2021 IdF - Men: Thoughts and Comments? | Golden Skate

2021 IdF - Men: Thoughts and Comments?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I was just so glad to see far better free after the short. And, like, I am sure other peeps would cover all the other amazeballs skaters, but I am gonna stick with Mozalev.

Mozalev, the Russian man in his teens least likely to skate to Queen, did great in the free. Sure, he had no medals and stuff, but out of two guys with one stage and the 7th place, he is the best. 😂 plus, second in the free with the 4th lowest PCSs is one heck of a special achievement (as well as increasing in every category by at least one point overnight; at that growth rate, he will be perfect ten in no time). And he finally landed a clean and pretty 4S. His continuing commitment to portraying middle-aged men reflecting on the past is still adorable, and he’s got ‘em spins and depth. So, grats with the international senior debut, and hope it will go better from here on in Zagreb and in the Russian Hunger Games.

Last edited:

Wilhelmina

On the Ice
The men had more “oh, wow” moments for me than any other discipline at this event.

In viewing order:

1. I was truly worried for Kevin Aymoz after his last event and this SP. Never been so glad to be wrong. His free skate is beautiful, and I'm so happy for him. Hope he gets to perform it to a larger audience this season. Honestly, I'd watch him just skate around the rink, sans jumps.

2. Andrei Mozalev I had predicted in 5th in the predictions game, and after the SP thought I'd just been terrible at predicting. But oh my goodness! The power of Vangelis. What an amazing free skate. He could have medaled if he'd skated like that yesterday.

3. Adam Siao Him Fa's level 4 step sequence in his free skate was amazing, blazing fast, super entertaining, and justly rewarded with high GOE. A real highlight for me.

4. Such a relief to see Keegan skate without scary falls. I like this program for him, especially the spins which are sooo fast, and always watch the K&C for baby pictures.

5. The top 4 men all did great, and I think the final placements were correct. Not so many "oh wow" moments, but still fun to watch.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I missed the SP but the free skates were, as a whole, better than the prior stages. No one really stood out to me, but if I were to pick one skate it would be Mozalev’s.

Kagiyama : He skated cautiously, carefully. He best get his nerves under control because the time is coming in which he’ll be the favorite going into competitions. The thing about Kagiyama is that he’s not naturally musical - and never will be - yet he doesn’t skate right through his music. This along with his gorgeous jumps and skating should keep him on podiums. He just needs to relax a little and stop popping his 3A.

Sato : His opening 4Lz was the smoothest jump in the entire competition. He was a hot mess all last season so I’m glad he made the podium with a solid free. For now, I think he’s focused too much on jumps and I don’t that’ll change anytime soon. He does have solid basics with the blades, though. He may even be underrated in that area.

Brown : I dislike his free skate and this is odd because I really liked it two years ago. I’m not sure if the program has changed much from then, but it now leaves me cold. The first half is especially empty; the second half is better, but only slightly. As a whole, the program feels calculated and plastic to me. Winning Silver would’ve been a guaranteed trip to the final but now the results in Rostelecom will determine that. I think he’ll make it.

Mozalev : Mozalev was second in the free and hopefully that gives him confidence to sort out whatever he needs to sort out because he’s too good to be in the middle of the pack. Once upon a time he was consistent, but now he seems to bomb one program (usually the short.) Like Kagiyama, he’s not musical, but he always pays attention to the music and doesn’t throw away choreography. I still have hope that he’ll make the Olympic team.

I rewatched Aymoz since I couldn’t enjoy him live as I was worried about him having a horrific skate. I find that I don’t like his free as it’s too similar too Lighthouse, but he may have also taken out a lot of the choreography to get through the skate. Hopefully he heals and perhaps I’ll like the program in it’s full form.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Brown : I dislike his free skate and this is odd because I really liked it two years ago. I’m not sure if the program has changed much from then, but it now leaves me cold. The first half is especially empty; the second half is better, but only slightly. As a whole, the program feels calculated and plastic to me. Winning Silver would’ve been a guaranteed trip to the final but now the results in Rostelecom will determine that. I think he’ll make it.
The entire mid-section of the program was overhauled. Apparently it got rave reviews at Champs Camp, which goes to show how little we should take into account the feedback from there.

I too think the first version of the program was the superior version in choreography, execution and emotion. But this one is still, objectively, a very beautiful program.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hooray for menfolk :)

That was an exciting event, some good redemptions skates! How amazing is Andrei M coming 2nd in the FS! Hope he can keep up the awesome work :)

Bit sad for Dima, but he was mostly good, waltzes were made for him :love2:

Good on Yuma too! But am I like the only person who adores his SP? I thought it was really endearing and cute. I'm not as into his FS, although those first three jumping passes were epic.

Congratulations to Jason and Deniss, I really wanted them both on the podium, but Jason put on the better FS. Hope Deniss keeps the momenteum going :)

Lastly, good on the Frenchmen! They really stepped up to challenge of skating at home today (yesterday?), relieved to see Kevin skating well again and Adam's step sequences are better, faster, strong. ;) I also enjoyed Romain a lot, shame I only just noticed him and now he's retiring! Whoops.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Good on Yuma too! But am I like the only person who adores his SP? I thought it was really endearing and cute. I'm not as into his FS, although those first three jumping passes were epic.
It's adorable!!! I watch it going: Smile sweetie!!! The song is telling you to smile. And he does smile when he's done which is really cute!!!

These kids make me all "mothery" when I watch them.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
It's adorable!!! I watch it going: Smile sweetie!!! The song is telling you to smile. And he does smile when he's done which is really cute!!!
I second that, Greengmemonster. I do like some old school music now and again. I haven't seen the FS yet, but Yuma and Jason did seem a little tense during the SP.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Hooray for menfolk :)

That was an exciting event, some good redemptions skates! How amazing is Andrei M coming 2nd in the FS! Hope he can keep up the awesome work :)

Bit sad for Dima, but he was mostly good, waltzes were made for him :love2:

Congratulations to Jason and Deniss, I really wanted them both on the podium, but Jason put on the better FS. Hope Deniss keeps the momenteum going :)

Lastly, good on the Frenchmen! They really stepped up to challenge of skating at home today (yesterday?), relieved to see Kevin skating well again and Adam's step sequences are better, faster, strong. ;) I also enjoyed Romain a lot, shame I only just noticed him and now he's retiring! Whoops.
Thank you for congratulations to Deniss! Else I was like, am I the only one who noticed that Deniss landed a quad? He did an incredible under-rotated, double footed 4S and stayed on his feet. Isn't that awesome? Kidding, I'm just as tired of his quad issues as everybody else is. But his PB has started growing (and he himself has stopped growing, hopefully) and this is a good sign.

And I'm definitely with you regarding Yuma's SP. People say it's old-fashioned but I say it's suitable for his age. He needs to grow a bit to do staff that is more challenging artistically. The time is all his so he can do it in future working with Orser or Lambiel ;)

Btw as long as I remember Romain, he has never been better artistically as he is now. So I am kind of with you regarding him, too :)

Lzbee

Final Flight
This is the first time I've watched a full men's competition with both SP and FP (and live too!) but I am converted, it was so much fun! Also, with watching live, I don't care one jot for the scores and it's so refreshing. (Can you tell? I'm still buzzing haha)

Adam Siao Him Fa's program was a crowd pleaser, I loved his energy and musicality so much. I hope we get to see him at the Olympics! It was my favourite of the night which is saying a lot because there were a lot of performances that I enjoyed!

Jason's program was beautiful, you could see how much it meant to him. And congrats on the landed quad! I hope he got how much we appreciated his skating ♥️

Dmitri Aliev was another standout to me. Don't know how it comes across on camera (I was sitting opposite the judges so couldn't see the skaters faces most of the time) but his expression was very good and he seemed very into the music. Kicking myself now for swapping him out for Mozalev in the predictions because everyone else had Mozalev! Yes, I'm blaming everyone but myself. 😝

That said, Mozalev was very good too! He had the smoothest jumps of all the non-japanese men and I really liked his SP (the FP was less memorable to me but the jumps were great!).

Kevin Aymoz opening the competition with a great skate was heart warming. I was really worried after he hit his head in the SP but the crowd were really rooting for him that I think it meant a lot to everyone that he skated so well in the FP. Also, just got back from the gala and this man can do a full lap of the rink with his spread eagle :bow:

Dennis' SP is fantastic, his musicality is insane and he really goes for the choreo. But I didn't get the same feeling for his FP, he seemed a bit more tentative and slower. Hope to see the FP at its best soon. (I'm assuming he's going to the Olympics? ... And won't be retiring??? :pray:)

I'm sorry Keegan but all I can think of right now is the gala and what a great showman he is. He has so much joy and energy and it's infectious. And his baby is the cutest.

And of course there's the two Japanese youngsters who did so well. Both Shun and Yuma have great skating skills and silky smooth jumps. I don't think they've quite got the performance experience of the other guys yet but they're going and there's a lot of potential. Also, Yuma has so much speed and he makes it look effortless with just a few pushes.

Anyway, those are just some thoughts from someone who only knew the names from men's before so I have no knowledge of the general opinions towards these guys. (okay except Kolyada and Hanyu, they were previously discovered but I've found many more men to follow now!)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
This is the first time I've watched a full men's competition with both SP and FP (and live too!) but I am converted, it was so much fun! Also, with watching live, I don't care one jot for the scores and it's so refreshing. (Can you tell? I'm still buzzing haha)

Adam Siao Him Fa's program was a crowd pleaser, I loved his energy and musicality so much. I hope we get to see him at the Olympics! It was my favourite of the night which is saying a lot because there were a lot of performances that I enjoyed!

Jason's program was beautiful, you could see how much it meant to him. And congrats on the landed quad! I hope he got how much we appreciated his skating ♥️

Dmitri Aliev was another standout to me. Don't know how it comes across on camera (I was sitting opposite the judges so couldn't see the skaters faces most of the time) but his expression was very good and he seemed very into the music. Kicking myself now for swapping him out for Mozalev in the predictions because everyone else had Mozalev! Yes, I'm blaming everyone but myself. 😝

That said, Mozalev was very good too! He had the smoothest jumps of all the non-japanese men and I really liked his SP (the FP was less memorable to me but the jumps were great!).

Kevin Aymoz opening the competition with a great skate was heart warming. I was really worried after he hit his head in the SP but the crowd were really rooting for him that I think it meant a lot to everyone that he skated so well in the FP. Also, just got back from the gala and this man can do a full lap of the rink with his spread eagle :bow:

Dennis' SP is fantastic, his musicality is insane and he really goes for the choreo. But I didn't get the same feeling for his FP, he seemed a bit more tentative and slower. Hope to see the FP at its best soon. (I'm assuming he's going to the Olympics? ... And won't be retiring??? :pray:)

I'm sorry Keegan but all I can think of right now is the gala and what a great showman he is. He has so much joy and energy and it's infectious. And his baby is the cutest.

And of course there's the two Japanese youngsters who did so well. Both Shun and Yuma have great skating skills and silky smooth jumps. I don't think they've quite got the performance experience of the other guys yet but they're going and there's a lot of potential. Also, Yuma has so much speed and he makes it look effortless with just a few pushes.

Anyway, those are just some thoughts from someone who only knew the names from men's before so I have no knowledge of the general opinions towards these guys. (okay except Kolyada and Hanyu, they were previously discovered but I've found many more men to follow now!)
Omg, you were so lucky to watch it live! I also loved Fa live in SkAm. He has so much energy.

About Jason Brown, isn't this the first time in his life that he landed a quad in major competition? OK, it wasn't the finest jump in the history of skating, and he gave the points back through other errors. Still. why aren't Jason fans over the moon about this achievement? Let's hear it for the boy! :clap::clap::clap:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@Mathman Jason fans are over the moon, and everyone who wants to celebrate with us can come to the Fan Fest. :clap:

Not only am I happy for Jason, but also so very happy for Kévin's LP. I admit, I had been so worried I wanted him to withdraw, but he conquered the yips, left out jumps that would aggravate any injuries, and went for it.

Having been a Deniss V. fan for these many years, I need to get accustomed to grown up Deniss:eek: His short was great, but the long had too many unforced errors. I would have loved to see both him and Jason on the podium.

and @Lzbee thank you so much for the live report and welcome to the wonderful world of men's skating. It's a wild ride, but it's never boring:biggrin:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

So glad you enjoyed watching live and thanks for sharing your impressions. I too love to live watch and both read and add comments in the competition threads. I look forward to seeing you there, although Russia will be hard for me to watch live with work this time.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
About Jason Brown, isn't this the first time in his life that he landed a quad in major competition? OK, it wasn't the finest jump in the history of skating, and he gave the points back through other errors. Still. why aren't Jason fans over the moon about this achievement? Let's hear it for the boy! :clap::clap::clap:
Yes! I applaud him for being very determined to go for that quad here. To have done it as well as he did must feel real good and is a real confidence booster. Now, continue to make up for time lost due to injury and get some more mileage on it within the program so the other errors don't creep in. I see this as a bit of a breakthrough for him. The first time he skated it as just another jump in the program and less as a difficult hurdle.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Having been a Deniss V. fan for these many years, I need to get accustomed to grown up Deniss:eek:
You are not the only one. He has now grown to a regular Latvian "dude, you should do ice hockey" size and I am still in aftershock.
The good thing is though that Deniss himself has got accustomed to grown up Deniss and has some artistic ideas regarding that. Or, shall I say Lambiel? There was a period during Lambiel's career when he kind of wanted to be more masculine, more dramatic but his physical built failed to support that impression. So now, he can explore these artistic ideas with Deniss. (Hopefully this is not just my wishful thinking.)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You are not the only one. He has now grown to a regular Latvian "dude, you should do ice hockey" size and I am still in aftershock.
The good thing is though that Deniss himself has got accustomed to grown up Deniss and has some artistic ideas regarding that. Or, shall I say Lambiel? There was a period during Lambiel's career when he kind of wanted to be more masculine, more dramatic but his physical built failed to support that impression. So now, he can explore these artistic ideas with Deniss. (Hopefully this is not just my wishful thinking.)

That is interesting; I never thought that Stephane particularly wanted to be "more masculine" (and I'm not even sure what that means) but I loved his style as it was.

Deniss can certainly explore more mature themes, as every almost skater does when they age, but I hope he never loses the drama, the emotion and the playfulness that make him such an engaging skater to me. Not to mention broken leg sit spins:biggrin: