2021 Gran Premio d’Italia: General Info | Golden Skate

2021 Gran Premio d’Italia: General Info

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2021 Gran Premio d’Italia (Grand Prix of Italy) is the third event of the 2021-22 Grand Prix series and is scheduled to take place Nov. 5-7, 2021, in Torino. Following the cancellation of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating – Cup of China, the International Skating Union announced that the third event of the Series will be hosted in Torino (ITA).

The ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series consists of six international senior invitational events and culminates with the 2021-22 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final in December 2021.

Last edited by a moderator:

IlVoloFan

Final Flight
Country
Turkey
Is it possible to enter to backstage or smth for taking photos with the skaters? How was it in the other GPs? I’m asking cause it’ll be my first time going to an event

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Is it possible to enter to backstage or smth for taking photos with the skaters? How was it in the other GPs? I’m asking cause it’ll be my first time going to an event
It’s completely different at each event in my experience. In 2019 in Kelowna you couldn’t step out of your seat without tripping over the skaters because they practiced over every square inch of available space. In 2021 Skate America it was all separate, but some of them came out in the hallways to take pictures. Also, I think there was some secret exit or something where people could go see them coming off the ice.

I am not a picture taking fan, so my favourite part is going to practices and sitting close to the ice to see them in practice, because I simply love those moments during the run-throughs when they switch performance charisma on and off 🤣. It’s amazing no matter how many times I see it. Plus intimidation techniques and ice dancers sharing the same rink with hair-breadth dodges… so I basically just hang out all day long there which makes for like 13-14 hour day, but it’s so worth it.

I know many people take pictures during practices.

Last edited:

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker

Okay, I am not Italian nor am I going to this GP (and have not been to a GP yet), but if I were you I wouldn't expect to be allowed backstage, especially in the middle of the pandemic. Smaller events like Nepela allowed fans to use the skater entrance if they were few, but that was way before the pandemic. In my experience, the more prestigious the event, the tighter the security (though I may be mistaken...). But rules aren't the same at all events as e.g. taking photos with skaters at Challenge Cup, a small competition, was very difficult even before covid (security not happy at fans hovering near doorways leading to backstage, plus inaccessible practice rink).
If practices are accessible to the public, I recommend using them as your No. 1 opportunity to ask skaters for photos/autographs once they're ready to leave the ice.
Enjoy your first skating event! :biggrin:

pearly

Record Breaker
Skaters always use a separate entrance so your safest bet is to wait outside after the event. Just note that not all of them might be willing to interact considering Covid.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Skaters always use a separate entrance so your safest bet is to wait outside after the event. Just note that not all of them might be willing to interact considering Covid.
I would make sure to wear a mask. They're probably required in the arena anyway, but since the skaters are travelling internationally you absolutely want to protect them and make them feel comfortable. 😷

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Speaking of safety, the flash on the camera has to be off. I saw someone at Skate America repeatedly taking pictures with a flash on the opposite side of the arena, and it’s just common sense not to do it to a person skating at 20 clicks per hour.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Speaking of safety, the flash on the camera has to be off. I saw someone at Skate America repeatedly taking pictures with a flash on the opposite side of the arena, and it’s just common sense not to do it to a person skating at 20 clicks per hour.
I am actually quite disgusted by this. I love making pictures, but like with paintings, you don't use Flash. Period. It's like visiting an Opera in Verona (oh my, is that an experience) or anywhere else: flash is forbidden and rightly so.