2021 Internationaux de France: Pairs Short Program | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2021 Internationaux de France: Pairs Short Program

LadyB

Record Breaker
Very happy with that outcome. I was slightly off in my predictions, but I'm much happier the way it is.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
#JamesRadford 🇨🇦 #IdF SP "We are getting mileage and are meshing and it's getting really fluid and easy. Today was a big step and we are very pleased and we are hoping for a good long program tomorrow!"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
#BoikovaKozlovskii
🇷🇺
#IdF SP "We did a good job and our program already looked whole and we were able to develop the character and we are happy the judges appreciated it."

gold12345

Medalist
One of Boikova/Kozlovskii's best throw triple flips in recent memory. And she did it after a jump mistake, so even better.

Artemeva/Nazarychev scoring as high as +4 for their twist is just wrong. It's one of the lowest twists in Senior International pairs right now. Not every Russian pair is the same and deserves massive GOE on every element, and we should recognize this team has a weak twist and her feet don't get over his head. Yes, they medaled at their previous GP, but it was a weak field and they only scored in the upper 180s, so I don't think that warrants some scoring boost at this event (if that's indeed what's happening with this team; their twist GOE were too high at their first GP too). There's more to a twist than just a clean catch; the clean catch is the basic requirement.

James/Radford looked more comfortable in this skate than in any of their prior skates. Switching to the easier throw salchow seemed to help the cleanliness.

Last edited:

gold12345

Medalist
Why are Alexa and Brandon losing levels on the twist?

For some reason it was incorrectly called Level 2, but it was corrected to Level 3 on the protocol sheet. I guess Brandon could make sure his arms are straighter when he drops them, but they don't have to be fully straight to get the level, so I don't know why it was initially called Level 2.

They normally get Level 3/4 on the twist, depending how strict the caller is about the angle of the woman's split legs. When pairs do a strong twist with seemingly no issues and get Level 3, it's usually because the angle of one/both of the woman's legs aren't at 45 degrees, not because they messed something up. Alexa has great twist technique of really driving the right leg upwards and not having it at the same exact angle as her left leg (this helps generate height), which makes her split more "right" than "center". That should be enough to fulfill the split level (especially since she keeps her legs straighter than most), but 45 degrees is the magic number they settled on even though they don't get out a protractor and measure 45 degrees.

It was good to see them do a much better twist today than the ones they did at Skate America. They've still done better ones before, but this one was strong, smooth and comfortable.

Last edited:

gold12345

Medalist
Yes, it was a strong step forward for Alexa & Brandon, and it definitely felt more than 4 points better than Skate America. So still work to be done to maximize their points. They scored 76 earlier in the season and should be able to do it again. They jumped confidently here (and with perfect sync, which they've had to work on). Their twist was better, the death spiral was better (but the level went down here??), most of it was better except the throw.

Their throw 3F has gotten much bigger/more explosive since they started skating together. They do it earlier in their SP on fresher legs than they do in their LP, so maybe this one had a little too much adrenaline behind it, because it just looked off. But it's an area where they can stand out since so many pairs don't get much distance or height (or both) on their throws.

The strange camera work didn't allow me to take in the program as much as I did at SA- many bird's eye views, and zooming into Alexa's face during the entire lift, and filming their throw transition from behind, and very few camera angles the judges actually watch from. But they tend to skate a bit more free in the LP. They get better when they compete more. Overall they did well and it was a well skated event.

Alexa looked like she expected to lead with mistake

Their coach Todd Sand looked more perplexed about the score/placement than Alexa did. Alexa is a perfectionist and was probably upset about the stepout. But they likely expected to not have to be flawless to be ahead of the Russian pair. Given that Artemeva/Nazarychev only scored 61 at GP Italy with a fall (and just 187 overall), it was unexpected they would score 73 here even while clean. One judge gave A/N +4 on their twist and K/F +1 (this judge was also a bit stingy with James/Radford). Artemeva/Nazarychev have the weakest twist among higher level Russian pairs in recent memory. It lacks explosiveness, she hardly gets her legs apart to attempt the split, the twist doesn't really clear his head, and she's merely rotating fast to get it done. Their twist hasn't changed since GP Italy where they got +1s and +2s in the SP, which is still generous but at least it's not +4. A/N skated their best today and deserved to score well in other areas, but they aren't doing a +3/+4 twist.

Also, whose throw was better, Artemeva/Nazarychev or Boikova/Kozlovskii? Why did they score nearly the same GOE? Those are not the same looking throw, B/K's was very clearly superior and bigger. There should be better differentiation between fine and great elements. It's much easier to land a throw when you're thrown low to the ice. So with Artemeva/Nazarychev being scored more like a top pair today, Knierim/Frazier needed to have their best stuff in the SP, which I wasn't expecting because I don't see A/N as quite there.

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Catching up on the pairs now!

Ha ha I'd like to thank Mark for pointing out the Kovalev pair are married...not brother and sister. I take it they're doing a saucy SP and it would have been a real WTF moment if we didn't know ;)

A gentleman is wearing a bowtie and a lady had a yellow dress. I feel like we'll get some good song choices here!

And we begin!

Mr and Mrs Kovalev - Ha ha yeah if I'd thought they were siblings this would have been so awkward. But OMG this music, it's so bad it's good! Ok maybe it's just bad, but so many questions about who found it, how they found it and why they though it was a good idea to use it! :laugh: I like 'em though! Nice SBS spin!

Coline and Noel-Antoine - love the yellow dress and the vest. And Blues Brothers music, awesome! Cool program! Abd I just noticed Noel has yellow accents on his vest too! Love that attention to detail.

Am I the only one weirded out by Mark's casual mentions of Cipres? It's cringey. Although I guess calling him "Vanessa's former partner" is also awkward.

Eric/Vanessa - It's hard to get on board with these two. Apart from anything else this cover of Shiny Happy People is...bad, like it's trying to make a deep statement, but it just not doing it for me. Guess you can't deny they've got good elements and all that.

Hmpf not sure it's fascinating, Mark? Like I defended Eric at first, but honestly? How crappy of him to go behind Meagan's back. Like he literally strung her along in case Plan A didn't work out? That was not fair and I don't think he's apologised for it.

Iuliia and Mikhail - OMG they're too cute! I die! Suspenders and bowtie, you know that's my weakness people ;) That was so fun! Great work guys! Into the lead :)

Interesting to think Pairs ladies have a longer skating life than singles I mean the throw jumps!

Group 2!

Filippo is such a character, I love his face ;)

It's a shame the ice quality here isn't the best, it sure looks nice from far away!

:laugh: The camera man couldn't find Brandon during his and Alexa's intro.

Did Alexa change her dress? I'm not sure I'm on board with this one.

Ioulia and Mark - Quality costume matching here. And the only skaters from Hungary to qualify for the Olympics!

Aw no double fall! Although as someone pointed out it seems unfair to ding them 2 points when the pair is judged solely on the worst SBS jump.

Spiral Level B?! But I liked it :( and I usually hate back outside spirals. Boo.

And another deduction for a late start? Oh no :( Damn second last, that's harsh.

Alexa and Brandon - Hey she dropped the Scimeca.

Ooo problems with some of the elements, but nice SBS jumps and great expression too! It's a fiery program.

Filippo and Rebecca - I love Italians! They're just so extra! Her dress is so cute too. OMG what is this music change?! Quite a choice ;)

Dima and Sasha -
Can someone explain why Dmitrii Kozlovskii has two i's in both his names?
He's just that extra ;)

Real answer: I think it's just the way he and/or the Rus Fed chose to transliterate the й's in his name.

It is interesting to see Team Moskvina go all SRS BSNS with these two. They were always kinda of cheeky and smiley. I wonder if they requested the change themselves thinking that SRS BSNS music wins Olympics. I guess they're right, but still...how awesome would it be to have Mambo Italiano or Adam S-H's Star Wars as the wining music (I'm still sad that Yuzu didn't keep Let Me Entertain You like OMG that would have been epic!)

Right, that was also a good event!

Now I have to catch up with the Free Skates! Luckily the weather is terrible out there so I don't have a hankering to go outside... :laugh: