2021 Autumn Classic: Rhythm Dance | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2021 Autumn Classic: Rhythm Dance

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Caroline and Michael keep on impressing me. One of my favourite RDs this season. Love the choice of music and the way they embraced that particular style, both musically and choreographically. Really like the unusual way of partnering in the pattern section. Plus I find their overall look just quite polished and detailed in all dance breaks, isolations etc.

skatemd1

On the Ice
Caroline and Michael keep on impressing me. One of my favourite RDs this season. Love the choice of music and the way they embraced that particular style, both musically and choreographically. Really like the unusual way of partnering in the pattern section. Plus I find their overall look just quite polished and detailed in all dance breaks, isolations etc.
I agree and love this team and this year's RD, but if you really want to see them shine, check out their FD from Lake Placid. Absolutely breathtaking. I can't wait to see it again tomorrow and as it continues to develop this season. This team is just terrific and are putting some really original content out on the ice. Refreshing, yes?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I agree and love this team and this year's RD, but if you really want to see them shine, check out their FD from Lake Placid. Absolutely breathtaking. I can't wait to see it again tomorrow and as it continues to develop this season. This team is just terrific and are putting some really original content out on the ice. Refreshing, yes?
Well, their FD at Lake Placid caused goosebumps which is very, very rare for me. And on the first go.
They were able to really find something they were willing to put so much work & dedication in to challenge themselves and sort of boundaries of modern, contemporary style, how it was done vs how they want to embrace it.
What I most respect about them this very season is this custom, tailored to the T approach taken. Not being afraid of risks coming with boldness of RD and integrating music with movement in FD. I like the *particularity* of both programs ABD the fact how much they are able to make them memorable, getting that lasting effect.
That FD...It's a whole MOMENT. It's so very unassuming, but creeping it's way under your skin quickly. And in deep.

rain

Record Breaker
I enjoyed this a lot and had lots of thoughts about the teams and their programs (and their costumes).

Gilles/Poirier: What can I say? The class of the field. This is right up their alley and I loved their choice of songs from Elton John. This dance will only get better, but there are already so many highlights. The multiple lunges are so retro and a fun theme throughout (and a great thigh workout). Now, the costumes. That's a bold choice. They are hideous, but very Elton John. I kind of love the extreme camp factor. I worry a little that they distract from just how good and sophisticated the dance is, if that makes sense. G/P set the tone from the first note of music and absolutely owned it. Some of the other couples could take some notes on how to do that, but more on that later.

Smart/Diaz: I didn't like their Tina Turner number. I LOVED IT!!!! This program is absolute genius from beginning to end. While I love the other Spanish team as well and always think it's ridiculous that we can't see both of them at Worlds/Olympics (they definitely have the quality to be there, IMO), I have a sneaking slight bit more affection for this team. They sell their programs so well, and take risks (I was probably the only big fan of their circus/clown FD). What can I say about their performance today? They owned it from the first synchronized arm snaps. One of the best blues expressions here. Can't wait to see it again.

Green/Parsons: Not sure I would have had this above Lajoie/Lagha, but I do really like this team. She is a star. The hip hop elements aren't crisp enough and look a bit awkward, but great speed. The lift was slow and awkward.

Lajoie/Lagha: I was a little disappointed with the choreography. They skated the hell out of it, but for me it didn't have enough character/special moments to make it stand out from the pack. There is so much choreography in it, but it needs something like the arm snaps in Smart/Diaz's program to make an audience sit up and take notice. Between this and Rio these two must be in spectacular condition. It's like running a sprint. I did think they looked smoother than Green/Parsons and would have had them ahead.

Soucisse/Firus: This was a step up for them. Looks like the move to Carol Lane was the right one. Best dressed award to Carolane by a mile. She looked gorgeous in the 20s flapper inspired purple dress with the fringe. It's something that's so in style right now. I thought they looked more confident.

Sales/Wamsteeker: Award for the best, most crisp and convincing hip hop moves went to....Haley Sales by a country mile (believe it or not). I think this dance could be really good for them. They need some more attitude to pull off the Billie Eilish. They aren't owning the music right now, and Eilish tends towards a bit monotone, so the skaters really have to bring it to make this sparkle. Hopefully that will come with miles on the program through the season. There are a lot of great moments in this choreography.

Lafond-Fournier/Kam: I was impressed with how closely together they skated in hold for such a new team.

skatemd1

On the Ice
Well, their FD at Lake Placid caused goosebumps which is very, very rare for me. And on the first go.
They were able to really find something they were willing to put so much work & dedication in to challenge themselves and sort of boundaries of modern, contemporary style, how it was done vs how they want to embrace it.
What I most respect about them this very season is this custom, tailored to the T approach taken. Not being afraid of risks coming with boldness of RD and integrating music with movement in FD. I like the *particularity* of both programs ABD the fact how much they are able to make them memorable, getting that lasting effect.
That FD...It's a whole MOMENT. It's so very unassuming, but creeping it's way under your skin quickly. And in deep.
That's exactly how I feel, especially after watching the FD today, but so much better said! And yes, I got goosebumps watching this too.