2021-22 US Ice Dance | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2021-22 US Ice Dance

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think H/B and G/P will have a rivalry over the next few years like H/D and C/B have had. I do not expect G/P to just leapfrog over H/B.
I don't expect G/P to leapfrog, either ... BUT G/P are new and building momentum, so they have a bit of wow factor from doing so well so quickly. H/B will have to look to their laurels, imo. More FDs as stellar and moving as this year's and they should be fine, but they can't coast at all, I don't think. (not that they would, just saying it's not going to be a cakewalk to the top)

dancelion21

On the Ice
Huge congratulations to Green and Parsons for winning the Four Continents title with new personal bests and breaking the 200 barrier overall.

Another congratulations to Carreira and Ponomarenko for winning the bronze medal and scoring a new PB in the free dance.

And finally, congratulations to Bratti and Somerville for capping off an amazing debut season together by placing fifth overall.

momrk

Medalist
Country
United-States
Huge congratulations to Green and Parsons for winning the Four Continents title with new personal bests and breaking the 200 barrier overall.

Another congratulations to Carreira and Ponomarenko for winning the bronze medal and scoring a new PB in the free dance.

And finally, congratulations to Bratti and Somerville for capping off an amazing debut season together by placing fifth overall.
Future of U.S. ice dancing looking good!

Amei

Record Breaker

ucrgirl

On the Ice
In team event news, it looks like the Ice Academy of Montreal has confirmed (before USFS) that Hubbell/Donohue will be skating the rhythm dance and Chock/Bates will be skating the free dance!

Both teams will be able to get at least one well-deserved Olympic medal :)

I'm so glad the dance event is being split but I would have switched the order. Maybe that teams had imput on which programs they preferred.

skatespin

On the Ice
Glad they are splitting, both teams deserve to win a medal here however I don't understand why C/B aren't doing the RD. Their RD is very good and has been scoring very well. It seems possible to me they could score high and put up a challenge for S/K if they skate it very well. I see challenging S/K even less likely if H/D do RD.

Amei

Record Breaker
My theory is perhaps they both wanted feedbacks on their weaker programs for the team event? Honestly quite unclear as to why this was the distribution and not the other way around

That theory in my opinion doesn't make sense, there's about 8 days between the team event and individual event how much can really be changed in that amount of time and perfected for the biggest competition? And at competitions you are limited to set practice times, they couldn't do some extended practices to get something ready. I think at this point the program you have is the program you have

dancelion21

On the Ice
Congratulations to all the American teams on their performances in the individual event!

Madi and Zach of course earned a bronze medal to cap off their careers with an individual Olympic medal, and buried their PyeongChang demons.

Madi and Evan were a strong fourth, and even though they didn't get a medal, they were able to overcome their PyeongChang demons as well, skating well across all three of their programs. As an added bonus, they went viral in the team event, with their free dance garnering over 1.5 million views before NBC took it down.

Kaitlin and Jean-Luc had an excellent Olympic debut, and it's been incredible to see just how happy they were to get the Olympic experience they've been dreaming of.

And of course, in my opinion, the ice dancers were the MVPs of the team event and of US Figure Skating in general. It's now five Olympics in a row that an American ice dance team has podiumed. Madi and Zach were a major part of Team USA leading after the first day of the team event. And after several weak performances, Madi and Evan (the team captains), came in clutch with first in the free dance to secure the silver (which may get upgraded to gold). This is also the second Olympics in a row that the American teams were third and fourth, and again just speaks to the depth and strength of American ice dance.

It seems a long time ago when ice dance was the forgotten child among the American disciplines, when I would argue that it is now USFS' crown jewel :)

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations to all the American teams on their performances in the individual event!

Madi and Zach of course earned a bronze medal to cap off their careers with an individual Olympic medal, and buried their PyeongChang demons.

Madi and Evan were a strong fourth, and even though they didn't get a medal, they were able to overcome their PyeongChang demons as well, skating well across all three of their programs. As an added bonus, they went viral in the team event, with their free dance garnering over 1.5 million views before NBC took it down.

Kaitlin and Jean-Luc had an excellent Olympic debut, and it's been incredible to see just how happy they were to get the Olympic experience they've been dreaming of.

And of course, in my opinion, the ice dancers were the MVPs of the team event and of US Figure Skating in general. It's now five Olympics in a row that an American ice dance team has podiumed. Madi and Zach were a major part of Team USA leading after the first day of the team event. And after several weak performances, Madi and Evan (the team captains), came in clutch with first in the free dance to secure the silver (which may get upgraded to gold). This is also the second Olympics in a row that the American teams were third and fourth, and again just speaks to the depth and strength of American ice dance.

It seems a long time ago when ice dance was the forgotten child among the American disciplines, when I would argue that it is now USFS' crown jewel :)
It is a shame that we can't find any videos of their beautiful skating. Usually NBC posts video of the winners. They posted Nathan almost immediately, but crickets for any ice dancers this time but plenty of Valieva.

dancelion21

On the Ice
It is a shame that we can't find any videos of their beautiful skating. Usually NBC posts video of the winners. They posted Nathan almost immediately, but crickets for any ice dancers this time but plenty of Valieva.
The YouTube videos were up for a while before NBC took them down. They're all still available on NBC's website.

Hubbell/Donohue
Team Rhythm Dance
Individual Rhythm Dance
Individual Free Dance

Chock/Bates
Team Free Dance
Individual Rhythm Dance
Individual Free Dance

Hawayek/Baker
Individual Rhythm Dance

For some reason, NBC does not have H/B's free dance

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For some reason, NBC does not have H/B's free dance
I found it and others and added links in the video thread

auser

Record Breaker
Which is, of course, by far their better one. I tweeted that Olympic Ice show something like “hello, the US has three ID teams. The next day they did 15 minutes on H/B.
Thanks for the tip, moonvine. I'm behind watching Olympic Ice episodes, but I will look out for this one.

dancelion21

On the Ice
Molly Cesanek/Yehor Yehorov, who finished 9th at US Nationals this year and 5th last year, just announced their move to the Michigan Ice Dance Academy with Charlie White, Tanith Belbin White, and Greg Zuerlein. Greg coached them for a year last year while he was coaching with Wheaton, so they're following a similar trajectory to Ian Somerville, who was also coached by Greg at Wheaton before following Greg back to Michigan.

I wonder if we will see any other American dance teams attempt to go for the switch. I personally feel that Pate/Bye might benefit, since they're already training in Michigan, and it doesn't feel like they've ever been the top priority for Igor.