2021 Gran Premio d'Italia: Women's Short Program | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2021 Gran Premio d'Italia: Women's Short Program

Ella339

On the Ice
This is a "nice" replay camera. They only show emotional highlights, not mistakes. 😂
The one at the end of the stream, sure. But the one right after Anna skated, while the judges were working?

They do that sometimes..not show mistakes.
Pretty odd for a short program, just three jumping passes... And they opted to show anything but that third one. Oh well. Okay :rolleyes:

Thanks for the the replies, at any rate! :)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I know. This is a typical point of view of many on this forum - that FS is kind of like a show (I don't mind - we all free people. All I ask is, don't give a sports assessment with this approach).

But FS is sport - it is an occupation in which people undergo some kind of trial. And in which we compare the degree of their ability to pass this trial. The test that skaters go through is obviously - it's a test of balance (this can easily be seen by anyone who stands on the ice at least once.).

The most difficult part of this test is jumping. An ordinary person will probably not be able to do even a double. The top skaters have such a level that they pass this test with all sorts of complications ("Can you do it beautifully coming out of the jump?", "Can you do it without a careful long approach?", "Can you do not look with an attentive, focused gaze before the jump, but be emotionally involved in the choreography?" etc)

Note - I do not remove artistry from the table. But the difficulty of performing artistry is a derivative of technique.
And here I diverge. I am someone who supports total package skaters. If you can't do the jumps you won't win. IJS isn't set up to have those who can't jump win. There are too many points in jumps to ever offset PCS. However, just because I know Satoko won't beat a 15 year old who can do quads it doesn't mean I can't enjoy her skating for what it is.

Alina, for example, deserved to win the gold in Korea in my opinion. But her skating wasn't my favourite but I accept that from a sports point of view she was the correct winner.

sparkle400

Rinkside
Aww really disappointed for Anna. I didn’t feel confident after her first jump for some reason. I felt really confident that she was getting back to her best when I saw the clips of her landing the quads.

chloepoco

Medalist
What? what????
In the name of all that's holy, what are you talking about? Mihara's program is a standard NOTHING. She's skate the same thing all these years. The same simple NOTHING.

How can you compare the skate of Maya and Mihara? It's just a different level of choreography.
My God, do you people even see figure skating or something else?
Different strokes for different folks! Mai’s program is one of my favorites!

eterialskating

On the Ice
The one at the end of the stream, sure. But the one right after Anna skated, while the judges were working?

Pretty odd for a short program, just three jumping passes... And they opted to show anything but that third one. Oh well. Okay :rolleyes:

Thanks for the the replies, at any rate! :)
What a sorry complaint. I wasn't aware replays where for the satisfaction of haters to see every mistakes from skaters they don't like.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
🇧🇪 #LoenaHendrickx #GPItaly
"I was able to train all summer (whereas) before that I had a lot of injuries. Now I was able to train everyday and was confident going into the SP. Tomorrow is a new day and everything can change and I'm keeping my motivation and my head strong."

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
🇷🇺 #MaiiaKhromykh #GPItaly
SP PB 72.04
"There are no emotions right now as everything is happening so fast," regarding her GP Debut. "I would rate my performance today a 3 out of 5." She hopes to show the content she has trained for in the Free Skate." She and coach were talking about her spin and footwork in the K&C.

"I'm very happy that I was able to skate clean, I have mixed feelings right now (about her debut)." In regards to the social media phrase "Maii Can Do It" she says maybe it's her motto now.

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I know that many here are rooting against Russian ladies skaters (although only few openly "almost admit" this). You can rejoice - if they make a mistake, the Russian media are merciless to them, there is already a title - "Russian ladies skaters were defeated in the short program for the first time in two years!". Defeated.. :palmf:

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Different strokes for different folks! Mai’s program is one of my favorites!
It's not about love. It's about complexity. Mihara always skate relatively simple programs without emotional involvement.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Loena was wonderful! Honestly, I am more gutted for Koreans than for Russians, because both Scherbakova and Khromykh have plenty to bring to the table for the free. I still find that Khromykh lacks the surety and projection, but the camera also didn’t do as many close up passes on her, so who knows. She is less wobbly, though… let’s see what happens next. Interestingly, I actually like Scherbakova more this season than the last. Maybe I am just liking weirdo music choice. Russian roulette of Olympic spots is becoming more and more entertaining.

Last edited:

Joekaz

On the Ice
I see a lot of emotion in Mai’s skating; it’s breathtakingly beautiful! 💕
Mai is a consistent though not impressive jumper who is good but not great at anything. The opposite of her teammate Sakamoto, also a consistent jumper, but who has very obvious strengths and weaknesses. The result is the same for both in that they both rely on other's mistakes and favorable judging, which Mai seldom gets.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
So thrilled for Eunsoo - even despite the fall, she had the fire in her eyes, she came with great choreography and speed, and that 3Lz+3T was better than it's ever been. Excited for what's to come!

It might seem clichè but with that opening lutz-toe and with this Roxanne tango, i had a flashback of Yuna Kim's SP from 2007 Worlds. The speed and confidence.

If she had skated clean, i'd have had in first or very close to Hendricks personally.

Loena was wonderful! Honestly, I am more gutted for Koreans than for Russians, because both Scherbakova and Khromykh have plenty to bring to the table for the free. I still find that Khromykh lacks the surety and projection, but the camera also didn’t do as many close up passes on her, so who knows. She is less wobbly, though… let’s see what happens next. Interestingly, I actually like Scherbakova more this season than the last. Maybe I am just liking weirdo music choice. Russian roulette of Olympic spots is becoming more and more entertaining.

yeah the italian feed also said among all the Tutberidze skaters, they felt Khromykh was the most insecure and not quite as ready. With that said, she could still win this in the free.

Loena is amazing, one of the few skaters among the top in Ladies that has the maturity.

I also agree on Shcherbakova, despite the mistake (a little overmarked, you can't give a positive GOE in the combo with a clear footdown), i liked the program, a new look for her.

Mai is a consistent though not impressive jumper who is good but not great at anything. The opposite of her teammate Sakamoto, also a consistent jumper, but who has very obvious strengths and weaknesses. The result is the same for both in that they both rely on other's mistakes and favorable judging, which Mai seldom gets.

I feel like choreographers should try harder with her, just dare more with the programs and the style. She's a beautiful skater who could aim at bigger scores for sure. Beautiful dress here tho.

Last edited:

Vlad Karigov

On the Ice
I know that many here are rooting against Russian ladies skaters (although only few openly "almost admit" this). You can rejoice - if they make a mistake, the Russian media are merciless to them, there is already a title - "Russian ladies skaters were defeated in the short program for the first time in two years!". Defeated.. :palmf:
Not surprised at all the treatment of the press, because after failure and shameful defeat in rhythmic gymnastics in the Olympics can not afford another defeat, no matter how minimum, in a female sport where they are the indisputable leaders. Prepare, because if tomorrow happens the worst and Russia does not win the feminine event, most of the press will talk about the Retreat of Shcherbakova.

I wish that tomorrow Shcherbakova show the Tsarina who has inside and land 2 Quads, make a perfect skating that approaches the 170 points and earn the gold ...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

If no one is "openly admitting" it, then no, you don't know it. Most fans I know and see here on Goldenskate (like me ;) ) root for their favorites to win. They don't consider other skaters important enough in their minds to "root against", except as they want the skaters they like to win.

That is a shame about the Russian media, they should be much more appreciative of their skaters. If the skaters only matter if they are winning, the media is only encouraging "fair weather fans", and not true skating fans.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Leona going from strength to strength. Carrying 2020 momentum into 2021. Best non Russian European skater last year, might start being an Olympic medal contender soon enough. Flying under the radar for 2 years.

Not going to be a well kept secret for much longer. And she wore red, so that should get bonus points! Haha

Glad Anna looks like she is staring to get into game shape. It’s not a secret that I’m on Team Anna. As a reminder, never ever count her out.