2021 Asian Open: Women's Free Skate | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2021 Asian Open: Women's Free Skate

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
She's competing again in a week at SkAm, so hopefully not
Oh I fully forgot that her 1st gp was so soon. She has competed awfully a lot in this month she has competed in regionals, Japan open and now here and next week in SkAm. Not much time in between really. I do hope its not exhaustion setting in and its just a fluke.

Well her protocols dont look that bad, a fluke fall on the axel, 3S was under and a popped 3loop. She did loose a combo cause of the fall and she couldn't put the combo on the popped loop either.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So, Kaori was fine for the most part up to the second last jump where she usually goes for a 2A 3T 2T combo. She fell on the double axel. But, that should usually be fine as you can simply just add the combo to your last jump. Her last jump is a Triple loop and it looks like she doubled it with okay GOE. Did she just forget to at least add a combo? She could have just easily added a eu 3S or 2S or a 3T or 2T and she would have done enough to win.

Also, Mai wasn’t perfect either. She doubled her final triple loop, as well. Good for Mai though, as she can improve upon this score.

To be honest, everyone talks about how strong the Japanese team is. I have no idea who should be selected to go to the Olympics from Japan. It will be interesting to see who shines in the Senior Grand Prix circuit as that is the last opportunity to prove themselves prior to Japanese Nationals.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Medalist
No WS points. I'm unclear on whether this counts for SB (or even mins, although someone said yesterday that it does). @Andrea82 ?

Minimums for sure because the requirement is at least 2 skaters from 2 ISU Members, Technical Panel from 3 different ISU Members and a panel of at least 5 international Judges (with no ISU member having a majority of them). Actually you can even use a national judge if you can't find a 5th with international qualification.
And all these elements are met for Women event at Asian Open.

Critical question mark is for SBs. Because SBs come from Challenger Series competitions, GPs, World Team Trophy and ISU Championships, while Senior Bs are not considered.
The panel of officials here meet the requirements of Challenger Series (at least 6 international judges, all judges from different ISU Members, Technical panel from 3 different ISU Members, at least 2 TP members with "ISU" qualification).
However, after all the skaters' withdrawals, the first part of the following rule is not met:

Each International Competition as part of the ISU Challenger Series in Figure Skating must consist of “Senior” categories (see ISU General Regulations 2021, Rule 108, paragraph 3.a) and must include entries in at least three (3) disciplines of the Figure Skating Branch (Men, Women, Pair Skating, Ice Dance) from a minimum of ten (10) different ISU Members, in all disciplines combined.
In addition, the minimum number of entries per discipline are as follows:

• Men / Women: minimum of eight (8) entries each, from at least four (4) ISU Members;
  • Pair Skating: minimum of five (5) entries from at least three (3) ISU Members;
  • Ice Dance: minimum of six (6) entries from at least four (4) ISU Members.

As for World Standing points, even if the whole event is demoted because the event doesn't fulfil the above mentioned rule anymore, Women competition should at least award points for the "other international events" column using the Senior Bs table of points (less than Challenger points, but still something), because the requirements for Senior Bs to be considered is 8 skaters from 4 ISU Members. And that requirement is met for Women.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
73ea619c868ba5019875b3fb03716dfc.gif

Mai now.
This win was unexpected.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Critical question mark is for SBs. Because SBs come from Challenger Series competitions, GPs, World Team Trophy and ISU Championships, while Senior Bs are not considered.
We can see if any of these skaters' SBs are updated after the comp. That should work?

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
That woman program doesn't suit her.
I guess I'm of the minority. I actually like the concept behind the program (very trendy). It's just that the idea can be difficult for the skater to get. So like Machida's comments during JO, it's really a challenging program for Kaori. (And it reminds me Mao Asada of her first Olympic season...everyone said that the Bell of Moscow program didn't suite her. But she fought for that and finally nailed the program towards the very end. I'm waiting to see if Kaori can get through that as well.)

Andrea82

Medalist
We can see if any of these skaters' SBs are updated after the comp. That should work?

Yes. By Monday it should be clearer (because if they don't update them today, it may just mean that they were waiting next week).
By reading the rule as it is literally written (correct me if I read it wrongly), it shouldn't be a Challenger Series event anymore. However, there are not precedent of this kind of situation.
So they may invoke "special circumstances" or whatever. Let's see....

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I guess I'm of the minority. I actually like the concept behind the program (very trendy). It's just that the idea can be difficult for the skater to get. So like Machida's comments during JO, it's really a challenging program for Kaori. (And it reminds me Mao Asada of her first Olympic season...everyone said that the Bell of Moscow program didn't suite her. But she fought for that and finally nailed the program towards the very end. I'm waiting to see if Kaori can get through that as well.)
Kaori's 2nd part of program isn't that bad. So there is potential. Yes it's challenging.
Imo, bells of moscow still didn't suit Mao at olympics or worlds.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since Kaori didn’t win, the only fair thing to do is just eliminate this event from the record and pretend it never happened. I’m sure we can find a loophole to get the results voided. Haha

All kidding aside, congrats to Mai. If we had to lose, glad it was to her!

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Omg Mai won! My baby yes! im so happy for her! :cheer2::cheer::cheer2:
Please Jfed support my baby! She also deserves a chance to make the olympic team!
I am so happy for Mai. She is the only person sunnier than Kaori. I love her programs, no detailed and lovely. I love Kaori too and hope this sharpens her competitive spirit going into Skate America. I would not want to be a judge in Japan - it would be so hard to break someone's dream.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Yes. By Monday it should be clearer (because if they don't update them today, it may just mean that they were waiting next week).
By reading the rule as it is literally written (correct me if I read it wrongly), it shouldn't be a Challenger Series event anymore. However, there are not precedent of this kind of situation.
So they may invoke "special circumstances" or whatever. Let's see....
WS have been updated (at least for the men). SB, not yet. Will wait till Monday, as suggested.

Andrea82

Medalist
WS have been updated (at least for the men). SB, not yet. Will wait till Monday, as suggested.

Good for already spotting the update.
The winners got 250 points in WS rather than 300 and only top 5 got points.. So they counted it as a Senior B rather than a Challenger.

Last edited: