2021 Internationaux de France: Men's Short Program | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2021 Internationaux de France: Men's Short Program

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Shun is also really starting to come into his own, but that took him almost two years. A lot of the other guys have really struggled with the transition, and not just the Russian men. The pandemic surely didn't help, but it's sad to see so many talented guys struggle
I am just saying that it’s not just Russian men, that’s all, because Mark specifically said that success of Russian men in juniors, where Danielian had silver (he said silver in 2019, which was incorrect, Danielian was the 4th; it was Savosin who won silver) and Mozalev was JWC in 2020, doesn’t translate in seniors. I am saying it is actually typical of men.

sworddance21

On the Ice
I saw JJ do Cry and Revelations years ago. Stunning. I met her once in Fairway supermarket and was surprise that she wasn't THAT tall. Anyway, one of the women I studied with was one of the original Ailey dancers.
Who was the woman you studied with?

Skatingcat

Final Flight
Catching up now and thoughts:

Where the eff was the ref when Aymoz fell and hit his head? I am APPALLED. For his own safety, I hope he withdraws. And whoever is coach is, they need to be fired and/or arrested for making him skate when he clearly doesn't want to b/c of his injury. I hope that someone will let us know how he is feeling/doing after that fall.

Deniss and his manbun pony tail is distracting, especially because it keeps falling out of its tie. Maybe we should send him some hair spray and bobby pins? He has such a nice smile too. But a very good skate, technically and I am always happy to see him perform.

Oh Kegan. I love his energy but he seemed very sloppy today.

Jason Brown loves to skate and it's obvious and heartwarming to see. I love how he skates, even when it's messy like it was today. He skates so perfectly in time with the music. In another universe he is taking home so many world/olympic medals.

Well done Shuma! But oh, Wanna-Be-Sinatra Singer just doesn't work on the ice, in my opinion. If they could only keep the choreography and put it to different music.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Joan Peters. I studied Modern Afro dance with her at Studio of Theater Dance owned by Syvilla Forte who had been a Dunham dancer. I also took classes later for fun when Joan was teaching at the Ailey School in NYC.
That's wonderful! I studied at the Ailey extension (and do still sometimes) with Karen Arceneaux and Adrienne Hurd.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Only 1/3 of the men landed their axels cleanly... I was originally joking when I said I was going to blame the mistakes on the ice because men, but now I'm not so sure.
Jason was fantastic, as always! Even with the 3A error, he was still a delight! Deniss was also incredible. Hopefully he can have a good FS tomorrow and keep the momentum going. I'm glad Dima finally had a good skate, minus the axel pop. I'm pretty sure the ice is responsible for Shun's pop as well. A massive chunk of ice went flying when he picked in, and I'm impressed (and proud) that he turned it into a triple. I'm also really happy to see Yuma back to his old confident self (and massive quads). I'm scared for the free tomorrow, though. Send chocolate please!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shoutout to the folks in the audience with the rainbow flag! 🏳️‍🌈 I’m sure Jason/Kevin/Guillaume/Eric/Paul and any others I might have forgotten were appreciative!

I was thinking before the comp that I hoped a flag would appear, as it appeared there were many of the out skaters were entered.

🌈🌈🌈

Last edited:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
That's wonderful! I studied at the Ailey extension (and do still sometimes) with Karen Arceneaux and Adrienne Hurd.
Yes!!!! I know of them. Sadly, I can't cut it in class anymore. I'd wind up in traction even in a beginner class. Sometimes I dance around my living room but pay the price. But I really miss it.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Yes!!!! I know of them. Sadly, I can't cut it in class anymore. I'd wind up in traction even in a beginner class. Sometimes I dance around my living room but pay the price. But I really miss it.
Karen has a lovely Friday evening beginner class on zoom. It is only 1 hour. I do what I can. My 57 year old hip ain't what it used to be - but her class is good for my soul.

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
#JasonBrown 🇺🇸 #IdF SP 89.39 In practice he did a spiral in practice, a tricky spiral but it was only partially shown in the SP. "It was something we are playing with variations and upgrade them and it will continue to develop as the season goes on."

He's after more and wants those high 90s!
What do you think his maximum score is on this program? Maybe a 98?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Now I'm catching up on the men

Romain - Dang he's a good looking gentleman, are he and Mariah still dating? And didn't Sasha Samarin skate to this music :laugh: He's struggling with the jumps, but I'm digging the slides (I'm usually not on board with them). Low score though, bummer.

Gabriele - Aw his little face as he came out to centre ice. Woah! That lean on the 3A! Honestly I'd give him extra points for not falling on his face there :laugh2: I'm seriously amused by the song lyrics "I wanna drive you wild, wild, wild". But wow below Romain!

Artur!!! Bring us the Olé. Oh sheeeeeet on that 3A fall! Is he OK 😳 He's really got the 🔥going on here though! Step sequence level 4!

Andrei - Was that the sound of breaking glass as he fell on his 4S? Kinda funny if so. Oops on the 3A too... should count towards the interpretation mark though... Man...it was a rough ride.

:laugh: at Mark giving us a history lesson on Russia men.

But wow 8 points behind Artur...

Adam! May the Force Be With You!

Yaass! Come to the dark side we have quad combos!

But not 3As...

This step sequence is freaking awesome though. Man remember when Benoit Richaud did boss choreo?

Shun - Oh yeah he had that injury at Skate America, hope he's all healed up! Wow that quad combo! It looked like he could have put more rotations in that without batting an eye!

Aww the thought of BB!Shun watching Yuzu win 2014.

That was quality business though.

Onto Group 2!

Kevin - I saw on Insta he had a horror skate so I'm gonna skip over him. All I can say is the French Fed is horrible for not protecting him! That is so messed up, he's such a special skater. :( He deserves better. And I hope he was checked for concussion if he hit his head, poor guy.

Oh and the women's FS is starting...well I'll catch up with the rest of the menfolk later.

Bad news: SBS Australia decided not to livestream this event or Rostelecom

Good news: ISU unblocked the Youtube stream preemptively so they must have communicated this to the ISU better than they did to the viewers
What?! Noooo SBS! Why?! Although for some odd reason that have the women and RD events on their streaming page. Men and pairs are missing.

But what about Brendan being at Rostelecom?

(It's just occurred to me maybe they're not streaming because most of this and Rostelecom will be in the middle of the night. But Torino was too so... :scratch2:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Returns for Group 2

Deniss - You gotta love him, ponytail and all. Stephane must be so thrilled he's got the 3A down (his nemesis!) and that 3lz I thought he was going to fly outta the rink! 😍 Also the contrast between Deniss's super messy hair and Stephane's elegantly coiffed do is hilarious :laugh2: And wow 4 languages! Skaters are so full of talent! And a PB!

Dima - I love Dima, he' s so elegant! Look at that armography, stunning. Wow! His 3Lz was just a high as Deniss's!

Oh no a 2A! :( But look at him fly in that step sequence! Level 4 ☺️

Awww, man I can't believe they brought out the technology to re-show the popped 2A. Rude :p

Keegan! I shan't hear a word against Keegan, those knees man. Plus I love the sassiness at the judges ;) Rock star. That Russian split 😘

He "The strength of his quads (the muscle)" Quads for quads! And the haaaat 🤠

( :laugh2: "That's probably his son..." Well yeah Mark it's be pretty awkward if he just has a photo of some random baby on his phone)

Jason - He looks even slinkier than usual after compact Keegan! But the 3A of D00M reads its ugly head. Look at him go though!

Ha ha love the flags! I would totally vote Jason for Mayor! That'd be the happiest town in the world!

(It's just occurred to me... I've never actually seen a Russian skater do a Russian split...what's up with that?)

Behind Deniss! But Deniss was utterly perfect so fair enough.

Yuma - I'm still confused by the dislike of this SP. It's so cute and fun! His little face, his sparklely shirt, those jumps!! Pocketography!! It's got everything! Shoma will always be the cutest to me, but Yuma is Assistant Treasurer of the Small and Mighty Club (I need to write out the members...I'm not sure I have them all...Keegan might be missing! 😳)

That reminds me I need to check out Kagiyama Snr on YouTube see how he compares. :)

Apart from Kevin that was really quite a wonderful SP event.

Having said that though, I'm very concerned for Kevin, as I mentioned yesterday. The French Fed are beyond the pale if they're forcing him to compete when he's not recovered yet! I have an awful feeling that they're threatening not to consider him for the Olympic spot if he doesn't. :( If that's true, it's sick and wrong.

And whoever is coach is, they need to be fired and/or arrested for making him skate when he clearly doesn't want to b/c of his
Yes, Kevin's coach is not a nice person, she was involved with silencing the victim of Cipres back in 2017. It's a shame Kevin is still with her... I wouldn't be surprised if she's pressuring Kevin as much as the French Fed. Probably looking for a way to make people forget her horrible actions. 😡 (Pro-tip Ms Fontana you don't make up for horrible actions by engaging in more horrible actions. But I guess you wouldn't understand that)

Right off to the pairs short now.
Well done Shuma!
Just saw this...imagining Yuma and Shoma combined in one skater would be insanity! The knee bends! The rotation speed and quadriceps power would make sextuples possible :laugh2:

Last edited: