2021 Gran Premio d'Italia: Men's Short Program | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2021 Gran Premio d'Italia: Men's Short Program

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Deniss didn´t have a quad in his program, so I don´t think 90+ should come in question with that skate. Considering his layout, his score was quite high. He also had a deduction. Only person ho scores over 90 without a quad is Jason Brown, but we can agree on that Jason has better overall quality on the elements and far better presentation. It´s crazy if Deniss should have a similar score.
I litteraly don't see why Brown's and Deniss' skates should be 9 points apart. 3 or 4 maybe but not 9. Brown got a q on 3A so he too lost some points (more than Deniss if we take in account the GOE he would have gotten for a clean 3A).
We don't have the same point of view obviously. That's okay.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wasn't able to watch most of the men's programs in real time, but I did get to participate in the suspense, as I watched most of the skates in order. It was indeed an exciting event. Surprises, some good, some bad (depending on who we're invested in!). But surprises are fun.

Honestly? My favorite skates were Junhwa's and Daniel G's. Just so much joy of skating. I am a sucker for it. The funny thing was that I didn't recognize Daniel's music, although I knew I was associating it with Cain-Gribble/Leduc. But because I didn't think about it much, I just enjoyed what Daniel did with the music, which was totally foreign from what Kolyada did (or indeed, C-G/L). So I was coming at it fresh. It's nice to be able to disassociate that way! at least it worked out well this time.

ETA: Also, I just love the appearance of Junhwah's skating, when he's "on" and skates clean. I'm not sure what it is about him, but I think it's something about his carriage and posture and overall positions during the elements. His carriage is graceful even while being perfect, which is not an easy thing to do.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Deniss didn´t have a quad in his program, so I don´t think 90+ should come in question with that skate. Considering his layout, his score was quite high. He also had a deduction. Only person ho scores over 90 without a quad is Jason Brown, but we can agree on that Jason has better overall quality on the elements and far better presentation. It´s crazy if Deniss should have a similar score.

Actually since I think Jason should get 100, I'm OK with Deniss getting 90s. :biggrin:

I do love Deniss and have ever since Puttin' on the Ritz. He brings something unique to skating and I am here for it. So glad he had a good skate today :)

Rebel_Rebel

Spectator
Absolutely agree.
Also, there is nothing in Denis Latvian. Deniss is Russian. I doubt he even know Latvian language.
Deniss is Latvian, he knows Latvian language and does his studies in Latvian at the university. Yes, Russian is his first language, because he grew up in a Russian-speaking part of Latvia, but he still identifies as Latvian and said that he’s proud to represent his home country many many times. Please don’t claim things you know nothing about.

icybear

Medalist
Lori doing all these Crouching tiger programs for Boyang and Vincent Zhou and probably Chen Yudong oriental SP feel like eating Panda Express. Its so painstaking western stereotypical perspective of Asian culture. She even has Boyang and Vincent doing the same kung fu hand opening pose. LOL. Its just so cringe seeing it represented through the limited eyes of a white woman.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well, I watched a bit of the men's afterwards (had to watch the pairs first, and Loena of course :love2:) and I enjoyed it a lot. Deniss was great with his pony tail (which has nothing to do with his skating, but I like it), I was pleased to see Boyang back even if his Crouching tiger is a bit empty apart from the great jumps, I was totally in love with Daniel and so happy for him to have a good SP here. He needed that, I think. And Cha was wonderful. I've enjoyed watching him in former seasons, but I really enjoyed this programme. Yay! I'm hoping Mikhail will come back tomorrow, and I felt so sorry for Dmitri (he is such a beautiful skater when it works). And whatever happened to Gabriele? He can really do much better.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Actually since I think Jason should get 100, I'm OK with Deniss getting 90s. :biggrin:

I do love Deniss and have ever since Puttin' on the Ritz. He brings something unique to skating and I am here for it. So glad he had a good skate today :)
I agree with you. I think Deniss is lovely, but Jason's quality of movement, edge control and complicated choreography is a step above everyone else's and does justify him being several points ahead of Deniss, with similar tech content.

Country
Norway
I litteraly don't see why Brown's and Deniss' skates should be 9 points apart. 3 or 4 maybe but not 9. Brown got a q on 3A so he too lost some points (more than Deniss if we take in account the GOE he would have gotten for a clean 3A).
We don't have the same point of view obviously. That's okay.

Jasons SP is just polished from start to the end. Even though he got a q on the 3A, he has very good jumps with +GOES. His spins are maybe the best male spins there is now. If you compare his TES at SC he is just 2 points ahead Deniss here, which is not that big difference. But the difference is deserved even with the q on a 3A. He is 6 points ahead in PCS which I would say is right, as he should have one the highest PCS of all men IMO.

If Denis didn´t fall on the step sequence he would probably have around 2 points more as he might have lost 1 point on the GOE as well as the deduction for the fall. He then would have around 87 points which isn´t really that far from Jasons 94 points at SC.

I think the problem is we are spoiled with high points because of the all the mens jumping quads. In that matter Deniss clean skate can seem low. 85 is indeed a very high score with only triples and of course he deserved it because he is unique! Do you know many skater except Jason who would score that high with that layout, because I don´t. Of course it´s hard to tell because many doesn´t have only triples in their planned content.

A very good SP which I can remember now which had the same layout as Deniss is Nikolaj Majorov at Finlandia Trophy. In Finlandia the scores was also known to be inflated. He performed a very good and clean program, and he got a new PB with 81,48.

Of course Denis should rightly be ahead of Nikolaj, but as i´m trying to point out, Denis 85 points with a rather big mistake on the step sequence is a good score! Also remember the judges are probably stricter at GP.

Of course we can have different opinions. I just don´t think 85 is a bad score.

Last edited:

eterialskating

On the Ice
The German judge undermined every skater except for the one of the worst Kagiyama. The Japanese judge was not any better.

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
Kagiyama's PCS was way too high for that performance. Here he got 42.76 which is less than half a point lower than what he got at Worlds (43.10) with a 100+ program. The PCS is where the IJS really needs to clean up its act.

icetug

Medalist
Also, there is nothing in Denis Latvian. Deniss is Russian. I doubt he even know Latvian language.
Russian is Deniss' mother tongue since his family belongs to Russian minority in Latvia. He speaks Latvian however: he had to pass an exam on Latvian to graduate from high school. As he's been living abroad since he was 11, his Latvian is rather rusty and he prefers to give interviews in English, even for Latvian media.

withwings

On the Ice
Deniss is Latvian, he knows Latvian language and does his studies in Latvian at the university. Yes, Russian is his first language, because he grew up in a Russian-speaking part of Latvia, but he still identifies as Latvian and said that he’s proud to represent his home country many many times. Please don’t claim things you know nothing about.

Oh, dear, I would be very happy- and from the very bottom of my heart- to be the very first to agree with what you are writing here :)! but I stand for what I said and I will stand. I am Latvian and do live in Latvia all my live, and know what I was talking about. But it does not matter here, on the skating forum, what I said/wrote regarding Denis language and it was not necessary for me to bring it up. What matters is his skating. I watched his skate today in GP France and I have to say, that he truly was great. It seems, that Denis finally might be on the way to find his own style (?). Also, I loved his hair; his pony tail. A pony tail certainly gives him a more distinct look.

I am late with a reply, was enormously busy at work.

Last edited:

withwings

On the Ice
Russian is Deniss' mother tongue since his family belongs to Russian minority in Latvia. He speaks Latvian however: he had to pass an exam on Latvian to graduate from high school. As he's been living abroad since he was 11, his Latvian is rather rusty and he prefers to give interviews in English, even for Latvian media.
.... you exactly are giving an answer to Rebel Rebel in my place