2021 Four Continents cancelled | Golden Skate

2021 Four Continents cancelled

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ISU Press Release

ISU Four Continents Championships 2021

Considering the pandemic developments and related impact on the organizers and participants of ISU Events, the ISU Council decided to cancel the following ISU Championships:

• 2021 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, Sydney, Australia
  • 2021 ISU Four Continents Short Track Speed Skating Championships, Salt Lake City USA
  • 2021 ISU Four Continents Speed Skating Championships, Calgary Canada

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
With all the travel restrictions between countries, not to mention the host location, the writing was on the wall for this one.

Conceivably Euros could still happen, but with some countries unable to go.

Worlds is also iffy, but whether or not it happens, the ISU has to abandon the idea of using 2021 Worlds to determine Olympic spots, because at this point there is absolutely no way that’s going to be a fair way to do it.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Not unexpected and not unreasonable. However i do hope some steps are taking to not give skaters who get to go to Euros an unfair advantage.

I also hope the ISU looks and this and starts to open up the path to the Olympics for skaters that need the minimum TES for words. For some 4CC/Euros may have been their shoot.

Something needs to give when it comes to the Olympics... though i so think they will be postponed as well, so the give might just be "next year counts"

mrrice

Record Breaker
Not unexpected and not unreasonable. However i do hope some steps are taking to not give skaters who get to go to Euros an unfair advantage.

I also hope the ISU looks and this and starts to open up the path to the Olympics for skaters that need the minimum TES for words. For some 4CC/Euros may have been their shoot.

Something needs to give when it comes to the Olympics... though i so think they will be postponed as well, so the give might just be "next year counts"
Do you think Euros will have an audience? I'm still wondering how the sponsors and advertisers are going to make money on these events.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Do you think Euros will have an audience? I'm still wondering how the sponsors and advertisers are going to make money on these events.

Well they can buy board space which will be seen by everyone watching at home... and gives incentive to stream.

But you have a point. Money... needs to happen.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So sorry for our Australian friends😥 And for less skating.

I echo the sentiments about world minimums. Something needs to be done, especially for skaters at small feds who have limited opportunities for travel (and yes, I'm thinking of Donovan)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I know the virus has caused much bigger problems in the world, but for this moment, I'm going to be selfish. This is so flipping unfair. All those years we had to wait after France STOLE OUR WORLDS, and now we lose again. And it's not even our fault! We couldn't do anything about it!

I know we've been given 2023 and that's good but...it won't be the same.

I wanted to see Jason skate live again, one last time...

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
2000 Worlds was originally scheduled for Brisbane, and was switched to France. Some weak guff about broadcast rights was offered as an excuse. France stole our Worlds.
That's so unfair! :( The Worlds would have been an amazing thing to have! And broadcast rights, weird, I'd have at least used the excuse of the time difference. I hope they at least got proper notice of the change, imagine spending all that money to get the ice rinks ready and everything.

Man, I would have loved to have gone to Worlds in my own country.

frida80

Record Breaker
I know the virus has caused much bigger problems in the world, but for this moment, I'm going to be selfish. This is so flipping unfair. All those years we had to wait after France STOLE OUR WORLDS, and now we lose again. And it's not even our fault! We couldn't do anything about it!

I know we've been given 2023 and that's good but...it won't be the same.

I wanted to see Jason skate live again, one last time...

I was thinking about you when they announced I wanted you to get to see Jason skate in person and was glad it was in Australia. Very unfair.

Arbitrary

Medalist
Was it any upper tournament rerouted from Japan to Russia due to Fukushima or whatever disaster just happened?
I remember something like that...

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Was it any upper tournament rerouted from Japan to Russia due to Fukushima or whatever disaster just happened?
I remember something like that...
Yes 2011 Worlds had to be moved after the big earthquake. Fortunately, Japan was able to host the very next year...alas I'm not sure if Australia will ever get the chance for World's again!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yes 2011 Worlds had to be moved after the big earthquake. Fortunately, Japan was able to host the very next year....

Japan did not host Worlds the very next year.
2012 Worlds were in Nice, France.
2013 in London, Ontario, Canada.
And then 2014 in Saitama.

Perhaps you are confused because of WTT.
WTT was designed to be an every-other-year event.
Because of the tsunami, what was supposed to be 2011 WTT was held instead as 2012 WTT.
So the first three editions of WTT turned out to be 2009, 2012, and 2013.

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Japan did not host Worlds the very next year.
2012 Worlds were in Nice, France.
2013 in London, Ontario, Canada.
And then 2014 in Saitama.

Perhaps you are confused because of WTT.
WTT was designed to be an every-other-year event.
Because of the tsunami, what was supposed to be 2011 WTT was held instead as 2012 WTT.
So the first three editions of WTT turned out to be 2009, 2012, and 2013.
Whoops my mistake...well anyway Japan did at least get the Worlds in 2014, not too long afterwards.

Will Worlds ever come to Aussieland I wonder?!

Amei

Record Breaker
Did they attempt to get it somewhere else before straight-up cancelling it?