2021-22 Russian Women's Figure Skating | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Russian Women's Figure Skating

Amei

Record Breaker
So does this mean Evgenia is really finished?| Was she seriously going to compete?| Does this mean no Grand Prix spots for her? how is her health? What does she have for ammunition? was Alina really coming bck?

In regards to the National team and Evgenia not being named?

Being named to the national team (or not in this case) is really only about funding based on what I know, she's still eligible to compete, I'm pretty sure her world ranking makes her eligible for at least 1 GP event. I'm not sure about her health but based on her own post (link below) she's still going to be training.

What does she have for ammunition?

Umm, what do this question mean "ammunition" - like her arsenal of jumps or are you talking some nefarious information on the Fed to make them add her to the team or give her GP spots?

was Alina really coming bck?

Similar to Medvedeva - not being on the National team is pretty much all to do with funding, basically if she wants to continue training with Eteri and team at Sambo its now on her nickel ruble. As of right now based on what's been posted in the RLT's she's technically just on her 'break' from competition. But she's still capable of training and striving for competitions if that's the route she takes

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
In regards to the National team and Evgenia not being named?

Being named to the national team (or not in this case) is really only about funding based on what I know, she's still eligible to compete, I'm pretty sure her world ranking makes her eligible for at least 1 GP event. I'm not sure about her health but based on her own post (link below) she's still going to be training.

Umm, what do this question mean "ammunition" - like her arsenal of jumps or are you talking some nefarious information on the Fed to make them add her to the team or give her GP spots?

Similar to Medvedeva - not being on the National team is pretty much all to do with funding, basically if she wants to continue training with Eteri and team at Sambo its now on her nickel ruble. As of right now based on what's been posted in the RLT's she's technically just on her 'break' from competition. But she's still capable of training and striving for competitions if that's the route she takes

Yes, being on the national team doesn't mean much really when it comes to GPs and other competitions.

I feel like I am repeating myself, Gubanova was on the reserve team two years ago and didn't get any GP assignments anyway.

GPs are all about rankings in the SB and WS lists. Top 24 are "guaranteed" a spot (not in Gubanova's case though, there were just too many Russian ladies two years ago). But Medvedeva, and Zagitova, are both still ranked very high on the WS list so they are certainly going to get GPs if they so desire.

It will be interesting though to see how the ISU handle this "ranking system" this year. The SB list we got from last season is all wonky (only contains three Russian ladies), and the WS list is bonkers as well. How will they choose GP assignments? THAT is the big question for now.

My bet for the nine Russian ladies that will get two GPs is:
Shcherbakova, Trusova, Kostornaia, Usacheva, Valieva, Khromykh, Tuktamysheva, Medvedeva.
That's eight. And finally I think it will be between Samodurova/Guliakova/Nugumanova for the last two spots. One of them will get two or they might split it so two of them gets one spot.

Arbitrary

Medalist
I for one am always suspicious about "common consensuses" regarding other people's motivations.
At least that was clearly readable here, at FSO and the whole Russian sport press for the last few months.
There was not a single message about Tutberidze being happy. Or neutral.

Regarding her influence. Let say, the Tutberidze-less FS means 2/3 of Russian Ladies medals becoming non-Russian. Such a neglectable influence...

Last edited:

sinus

On the Ice
But Medvedeva, and Zagitova, are both still ranked very high on the WS list
Both of them won't be ranked very high at end of the season when new WS list will be published. Medvedeva will be 34th and Zagitova will be 36th.

Amei

Record Breaker
Both of them won't be ranked very high at end of the season when new WS list will be published. Medvedeva will be 34th and Zagitova will be 36th.

It is, but the list will be updated for the 2021 - 2022 season (dropping 2018 - 2019 season, and moving the next two seasons down one, 2019 - 2020 into the 70%) before the GP assignments are posted.

Well given the lack of international season for 2020 - 2021 the ISU likely needs to determine how to address the rankings,

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Well given the lack of international season for 2020 - 2021 the ISU likely needs to determine how to address the rankings,

I agree. I assume that they will use 2019 - 2020 season's best score's in addition to the scores available from the 2020-2021 season.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
However, also important to note that rankings won’t matter if Alina or Evgenia decide to compete. As far as I remember, there’s a “comeback” rule, which guarantees GPs to former world champions and medalists.

Smith16

Rinkside
Alina is going for a second degree. This summer Alina Zagitova is entering Russian State University of Physical Education, Sport, Youth and Tourism (SCOLIPE), she will be getting a second degree in parallel with the first one she's getting in RANEPA (Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration) where she's studying in the Journalism department.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
However, also important to note that rankings won’t matter if Alina or Evgenia decide to compete. As far as I remember, there’s a “comeback” rule, which guarantees GPs to former world champions and medalists.
Say what now?! So basicaly, if idk, Dick Button say, wanted to compete at a GP, he would be guaranteed a spot? o_O

Amei

Record Breaker
Say what now?! So basicaly, if idk, Dick Button say, wanted to compete at a GP, he would be guaranteed a spot? o_O

Pretty much, remember Gracie at Rostelecom cup being nowhere close to ready to compete at the GP level? I said then the past champion rule needed to be modified.

Minz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ok so, here is the ”comeback” rule, copied and pasted straight from the 2019-2020 ISU Handbook. Don’t know if Alina or Evgenia would fit the criteria though...
(And no, Dick Button would not be guaranteed a GP spot if he wanted🙃)

c) “Come-Back” Skaters/Couples: Skaters/Couples who were previously seeded (placed 1 to 6 within the past 10 years at a ISU World Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently did not participate in one or more competitive seasons will be given priority consideration to re-enter the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating for selection of up to 2 assignments if they commit in writing to participating in two ISU Grand Prix ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating and ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final 2019/20 of Figure Skating events and if such return is announced and confirmed by the date of the annual Selection Meeting. Such so called “Come Back Skaters/Couples” will not substitute any of the Seeded Skaters/Couples, mentioned under a). “Come Back Skaters/Couples” must not fulfil the requirements of the minimum Grand Prix score and would be considered for selection as an Organizing ISU Member Choice. A come back under this clause is allowed only once in their competitive career for any Skater/Couple.
d) If a Seeded or “Come-Back” Skater/Couple withdraws from an assigned event, even for medical reasons, that Skater/couple will not be assigned to another event.

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
Alina is going for a second degree. This summer Alina Zagitova is entering Russian State University of Physical Education, Sport, Youth and Tourism (SCOLIPE), she will be getting a second degree in parallel with the first one she's getting in RANEPA (Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration) where she's studying in the Journalism department.

Good for her. I hope she does well. Do we know what this 2nd degree is? The first one is journalism right?

Minz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Good for her. I hope she does well. Do we know what this 2nd degree is? The first one is journalism right?
I’m not 100% sure what the first degree is. The 2nd degree I think has something to do with sports.. but what exactly, I’m not so sure. There are many degrees in the SCOLIPE program.. it could be coaching, or something else..

esteticlove

Final Flight

Lately I have been thinking that Alina might be preparing to enter Eteri's Team as a coach or at least to learn coaching from them. I know she is still training to keep fit for shows, but it's possibly not the only reason. Her entering into the sports university is another step into that direction. I might be wrong, ofc.