they are doing that quite a bit based on my experience of watching whole 3(!) videos.
One of the videos I watched was about Sergej Rozanov, and she quotes his interview on how he said that what was missing for Sasha and Aliona is probably “system, discipline and Eteri herself”.
Now, I don’t claim to be in Sergej’s brain, but common understanding would be that he meant “system of coaching”, that Eteri has a structure. Paola says that “system”means that Eteri owns ISU and Rusfed, and that Sergej just confirmed it in his interview.
Ummmm.... Pretty sure that’s not what he meant, but it seems like a wild speculative assumption to say the least.

In the other video I watched she says that Eteri “blocked” Evgenia going to other coaches and forced her to move to Sambo last year. Somehow Eteri within the same year isn’t capable of “blocking” Aliona and Sasha from leaving, couldn’t “block” Evgenia 2 years ago, but does it freely 1 month later after Aliona’s departure. Seems like another speculation based on nothing but “Evgenia is being held hostage by Rusfed!” conspiracy theorists. That was said quite bluntly too.

I also don’t like her constantly saying “ooh, this is Eteri’s favorite”, “ooh, this is Eteri’s favorite now”. In each video I watched it is mentioned constantly. As if history didn’t give us enough examples that Eteri herself often doesn’t know which of her students are going to win.

Last edited:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Just because she disagrees with eteri and her coaching methods, doesn't mean she's an evil Westerner with intent to lowball all the Russian skaters. This channel isn't making stuff up outta the blue. It's all there in interviews and videos.... she's never said she wishes harm to any of the eteri girls.. Like, many times I will sing the praises of how I love kostornaia, or even kolyada or stepanova, but as soon as I admit to disliking daniil's choreography or a generous edge call given to an eteri student, I'm flooded with messages that I hate the entire country and everyone in it. This is just not true. I simply want fairness in the sport, and no overworking the young girls, etc.
That's exactly what that channel is. Mistaking personal feelings for truth, ripping things out of the context, promoting myths and fake news, showing obvious sour grapes when the things develop the other way than the yelling channel runner wants they should develop. That's not about disagreement, that's about uncontrollable, desperate hate.

That's all I'm willing to waste on that sewer.

Last edited:

spicymacaron

On the Ice
That's exactly what that channel is. Mistaing personal feelings for truth, ripping things out of the context, promoting myths and fake news, showing obvious sour grapes when the things develop the other way than the yelling channel runner wants they should develop. That's not about disagreement, that's about uncontrollable, desperate hate.

That's all I'm willing to waste on that sewer.
That's a bit ... harsh. I agree that there's a lot of unsupported speculation going on there, but when did the channel show "uncontrollable, desperate hate"? It's very biased, but it's also just a youtuber. Also, they make a good point about how Eteri is rather petty with departures and I personally hold adults to a higher standard than children. Honestly, I think russian media takes youtube too seriously. And it's not as if domestic news can't be brutal towards their own skaters. I recall a disgusting sports.ru article about how Sasha's attachment to her mom and pets were examples of her infantile personality. The smartest thing is just to ignore them all.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
That's a bit ... harsh. I agree that there's a lot of unsupported speculation going on there, but when did the channel show "uncontrollable, desperate hate"? It's very biased, but it's also just a youtuber. Also, they make a good point about how Eteri is rather petty with departures and I personally hold adults to a higher standard than children. Honestly, I think russian media takes youtube too seriously. And it's not as if domestic news can't be brutal towards their own skaters. I recall a disgusting sports.ru article about how Sasha's attachment to her mom and pets were examples of her infantile personality. The smartest thing is just to ignore them all.
Of course you are absolutely free to disagree with me. That doesn't change a thing.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I think if someone is compared to disgusting sports.ru articles in order to look better in comparison, there’s probably a bit of a problem with the content they are producing.